Author Topic: Sparkplug connections  (Read 2030 times)

Offline snarf

• Arena
Sparkplug connections
« on: October 10, 2011, 11:33:17 AM »
I was playing around with my old stock coils and I noticed that inside the boot the connectors have a small spring clip like device.  I am talking about the little piece that threads in and retains the resistor.  Two of the clips have rusted completely out.  Are these a consumable item? Where can I find em
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline George R. Young

• Concours 2001 Farkles
Re: Sparkplug connections
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 01:25:14 PM »
Ball-point pens?
65 CB160 (67-69), 69 350GTR (69-72), 72 R5, 73 RD350 (73-84), 82 XZ550 Vision (84-03), 01 Concours C10 (03-19), 89 EX250 (11-14), 00 SV650S (14-16), 03 SV650S (19-)

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 03:17:04 PM »
Ball-point pens?
From the rusted pieces that I pulled out  they would appear to be more like a tiny 'E' clip
The part that I am referring to holds the tip off the sparkplug ribs.
2002 Conc

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 07:51:47 PM »
Anybody? I'm sure that I am not wording this very well. Inside of the sparkplug boot there is a small brass threaded insert. It has two purposes as far as I can tell.
1. It holds in what I can only pressume is the resistor for elect noise suppression.
2. When you press the boot over the tip of the sparkplug it locks it on.
There is a grove in this piece that used to have a retaining clip. This clip grips onto the groves on the tip of the plug.
Mine are rusted out.
I have stick coils so please don't suggest them. I am just trying something out.
2002 Conc

Offline redzgrider

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 07:55:42 PM »
Several of us have looked at exactly the same parts you are -- I'm pretty sure that replacements are your choice of Murph's new NGK plug boots (and wires), mother kawasaki new coils with plug wires attached (yeah, and just as affordable as that sounds), and PMing Tcro about a set of his modified coil on plug sets. By all accounts, the coil on plug is the best way to go, though I have the NGK plug boots from Gary Murphy.
Don't be too surprised if you fix some carburetor trouble with new plug caps...

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2011, 08:01:21 PM »
Best guess, the clip is not available individually.

You may be able to fabricate one from a section of music (spring) wire. It looks like a "D" when done, and should barely float in the slot. It's function is to ratchet over the threads on the top of the sparklers.

The brass holder does retain a small resistor in the plug cap.

Both are in my semi-routine maintenance schedule. I remove the brass cap and make sure all the bits are clean and lightly oiled/greased with dialectric grease. If the wire "D" looses it's grip, the plug cap can easily pop off.

Rick
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org