Author Topic: brrrrrrrr  (Read 57764 times)

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
Re: brrrrrrrr
« Reply #160 on: March 04, 2015, 09:16:40 PM »
When "my" warm front brings you 75 and sunshine I'll be more than happy to take the thanks. ;) ;) :chugbeer:
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline Conrad

« Reply #161 on: March 05, 2015, 05:06:52 AM »
Our forecast calls for above freezing (during the day) all next week!   ;D

Just gotta get through the rest of this week and it'll be time to get my bike out from under it's cover in the back of the garage.

It's zero right now with a high of 14 today with a low of 5 below tonight.   :_shudder_Emoticon
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #162 on: March 05, 2015, 05:57:02 AM »
Depending on who's thermometer you look at, we are between -9 & -13 this morning.
We are forecast for warmer next week, too. Gonna wait until a rain washes off the road a little before I venture out, though. :chugbeer:

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #163 on: March 05, 2015, 06:33:24 AM »
Gradual warm up here in Cleveburg, good, as rain will cause MAJOR flooding with a 2 foot snowpack. Is there really that much ice on the ground that when it melts, the oceans will rise? Because, I am of the opinion that any ice already in the water, ie: the north pole, and a lot of the south pole, when melted will act much like an ice cube in my gin and tonic, meaning, when the cube melts, the delicious liquid in my glass stays at the same height. ;D
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline jettawreck

« Reply #164 on: March 05, 2015, 08:40:45 AM »
This is getting a bit old.
3/5/15 should be better than this.
-22F at home when I left for work. -27F there.
This street bike thing is all new to me.
Snowmobiles-I have a bunch of those.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #165 on: March 05, 2015, 03:10:15 PM »
Mainly due to the spin of the Earth and the equatorial directors...it's common knowledge.

naaaaaahhhh

it's just that the fattest people live there, and the ground level is being pushed downwards....

kinda like "Chuck Norris doesn't do push up's, the ground moves downwards...."

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #166 on: March 05, 2015, 03:23:25 PM »
It snowed again here and this time it was the wet, heavy snow of warmer temperatures (usually called 'heart attack' snow 'cause this is the stuff that..... well, you know). It stuck to everything and I have to say, this is the most beautiful snow of the season for me. There are a lot of 'canopied' roads around there, where the branches and twigs of the trees on both sides meet in the middle; when this kind of snow occurs, everything in all directions is pure white, including looking 'up'. Of course this is a motorcycle forum, and lots of people do not care for the winter season anyway, never mind the loss of riding time but I have to say, I would really miss this season if I did not have it at least every two or three years. Besides there being something fundamentally wrong with an air conditioner making the branches of a Christmas Tree move around  ::) , winter is actually enjoyable, at least for some of us. Besides all that, my snowblower is a Honda so it is not all that big a stretch from a Kawasaki anyway. :-)

It is going down to 3F tonight and 9F tomorrow night so this stuff is going to freeze into a big, white rock. Best shovel or blow it out of the way now folks 'cause in two days you might need a pickaxe to break it up beforehand.  :o

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #167 on: March 05, 2015, 03:29:46 PM »
I hate this  :censored: .
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #168 on: March 05, 2015, 03:33:24 PM »
So the current vote looks like this:

In favor: 1
Opposed: 1

:rotflmao: :rotflmao:

My son has been getting days off / days working from home left and right. It seems they close Washington D.C. if there is anyone even thinking about it snowing....  In fact, he is not too far from you in VA Jim (he lives in VA, works in Washington).

Brian

I hate this  :censored: .
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Pilgrim

• '12 Black
« Reply #169 on: March 05, 2015, 04:29:34 PM »

Add one more to the "In favor" column.  February produced a lot of snow here (New England).

All the snow on the roof of houses has created some incredible ice dams and icicles. 

How many of you had water damage from the ice dams?

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #170 on: March 05, 2015, 07:51:07 PM »
I got a roof rake a few years back as I used to get really bad ice dams, its one of the best things I got in awhile for the house. It really works well, anybody that has this problem should look into getting one, they are not expensive to buy, and if you are handy around the house, you can make one yourself.

http://www.zoro.com/i/G4573396/?utm_source=Bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=PLA
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #171 on: March 06, 2015, 06:40:44 AM »
February produced a lot of snow here (New England).

How many of you had water damage from the ice dams?

I'm in Nova Scotia...just across the water from New England, so we get the same weather.

I have a foot of snow on my roof, and in some places more than a foot, but no ice dams. I cleared the gutters this week, and everything seem to melt ok when warms. However, the manager in our office here says his roof is leaking.

