Author Topic: These really are nice bikes  (Read 8117 times)

Offline daklugdad

These really are nice bikes
« on: September 29, 2013, 06:41:40 PM »
I'm on my second one, first was an 86, current one is a 2000 with only 20K on it.  I really like this bike, it does everything I ask, fits me like a old pair of jeans and still puts a smile on my face when I walk away and look back at it.  Just last weekend I did some long overdue maintenance, changed the oil/filter, rear diff grease/oil, suspension oil change shock/fork, brake pads, new tires and a general cleaning up.  Man, it looks good!  Valves are still good, starts easy, runs sharp and the first ride showed I should have done the suspension sooner.  Much nicer ride now, much better connection with the road, looking forward to next summer already.  I've ridden the new Connies and they are nice but for the money I'm just not going to get rid of this girl unless I win the Lottery or something. But then I'd probably still keep it as a buddy bike...
DK

Offline IraB

Re: These really are nice bikes
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 09:51:54 PM »
Could not agree more!

New to Connies and have only owned "Kawazilla" for a few months.  Got her tuned to a tee and every time I ride this bike I fall more in love with it. 

Rode to work today and had to ride home in our first big windstorm of the year. Sideways rain with gusts of 70 MPH.

http://mynorthwest.com/646/2364567/Prepare-for-hurricane-force-winds-in-Northwest-Washington

Can't say it was fun but I never had a doubt Kawazilla would get me home in one piece.

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 09:57:08 PM »
+2

Bought my first one in 1994, have 170k plus miles on her. Repainted the plastic a few years back, quite a few tires and oil filters, couple of seals, set of bags (stupid corners ;) ), couple of cams and rockers...

Bought a 2001 in 2004 or so, Harry and Coty (Netherlands) have racked up almost 100k on that one.

Pretty basic bikes, as new bikes go, but they seem to do everything quite well.

Rick
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline gtr a14

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 03:23:53 AM »
Yep, my third c10, had a 86 a3 in white (lots of fun drivers thought it was a cop bike) then a 92 a5 in red and my current 02 a15 in red/purple. Have had triumphs, yamahas,aprillias u name it but still love connie  ;)

Offline cmoore

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 03:39:15 AM »
I've had my C-10 for just shy of 9 years now. It is a great bike. I was riding my bicycle yesterday when a C-14 went by me nice and slow and I started thinking man that sure would be nice. But reality hit quick. My C-10 is paid for, the insurance is cheap, the bike has all the power and than some I need and it's fun to ride and work on. Why in the world would I want to get rid of it? Nope, I'm going to keep her until the kids are out of school and then...
2010 C14
Dallas, Texas

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 04:10:48 AM »
Yep, my third c10, had a 86 a3 in white (lots of fun drivers thought it was a cop bike) then a 92 a5 in red and my current 02 a15 in red/purple. Have had triumphs, yamahas,aprillias u name it but still love connie  ;)
What's this 'a' designation I see on eu bikes?

Offline gtr a14

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2013, 08:46:57 AM »
Hi, A is  just model identification a1 was first uk model 1986, a15 is last uk model 2001

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2013, 09:12:57 AM »
Thanks

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2013, 09:13:49 AM »
I bought my first bike in 2004 brand new off the show room floor. A Honda VTX1300S was sitting right next to a 2004 C10. For reasons I still don't understand, I let the salesman talk me into the VTX. I had that only 6 months before giving it to my son and buying a 97 Valkyrie. The connie and the vtx were about the same price. I think if I would have bought the connie I would have kept it until buying my 2010 C14.

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2013, 11:53:47 AM »
What's this 'a' designation I see on eu bikes?
Not just the EU bikes.  My 2006 is a ZG1000A6F.  I know that at least on the later owners manuals (I had a 2003, too) the complete model designation is on the back of the manual.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline julianop

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2013, 12:52:53 PM »
Not just the EU bikes.  My 2006 is a ZG1000A6F.  I know that at least on the later owners manuals (I had a 2003, too) the complete model designation is on the back of the manual.

