Author Topic: Wanted - Non-functioning or Orphaned FOB  (Read 3558 times)

Offline 2tired

Wanted - Non-functioning or Orphaned FOB
« on: July 12, 2013, 09:32:00 AM »
If you have one, I'd be willing to pay for shipping and a tank of gas in exchange.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Wanted - Non-functioning or Orphaned FOB
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 01:59:29 PM »
This is going to be interesting... :popcorn:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 02:14:15 PM »
ok, somebody's gotta ask. What for?

Offline 2tired

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2013, 07:33:13 PM »
Short version...

I'm looking for part(s) off it.

Longer version...

It started when I left one of my fobs on the back of my KLR.  Several hours later my daughter and I jumped on the KLR, neither one of us noticing the fob (her excuse is that she's eight years old... i have no excuse) and the fob fell off within the first 50 ft.  My neighbor found it and returned it to me but it had been run over.  The case was torn up but, to my surprise, it still worked... or I thought it did (more on that later).

I jumped on the COG forum and asked the same question: "Does anyone have a non-working fob" so that I could put my fob's guts in an un-mangled case.  A forum member whose C14 was totaled offered and sent me a his fob.

The replacement fob arrived and I swapped out the circuit boards.

I didn't ride the bike until a few days later.  On that ride I stopped to get gas and, while digging through my tailbag looking for my mileage log, found... my other fob.  I did a quick check at the pump and found that the fob I thought was good, was bad.  It would not start the bike unless I took out the key and placed it against the ignition switch. 

I was talking about all of this with a co-worker of mine.  He used to do electronics design and assembly and asked me to bring it by so he could look at it.

I brought both fobs to work and we looked them over at lunch.  He noticed that one of components looked visibly damaged and he would see if he could find a replacement that evening.  Not surprisingly, he couldn't.  Then he asked me if I could get my hands on a non-functioning unit where that component was still good.  I said that I already had one.

The bad part is that I cannot find the circuit board that came with the donated fob.  I haven't posted on this forum yet so I thought this would be a good time..

Can he fix it?  I don't know.  But a new fob is $200 so I'm willing to pony up a few bucks and let him try.

Offline p07r0457

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2013, 07:52:01 PM »
which part is damaged?  You've peeked my curiosity.
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS - Candy Diamond Red
1986 Honda CB700SC Nighthawk S - Candy Aleutian Blue and Shasta White
2017 Acura MDX SH-AWD Advance - White Diamond Pearl
2018 Infiniti QX30 Premium AWD - Majestic White

Offline 2tired

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2013, 09:34:32 PM »
There is one component that is silver, about 1mm x 3mm (guessing), and it's right beside of the ICs.  It's one of the larger parts.  All the other are WAY too small for my aging eyes.  IIRC the number 500 or 50 is stamped on the top.  No other marks. 

My co-worker noticed that the top of this part on the bad fob was pressed in.  It's not on the working fob; it's flat.  He thinks he can swap these components.

This is from memory so forgive me if it's off a little.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2013, 08:18:13 AM »
Wonderful!  This would be an excellent thread to put in the C14 area.   I can move this over there if you like?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline 2tired

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2013, 03:54:18 PM »
No objection from me.  Please do.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2013, 03:39:54 AM »
Your wish is my command...

Offline p07r0457

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2013, 05:48:12 PM »
There is one component that is silver, about 1mm x 3mm (guessing), and it's right beside of the ICs.  It's one of the larger parts.  All the other are WAY too small for my aging eyes.  IIRC the number 500 or 50 is stamped on the top.  No other marks. 

My co-worker noticed that the top of this part on the bad fob was pressed in.  It's not on the working fob; it's flat.  He thinks he can swap these components.

This is from memory so forgive me if it's off a little.

If its the silver component in the upper left of this image, it says "31500 E 82K" on it.  I tried searching some component supplies (such as DigiKey) but I was unsuccessful in finding a replacement.

2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS - Candy Diamond Red
1986 Honda CB700SC Nighthawk S - Candy Aleutian Blue and Shasta White
2017 Acura MDX SH-AWD Advance - White Diamond Pearl
2018 Infiniti QX30 Premium AWD - Majestic White

Offline 2tired

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2013, 09:10:53 AM »
Nope, it's the component labeled X1.  Just to the left of the larger IC.

Offline fmwhit

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2013, 02:49:21 PM »
X1 usually indicates a crystal(xtal), later designated as x in electronics.  It is used for controlling freq.  But the component that I see in the picture does not look like a xtal.  I wish you good luck.