Author Topic: Left handle bar control interchangeable?  (Read 1343 times)

Offline bolling

Left handle bar control interchangeable?
« on: April 09, 2012, 07:52:53 PM »

Are the left handle bar control module (light switch, horn button etc.) interchangeable between the early and late C10's? I know the buttons have a different look but can I swap out the whole thing for a latter model?

Offline snarf

• Arena
Re: Left handle bar control interchangeable?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 06:31:19 AM »
IIRC they are interchangeable, but not exactly plug and play.  I cannot remember the specifics at the moment; I'm sure somebody will be by shortly
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 09:04:17 AM »
Looking at the wiring diagram, it looks to be plug-and-play.  With one possible exception.  There is an extra wire on the earlier bikes that is part of the "Reserve Lighting Device" circuitry.  I think all that will happen using the newer switches on an older bike is that the RLD won't work anymore.

Assuming nothing has been rewired on the bike, all the wires going through the connector should be the same color combinations on each side of the connector.  (Easy enough to check before you even plug it in.)  You'll just have a "spare" BLUE/ORANGE wire on the bike side when you get done.

Since the positive voltage for the headlight goes through the RLD on the early bikes, you may have to remove and bypass it.  That is accomplished by removing the RLD and putting a jumper between the BLUE and the BLUE/ORANGE wires on the connector.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 09:45:28 AM »
Looking at the wiring diagram, it looks to be plug-and-play.  With one possible exception.  There is an extra wire on the earlier bikes that is part of the "Reserve Lighting Device" circuitry.  I think all that will happen using the newer switches on an older bike is that the RLD won't work anymore.

Assuming nothing has been rewired on the bike, all the wires going through the connector should be the same color combinations on each side of the connector.  (Easy enough to check before you even plug it in.)  You'll just have a "spare" BLUE/ORANGE wire on the bike side when you get done.

Since the positive voltage for the headlight goes through the RLD on the early bikes, you may have to remove and bypass it.  That is accomplished by removing the RLD and putting a jumper between the BLUE and the BLUE/ORANGE wires on the connector.
Seems to me I remember Jimmy fighting this problem when he put a newer switch assembly on the 86 project bike.
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline bolling

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 10:07:49 AM »
Thanks for the replies