It was 7*F last night, and only 20*F today, so nothing is melting at the moment...lol. Weekend is looking like 34 degrees on both days, so that'll start to soften things up a bit...lol.

Rem
“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #172 on: March 06, 2015, 06:52:02 AM »
So the current vote looks like this:

In favor: 1
Opposed: 1

:rotflmao: :rotflmao:

My son has been getting days off / days working from home left and right. It seems they close Washington D.C. if there is anyone even thinking about it snowing....  In fact, he is not too far from you in VA Jim (he lives in VA, works in Washington).

Brian

There's a reason they do that.  No one around here can drive in the snow and the ones that know how shouldn't be on the road as the ones that don't know how to drive in it take them out.

This morning 95 south was closed for icing as a truck jack knifed and blocked every thing.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Classvino

• Longtime Kawi Rider
« Reply #173 on: March 06, 2015, 10:40:04 AM »
There's a reason they do that.  No one around here can drive in the snow and the ones that know how shouldn't be on the road as the ones that don't know how to drive in it take them out.

This morning 95 south was closed for icing as a truck jack knifed and blocked every thing.

Reminds me of the time we got onto I44 (at Joplin headed north) despite it being closed due to some ice and/or snow...  We saw no signs or anything, I guess everyone down there just knows these things;  Here's a transcript of our interaction with the Trooper that pulled us over somewhere near Springfield, as I remember it :  (I was about 25 at the time - he looked younger...)

Trooper : What the h*ll are you doin out here...  The highways been closed since midnight...
Me : Sorry - there was no sign, I didn't realize...
Trooper : Didn't realize what?  The roads are undriveable.
Me : Really...  They don't seem all that bad...
Trooper : (with and incredulous look)  Not too bad?  Where the h*ll you from, son?  (amusing, as I think he was younger than me)
Me : Well, we're just heading home to Canada after a three week business trip...
Trooper : CANADA?  Well, I guess you boys are used to these kinda conditions...  See a lot of this, huh?  How much further you headed?
Me : Springfield Airport - two exits, I think...
Trooper : Yup. 2nd exit. Then turn (I forget which direction now...)
Me : Anywhere to get a coffee between here and the airport?
Trooper : There's a pretty good diner bout a half mile down that road.
Me : Thanks - I could use a decent coffee...
Trooper : I think I'll join you...

Despite his initial gruffness, he turned out to be a great guy - followed us in to the restaurant. Not sure if he just wanted us off the highway, or actually wanted to talk about Canada - he'd never been there...  He even paid for the coffee - wouldn't let us buy him one - said he wasn't allowed to...

Jamie
2013 C14 - First "new" bike
1983 CB1100F, 1977 GS850, 1974 KH750 H2, 1974 KH500 H1, 1975 KH400 S3, 1979 RD 400 Daytona......

Offline Conrad

« Reply #174 on: March 06, 2015, 12:03:01 PM »
My oldest son grew up here and learned how to drive in the winters of northern Illinois (he's naturally a great driver, being my son you know). He now lives in Tennessee and calls me with stories of the locals not knowing how to drive in the snow and the store shelves getting emptied when the forecast calls for 2 inches of snow. His boys have been off of school for two days now because of a couple of inches of snow and a bit of ice.   ;)

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #175 on: March 06, 2015, 12:07:56 PM »
His boys have been off of school for two days now because of a couple of inches of snow and a bit of ice.   ;)
Wimps. (The school not the boys)

Offline Conrad

« Reply #176 on: March 06, 2015, 12:17:22 PM »
Wimps. (The school not the boys)

I know! Bunch of babies down there.

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #177 on: March 06, 2015, 09:27:46 PM »
I know! Bunch of babies down there.

When I was young my dad made us clean the lake every morning before we went to bed. And we had it real easy compared to others as I once heard of 12 people living in a shoebox in the middle of the road..

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #178 on: March 06, 2015, 09:56:46 PM »

When I was young my dad made us clean the lake every morning before we went to bed. And we had it real easy compared to others as I once heard of 12 people living in a shoebox in the middle of the road..

Road? I guess some folks had it REALLY easy. I remember how rich I felt when I got my barbed wire shoes.
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #179 on: March 06, 2015, 11:49:04 PM »
Road? I guess some folks had it REALLY easy. I remember how rich I felt when I got my barbed wire shoes.

SHOES? You had it real easy with shoes! We had to sell the skin on the soles of our feet to a vendor who made faux leather jackets out of them!