Author Topic: Link braking click when brakes are applied....pain in the butt.anyone else?  (Read 5846 times)

Offline ninjawarrior1400

• "There is no second place winner in a gunfight."
Have a 2010 with linked brakes....unlike my 08 which I preferred.....when applying the brakes..there is a significant click and a grabbing of the discs by the shoes.....and the front end of course drops down a bit with the grabbing.'

This is a pain in the butt as it is uncomfortable and adds jerkiness to all my stops...have tried to alternate and figure out a way to reduce or eliminate it....

Anyone else have this same issue...if so, are we stuck with it forever?

Ninja
Ninjawarrior

Offline Rhino

• Arena
I assume you have it on the lighter setting. I feel a slight pulse in the front brake lever when applying the rear brake but other then that, no problems.

Offline Frank ZZR

I get the same thing on my 2010. I agree, it's a pain. Seems worse when both brakes are applied. Just using the fronts makes for a much smoother stop.
2010 C 14 ABS
2008 ZX 250
2007 Vulcan 900 Custom
2002 ZZR 1200

Offline CigarSki®

• Arena
  • Newb again?
I use both the front and rear brake in combination all of the time. The linked braking took some getting used to, but, after 12,000 miles I've become accustomed to it and generally don't notice it much any more.
Wayne Sikorski aka CigarSki
2010 ZG1400 - South Jersey
COG 9250

Offline Sea Level

I use both the front and rear brake in combination all of the time. The linked braking took some getting used to, but, after 12,000 miles I've become accustomed to it and generally don't notice it much any more.

Pretty much my way as well, and while I notice the pulsing, I just stopped caring about it. I would have loved an "Off" button for the linked system, but that doesn't seem to be in the cards.

I've also noticed that I am becoming Connie-ized and using the foot brake less and less all the time. The computer does a damn fine job of sharing the load with front-braking only, and over time, unconsciously, I have found myself braking to a stop with my right hand only. I still use both when cruising, but mostly out of habit I think. The system keeps the suspension pretty solid.

Offline Makz58

I have no issues with the linked braking..Getting used ti it took awhile but now I just use the back brake and let the computer calculate the front brake pressure. Also run in the heavier setting always after much testing etc. No click surging or whatever. My 2 cents.
When arguing with an idiot make sure he isn't.
C-14 2010

Offline jjsC6

I get the same thing on my 2010. I agree, it's a pain. Seems worse when both brakes are applied. Just using the fronts makes for a much smoother stop.

Agreed.  Kawasaki should be shot for doing such a ****-poor job of setting up their linked ABS brakes.  I've had five bikes now with linked brakes and it's the only one that is not transparent.
Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Offline ZG

• Arena
I'm glad I have an 09 ABS without linked brakes, I had linked brakes on my VFR and didn't care for it...

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
Lovin' the linked outfit on my 2010, even after all these miles. I'd go hard linked on a track day. Still not a kawi fan though  ;D

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
Has anyone verified the 2012's set-up? Just wonder if Mama Kaw did any adjustments/updates to the linked breakes.
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
Has anyone verified the 2012's set-up? Just wonder if Mama Kaw did any adjustments/updates to the linked breakes.

They don't tout "improved braking" or such as one of the features. But I'm not having a prob with my '10, I doubt the Kawi designs are with their '10 either?
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline ninjawarrior1400

How is everyone adjusting their "settings" on their brakes?  I hear a light and a hard setting....what does this mean, and how do you make the adjustment on the bike and which is the best adjustment for safe stopping?

Ninja
Ninjawarrior

Offline Mister Tee

I'm assuming the default setting is light, that's what I use.  My BMW 1200RT also had linked brakes.  I HATED those because they applied way too much rear brake and chewed up rear pads like scooby snacks.

On my 2010 C14, there is interference with the foot brake and ABS so I don't apply the rear.  I've had the ABS kick in before on the "light" setting so it's obviously applying more than a sufficient amount of rear brake.  I believe the heavier setting is for riding two up and/or having heavy loads in the back.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
I like the "heavy" setting for tooling around town/non-aggressive riding. 

Barely put pressure on the rear brake when stopping and the front responds sharply.  I haven't used the front brake when tooling around town in forever, when pulling up to stop lights and such my brake/throttle hand is on my side taking a break and the rear lever/linked is doing the work :)

Offline Rhino

• Arena
How is everyone adjusting their "settings" on their brakes?  I hear a light and a hard setting....what does this mean, and how do you make the adjustment on the bike and which is the best adjustment for safe stopping?

Ninja

The orange button on the top left grip labeled "K-ACT" toggles the light and heavy setting. The 2 interlocked rings on the lower right of the display indicate the mode. just 2 rings means light. 2 rings with outer rings means heavy (see the display from stevewfl's post).

Offline Rhino

• Arena
Still not a kawi fan though  ;D

But where else are you going to get the mad power of KIPASS?

Son of Pappy

Giving up control of braking still doesnt make sense to me.  What happens when/if it fails?  I can safely say that if the C14 of the future doesnt offer a non linked, non ABS version I will be shopping for another option.  I love the modern upgrades on my '08, technology is good, I just dont want a machine that removes a skill that is as critical as braking.  Create an option to disable and the 14 would be my next bike.
Without muscle memory and routine use the skills required to safely stop a motorcycle will be gone in the event a system fails.  This is why I wont own another bike with ABS.  If someone likes ABS, I have no issues, just dont be a hater because I dont like ABS.

Offline Shoe

I had linked brakes on my K1200rs and I didn't like it. Of course it was a servo powered system as well. All my dislikes about linked braking we amplified. There was a drop off in braking with the engine off which was always a surprise when walking the bike in the garage. I am glad its gone.

I've heard it said that Honda's have a better feel for linked brakes?
Eat corn. Drill for oil.

2008 Concours, 2010 Goldwing

Offline ninjawarrior1400

Any way to safely disable the linked braking option?
Ninjawarrior

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Any way to safely disable the linked braking option?

Ride below 12mph?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.