+1
Julian.
Elk River, MN.
Seasonal Temporal Navigational Disorder - that inexplicable but wholly satisfying affliction that causes one to lose the ability to drive a motorcycle straight home after work in the summer months, despite the apparent ability to make the reverse journey that same morning.

Offline Furbo

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2013, 12:48:33 AM »
Amen,

I came to Connies from Moto Guzzi. I like Guzzi, alot. Very charming in touring form, passionate in sporting form - but there were just one too many incidents like this:

As I travel for work, needed something reliable. As Italian service departments are often sketchy, needed something I could maintain myself. The C-10 fits perfectly. got it for $5K with less than 2K miles, great sport tourer. Perfect for Europe, just turned 50K on her this summer
05 C-10
Eccl: 9: 7-10

Offline julianop

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2013, 06:40:10 AM »
Beautiful, Furbo; where was the photo taken?
Julian.
Elk River, MN.
Seasonal Temporal Navigational Disorder - that inexplicable but wholly satisfying affliction that causes one to lose the ability to drive a motorcycle straight home after work in the summer months, despite the apparent ability to make the reverse journey that same morning.

Offline Gitbox

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2013, 08:05:09 AM »
Totally agree. Best bike I've owned so far.

I've test ridden some of the newer sport touring bikes which have way more power, run smoother and have better brakes and suspension, but the differences have not been enough to make me part with my 2000 C10... yet. It has better wind and weather protection, way better range, and I get better mileage too. Plus, insurance and maintenance is cheap (I do my own).
2008 Yamaha FJR1300A
2004 Yamaha FJR1300 (sold)
2000 Kawasaki Concours ZG-1000 (sold)

Offline Secarob

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2013, 05:44:16 PM »
Agreed!  Love my Connie

Offline Furbo

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2013, 08:33:53 AM »
Beautiful, Furbo; where was the photo taken?

The one with the Guzzi all in pieces was just outside of Grafenwhoer, Germany. problem turned out to be a bad coil. Got one out of a junk yard from an old VW beetle and zip tied it to the frame. worked great. 

The one with the C-10 is about half way up the Lukamanier Pass that runs between Switzerland and Italy.
05 C-10
Eccl: 9: 7-10

Offline julianop

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2013, 10:34:13 AM »
Excellent - I thought I recognized the feel of the second photo: I spent most of 1978 living and working in a little village called Solbiate Comasco, on the road between Como and Varese, just south of the border with Italy, which conveniently dips south slightly at that point. My fiancee (at the time) and I used to pop across to Lugano occasionally.
Beautiful area of the world - especially on the Switzerland side - I wish I could live there again.
Julian.
Elk River, MN.

Offline bouts

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2014, 10:04:26 AM »
Been a few months since any postings to this thread, but I thought I'd add my two cents!  Have an '06, and I keep my eyes open and look, and analyze all the offerings, looked at the MG Norge, Honda ST 1100/1300, Honda Gold Wing F6B, BMW K12/1300 GT, Ducati ST2-4.... and after looking at all the + and - I always come back to the Concours!  The C10 has been a great bike to ride, have done some great rides on it, Dr Connie has been wonderful therapy when stress levels were approaching critical!!!  Now just waiting to bring her out this next season.  Some maintenance to be done first and an interprovince inspection is required too, so some $$  going into her (other than oil...).  First $$ since buying her 4 years ago!  If this keeps up, a C14 will probably be the next one too!!

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2014, 11:43:06 AM »
I have four bikes in my garage. One of them is a C14- a nice one with all the stuff to make it handle and go faster like Ohlins and full AreaP.
The bike I ride the most  and still my favorite is my 2000 C10 with 120k miles on it and counting.Go figure. :loco:
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline hmans3

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2014, 04:34:48 PM »
Mike, I know how you feel. I have a 87 with 108,000 miles on it. Its set up right and runs great. I bought a 08 Yamaha FJR1300 to replace the Kaw. The FJR is a great bike.  But , I am having mixed feelings about selling the Kaw?