Author Topic: Really really elementary question about checking oil  (Read 6029 times)

Offline Conrad

Re: Really really elementary question about checking oil
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2011, 09:14:11 AM »
Wait a minute, are you saying that you put your feet down sometimes? No need for that and having to do so usually means you fob is leaning to one side or the other. Straighten your fob and the bike will not be able to fall over.

Brian

No good can come from a crooked fob.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2011, 09:19:57 AM »
You can get a level app on your smart phone. Just level the phone, then put the fob on top of the phone. That should level your bike quite nicely.

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2011, 10:10:10 AM »
But I wouldn't mention any of that because this thread still has a pretty reasonable tone and if Mary Jane Tinklepants doesn't come along, it might just die out.

try mentioning the K-word... you know what they say about sharks and blood  8)
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2011, 10:32:24 AM »
It's really very, very easy to check the oil.  Just sit on the right side of the bike, grab the handlebar and rear peg bracket, and rock it toward you.  Requires no strength at all.  FAR less effort than putting it on the center stand, and the center stand has to be on perfectly flat ground if you want an accurate reading (not the case in my garage.)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2011, 10:55:46 AM »
True but there is that other thread about the failure in Sturgis that would draw them first. That should give everyone in this thread time to get away safely.... :-)

Brian

try mentioning the K-word... you know what they say about sharks and blood  8)
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2011, 08:35:15 PM »
OK, fresh from the 'how wide a tire' thread. That makes me think- does anybody know how wide a funnel a C-14 will take in the oil fill hole?

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2011, 09:44:28 PM »
80,000 comedians out of work.  Inevitable that some would migrate to the Connie forum.

As noted, on or off the centerstand doesn't make much difference on the reading.  To confirm this for yourself, just check it both ways, and thereafter do it the way that is easiest for you.  I tend to fill towards the middle of the sight glass, but there is a range there for a reason.  The reasons is so that bored people can debate over how full to fill the crankcase, of course.

Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2011, 11:08:09 PM »
80,000 comedians out of work.  Inevitable that some would migrate to the Connie forum.

As noted, on or off the centerstand doesn't make much difference on the reading.  To confirm this for yourself, just check it both ways, and thereafter do it the way that is easiest for you.  I tend to fill towards the middle of the sight glass, but there is a range there for a reason.  The reasons is so that bored people can debate over how full to fill the crankcase, of course.

you just hit the nail on the head. Engineers and manufacturers spend countless resources in developing an engine that can cope with a range of oil amount, so that people can enjoy not only the ride, but the talk about it afterwards (or before, or instead). You have to love them...  :hail:
On second thoughts, I wonder how much cheaper the C14 would be if Kawasaki could spare that 200+ people working on the oil amount range, instead of just letting the bike work with the precise quantity and not having to design everything with tolerances. Ahhhhrrggg...
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2011, 11:44:35 PM »
it'll be 'aight  ;D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine