Author Topic: How hard is the valve adjust really....  (Read 8137 times)

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
Re: How hard is the valve adjust really....
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2011, 03:52:57 PM »
<SNIP> You may have to bend them somewhat but that is no problem as long as they are not bent so far they kink.

Brian
That is exactly what I was getting at but could not think of a better way to say it. What I am concerned with is the spring pressure caused by "bend[ing] them somewhat". How much does this spring pressure add to the resistance felt?
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2011, 03:57:21 PM »
I prefer flat....I can make bent if needed....
Buy bulk 12" long ones from McMaster-Carr, and use those, I loath having to use "sets" that are rivetted or bolted together, they are a p.i.t.a. to manipulate, for as many different ones you need, having them loose saves a lot of time.
Thanks MOB, I take it you buy the individual sizes needed in 12" length and cut them down?
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2011, 08:34:41 PM »
The resistance is not really any issue: using feeler gauges in this application is a 'go / no- go' process and not one that depends on feel. Setting ignition points in the olden days with feeler gauges (anybody remember how terrible that was- I do not miss it one bit) did depend on feel because you could force the points open with too big of a feeler gauge. But checking engine valves is different because you cannot force the valve to open to permit a 'too big' feeler to go in-between the cam and the follower (bucket). So if a given size goes, the gap or lash is at least as big as that gauge; when you finally try the 'too big' gauge it simply will not fit (the 'no go' size) and the gap is something smaller than that feeler gauge. So you can push as hard as you want on the feeler gauges when checking valves. The final limitation will actually be the feelers themselves because they will buckle.

Brian

That is exactly what I was getting at but could not think of a better way to say it. What I am concerned with is the spring pressure caused by "bend[ing] them somewhat". How much does this spring pressure add to the resistance felt?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com