Author Topic: New Connie Owner  (Read 7185 times)

Offline danl

Re: New Connie Owner
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2011, 10:10:02 AM »
You have to get acquainted with your bike and learn to trust it.  It won't happen over night, but the bike is very capable.

Where's the "like" button!

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2011, 11:07:16 AM »
Where's the "like" button!

You can check this thread for some more pics from my trip.

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=3767.15
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline Bourne2Ride

« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2011, 09:34:10 PM »
You can check this thread for some more pics from my trip.

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=3767.15
My Gosh! That's an extreme angle. Nice skills leaning her over. Way to wear out the sides before the center on those tires.
Save the Connie and Save the world!
- Heroes

Offline danl

« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2011, 07:04:30 AM »
Of course the weather here is forecast to be crappy. Sunday thru Wednesday, temps in the 50's and rainy. The temps are not so bad, I have gear for that, but the rain isn't much fun for joy rides. So, I've only had time to get 120 miles on the Connie so far. Saturday we took a 65 mile ride on some of the back roads around here and it just gets easier and easier to adjust to. Of all the bikes I've owned, I never felt like any were "the one", but that feeling is there now, the Connie is "the one".

I'm already thinking about mods (yes, I know, I was told to wait, but it's ok to think about it right?). A larger windshield is definitely needed. I had a National Cycle Switchblade 2 up and home made lowers on my Vulcan, and there was no wind noise and no helmet buffeting. On the Connie stock shield the wind noise is as loud as when I'd take the switchblade off of the 1600, no matter what position I put it in. I usually ride with ear plugs so thats not such a big deal, but having some protection from the wind and weather will be a factor on long rides. With the stock shield in the top position, if I duck my head down just a couple inches, all the noise goes away, so I'm thinking a shield 2-3" taller is all I'll need. In the low position it'll be good for the wind in the face feel, and all the way up will be good for those interstate mile eating legs of the trip. Just having the adjustment option is awesome.

Handlebar risers are the other item I'm going to do right away. I think the ones with the ram mount ball built in so I can mount my gps. 

After those 2 items I think I'll be good for a while. We'll see how the seat holds up after some day long rides. At some point I'd like to get a trunk, but for now, I have a soft tail bag that has served me well on my other bikes. 

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2011, 07:38:58 AM »
Of course the weather here is forecast to be crappy. Sunday thru Wednesday, temps in the 50's and rainy. The temps are not so bad, I have gear for that, but the rain isn't much fun for joy rides. So, I've only had time to get 120 miles on the Connie so far. Saturday we took a 65 mile ride on some of the back roads around here and it just gets easier and easier to adjust to. Of all the bikes I've owned, I never felt like any were "the one", but that feeling is there now, the Connie is "the one".

I'm already thinking about mods (yes, I know, I was told to wait, but it's ok to think about it right?). A larger windshield is definitely needed. I had a National Cycle Switchblade 2 up and home made lowers on my Vulcan, and there was no wind noise and no helmet buffeting. On the Connie stock shield the wind noise is as loud as when I'd take the switchblade off of the 1600, no matter what position I put it in. I usually ride with ear plugs so thats not such a big deal, but having some protection from the wind and weather will be a factor on long rides. With the stock shield in the top position, if I duck my head down just a couple inches, all the noise goes away, so I'm thinking a shield 2-3" taller is all I'll need. In the low position it'll be good for the wind in the face feel, and all the way up will be good for those interstate mile eating legs of the trip. Just having the adjustment option is awesome.

Handlebar risers are the other item I'm going to do right away. I think the ones with the ram mount ball built in so I can mount my gps. 

After those 2 items I think I'll be good for a while. We'll see how the seat holds up after some day long rides. At some point I'd like to get a trunk, but for now, I have a soft tail bag that has served me well on my other bikes.
Sweet! I feel the same way. It is The One for me.

I put a Laminar Lip at the top of my shield and it went silent. That stocker sure is a loud one. It's quieter to stand on the pegs and get out of the dirty air!

It looks a little goofy, but it works great for me.

The grass isn't always greener.

Offline redbarber

• Arena
  • '09 ABS (wife on '08 Can-AM Spyder follows)
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2011, 08:44:20 AM »
...With the stock shield in the top position, if I duck my head down just a couple inches, all the noise goes away, so I'm thinking a shield 2-3" taller is all I'll need. In the low position it'll be good for the wind in the face feel, and all the way up will be good for those interstate mile eating legs of the trip. Just having the adjustment option is awesome.

