Author Topic: Rear shock and spring specs.  (Read 10725 times)

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
Re: Rear shock and spring specs.
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2016, 06:04:33 AM »
I remember that.  A lot of the after market Jeep (and others) bumpers are already welded up air tight when manufactured.  A few either use them as air tanks or a water tank.  Some have added RV water tanks and pumps underneath the body too.  I would be worried about rust thru at some point though.  Maybe use POR-15 first?  Pretty nice to have when out in the middle of no where with no good water source.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2016, 06:23:24 AM »
I remember that.  A lot of the after market Jeep (and others) bumpers are already welded up air tight when manufactured.  A few either use them as air tanks or a water tank.  Some have added RV water tanks and pumps underneath the body too.  I would be worried about rust thru at some point though.  Maybe use POR-15 first?  Pretty nice to have when out in the middle of no where with no good water source.

When I bought my mini truck in 89 my dad gave me a length of some 3" drill tubing from the oil rigs, it had a 5/16" thick wall. We build the rest of the bumper out of 3/8" plate... Needless to say that when I once got rear-ended on an icy road the Chevy front bumper simply folded under and I got shot forward like a pinball with only a scratch in my paint....
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2016, 06:33:57 AM »
That would be a pretty hefty (and heavy) bumper with 5/16" stuff.  You don't want to smack into the rear (or front) of my Jeep either.  It's only 1/4" with some 3/16" on the tire carrier though.  The class III hitch hiding under the bumper is probably what would tear the car up though.  The pic is from the Apple Blossom parade in Winchester VA.

I'm surprise Ted hasn't chimed in relating the bumpers on his model T.

I think we got off topic but perhaps it doesn't matter.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline timmerz

« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2016, 07:49:17 PM »
Funny, as I was riding both my bigger bikes today, I was wondering if it would ever be possible to squeeze a Voyager XII 1200cc motor into the Connie frame...

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2016, 11:32:52 PM »
Funny, as I was riding both my bigger bikes today, I was wondering if it would ever be possible to squeeze a Voyager XII 1200cc motor into the Connie frame...

ZRX 1200 has been done, design by Dan Bergmen and followed by at least one other.
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline txfatboy

« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2016, 07:36:22 PM »

The Voyager engine is a different engine family and physically taller than the zrx/zx10/concourse engine. It would require major surgery to the frame to work. I have an untitled frame I am saving just to see what it would take. All I need is someone to donate a voyager minus all the bodywork. ;)
Woody
2014 V-Max
1991 Connie, 17 inch wheels,  ZRX1200 forks with racetech valves and brakes, zx9/ zzr1200 hybrid rear shock, 2 min mod and exhaust cam sprocket from SISF, tubular handle bars, hywy pegs, HID headlight and LED running lights.