I went with a Givi WindFlip windshield when I changed mine.  It's supposed to be 3.3" taller than stock, but that's stock for a 2009.  Since your stock windshield is already taller, It's not likely to help you any.  (It was cheap tho).
I picked up a Vstream from a friend, and that's going to be my winter shield.  It's like the one on the right in Jimmymac's picture.  It's alot quieter for me, but at 5'9, I don't need a lot of height.  I'm guessing it's about 1.5 to 2.5 inches taller than your stock screen.   Keep in mind that if you are even considering a lowered seat, (there are a number of offerings), you would be effectively raising your windshield there too. 

As far as the risers, you probably can't go wrong there.  I have Murphs, which are only about 1 3/8" if I remember correctly.  Some days, I wish I had gone for 2" risers, but not enough to spend the extra coin now.  I also went with the RAM mount, and it's very handy for the GPS.
If you take yourself too seriously, nobody else will.  Humor is all around you, make it your quest to find all of it!

Offline danl

« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2011, 08:58:42 AM »
I saw that vstream, I think that's what I'm going to get. It's a little wider too. The parts mgr at my dealer has a Connie too, he got the 2" risers and likes them a lot. I think I'm going to get those.

Here's some pics, not that anyone hasn't seen this bike before :)

Offline freebird6

• In a big country...
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2011, 09:29:11 AM »
Another cruiser rider trades up to a high-performance super-sport-touring C14.  Like PeeWee Herman flying the Space Shuttle - LOL !!

Does anyone consider working their way up the sport bike spectrum?  I can't even imagine jumping off a low power, poor handling cruiser right to the ultimate sport-touring bike?

Go Darwin......

Fairly new COncours owner here also.

FUnny reading your comment.

I went to the dealer to get a part for my Mean Streak mid May and 4 days later rode an 08 COnnie with 6 K on the clock home. Never occurred to me to "work my way up". I still pick and choose bikes between the Meanie and the COnnie. When my lady wants to get out on her Harley Dyna I ride the Mean Streak. That is the only way I can tolerate riding with her on that air cooled, non responsive hunk of iron. The Meanie is not really a low powered , poor handling bike when compared to the things with HD markings my friends ride.

In that period since Mid May I put 8k on the COnnie and have had a great time in the transition from Cruiser to SPort bike. Since the Girl Friend lives 180 miles away I keep the Meanie at her house and ride the Connie back and forth to Southeast Ohio where Ohio 78, 278 and 56 through Hocking Hills polishes up my sport bike skills pretty quickly. Don't know about 2 up but since the bags are always packed with 50-70 lbs of gear I kind of get what you are saying. Increasing angles weekly 8). Nice thread.
2008 Concours
2007 Mean Streak
99 r1100rt

Offline redbarber

• Arena
  • '09 ABS (wife on '08 Can-AM Spyder follows)
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2011, 10:14:22 AM »
I saw that vstream, I think that's what I'm going to get. It's a little wider too. The parts mgr at my dealer has a Connie too, he got the 2" risers and likes them a lot. I think I'm going to get those. ...

After a year and a half with mine, I'll tell you one thing I've learned.  If I had it to do all over again, I would have saved the money from buying the risers, and from the wedges, and from having my handlbars cut and re-welded at a different angle, and from a variety of grips and grip puppies.  Instead I would have taken that money ($265) and put it toward the LSL handlebar conversion.  Even after everything I've done, I'm still looking for true comfort for my wrists and hands. 
If you take yourself too seriously, nobody else will.  Humor is all around you, make it your quest to find all of it!

Offline tthompsr

• 2009 Black Concours
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2011, 10:44:57 AM »
I saw that vstream, I think that's what I'm going to get. It's a little wider too. The parts mgr at my dealer has a Connie too, he got the 2" risers and likes them a lot. I think I'm going to get those.

Here's some pics, not that anyone hasn't seen this bike before :)

Congrats Danl on the new Bike! I see from your T tag that your another Delaware Connie owner,and from your comment about the Service Manager owning one I take it that you bought from Diamond! Good shop!They've always taken good care of me. :thumbs:

Offline danl

« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2011, 11:16:46 AM »
Yes, I got it at Diamond. It's the 5th bike we bought from them, they always take care of us.

What part of the state are you from? We should ride!

Offline tthompsr

• 2009 Black Concours
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2011, 11:30:52 AM »
I'm just North of Dover and I'm always looking for a excuse to ride!