Author Topic: Riding In Groups  (Read 4961 times)

Offline Jaxter

• Blue might not be fastest, but it's my favorite
Riding In Groups
« on: April 10, 2012, 09:04:31 PM »
OK, I have had my Concours for just a little over 2 years now and when I purchased it, I had not been on a motorcycle for almost 35 years and I was very cautious about re-learning to handle a big motorcycle...now I feel a lot more comfortable on the bike and have been considering riding with a few other folks...my question to the brain trust out there...is there a good way to find riding friends, and do you recomend groups or do you mostly prefer riding solo?
I've Never Had A Better Day

Offline ZG

• Arena
Re: Riding In Groups
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 09:10:15 PM »
IMO riding in groups all depends on the group...  :-\

With buddies that all have the same riding style and interests I've had some really great times!  :)

But with folks that are either too slow or just knuckleheads being stupid on the road I've wished I never rode with em...  :(

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 09:25:28 PM »
...is there a good way to find riding friends, and do you recomend groups or do you mostly prefer riding solo?

Mostly ride solo, if not it's with one/two people I know.

If I do ride a group ride, I stay well to the back. Not like I want to  ::) rather it allows me to watch those in front of me. Some 'don't ride' the way I like to (weave, lean all screwey in corners, can't hold speed, etc.). Once I know...
Nothing wrong in riding drag BTW, it's a skill of it's own, and can be quite relaxing.

I'll ride with anybody though, but I may not scuff sidewalls when I do.

In time, you'll find someone that has to pee the same time you do, needs gas the same time, wants to stop for the same photo-op ...

Rick
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 09:32:04 PM »
My normal crew is just two of us, but we often join up with two to four others and do a Hill Country run (doing it this weekend). I've ridden for years, but a 20 year break in the middle makes me the least experienced as I've only been riding again for just short of 3 years. As such, I almost always choose to be the last guy in the pack as they're riding much lighter bikes than I am. If they get too frisky and I fall a little behind in the twisty stuff, they pause at the next intersection/stop and wait on me, but that's almost always less than 15-20 seconds.

Luckily, I was in back when one guy lost it on a new Multistrada when he hit some road repair gravel on a southern Missouri county road. I was there to help him up, get his bike upright, and in good enough condition to ride it back to our base camp at Gaston's.

'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 10:58:49 PM »
What others have said. It all depends on the group. I like to ride with small groups of people I know well and we tend to adopt a similar style and pace. I ride every summer with 3 brothers and my son. We all know each others habits. I have ridden with a group of 30+ strangers but found it to less enjoyable. I also found a small group I ride with accidentally. I was solo one day having a nice breakfast when a group of 4 came to the same cafe. 2 were on FJR's. We got to comparing the FJR and C14 and exchanged emails. 2 years later they are good friends now and we ride 2 or 3 Saturday mornings a month. It's one of the things that drew me to motorcycles. Kind of an instant connection and camaraderie.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 11:28:09 PM »
Space is your friend.  Check into the Patriot Guard, 2 birds, one Stone, and all for a great cause.

Offline W14

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 05:11:13 AM »
Seventy-five percent of the time, I ride by myself, that way I don't have to worry about someone else's riding style,  etc.  The other times I ride with my brother or another friend - we know each other styles, need for bathroom breaks, etc. I once rode with a group of about 20. We rode for about 4 hours without a bathroom break, couldn't tell tell I needed a break, was a miserable experience. Plus, when we left our destination, they took off down the Interstate, weaving in and out of traffic running 90-100 mph. While I typically cruise Interstate at 80 mph (70 posted speed), 90-100 is wreckless, IMO.  I dropped to my comfort zone and let them go.   

Offline DenverC-14

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 06:50:18 AM »
It took me a long time (almost 2 years) to find a good solid group of friends to ride with. Started out with being introduced to a person that was into doing long day rides at a spirited pace, and just mix and matched people till I found a core group (~10) to ride with on a regular basis. I also believe that with age comes wisdom, so most of the people I ride with are "mature" aged riders. I'm usually the kid in the group (27).

Offline jim_de_hunter

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2012, 08:18:23 AM »
Riding with just one other rider stress me out and riding in group even more so.  I try turn down invitations to ride with others.

2006 ZG1000 "The Blue Monster"

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2012, 08:45:49 AM »
I enjoy riding with a small group of spirited riders.  I have ridden in some large groups and unless I am in the back keeping an eye on everything I feel nervous.  Maybe it is the fact that I have PTSD, or possibly I have control and anxiety issues. 

One or two other like minded riders usually makes for a very enjoyable day in the twisties.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2012, 09:53:52 AM »
IMO riding in groups all depends on the group...  :-\

With buddies that all have the same riding style and interests I've had some really great times!  :)

But with folks that are either too slow or just knuckleheads being stupid on the road I've wished I never rode with em...  :(

Bingo!
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2012, 11:35:35 AM »
Seems like I read somewhere that groups of 4-5 are the safest. Larger groups become more dangerous and less enjoyable. To me, 4 is about the perfect size, plus you can all sit at the same table at lunch.  ;)
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2012, 12:38:09 PM »
Seems like I read somewhere that groups of 4-5 are the safest. Larger groups become more dangerous and less enjoyable. To me, 4 is about the perfect size, plus you can all sit at the same table at lunch.  ;)

+1  :thumbs: 4 bikes make you more noticeable to cagers but not so large as to be worrying about all the others in the group.

Offline OregonLAN

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2012, 04:51:31 PM »
I prefer ridding with smaller groups of experienced riders. I sometimes plan trips with larger groups, but I usually end up breaking away from the group and meeting up at the designated areas.

Larger groups commonly split up in to several subcategories:
1. Inexperienced riders group
2. Seasoned riders group
3. Sports bike riders group

Usually there's an organizer for each group.

It's also common for the Sports bike rider group to choose an alternate route with more twists and turns...

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2012, 06:57:36 AM »
Mostly ride solo, if not it's with one/two people I know.

If I do ride a group ride, I stay well to the back. Not like I want to  ::) rather it allows me to watch those in front of me. Some 'don't ride' the way I like to (weave, lean all screwey in corners, can't hold speed, etc.). Once I know...
Nothing wrong in riding drag BTW, it's a skill of it's own, and can be quite relaxing.

I'll ride with anybody though, but I may not scuff sidewalls when I do.

In time, you'll find someone that has to pee the same time you do, needs gas the same time, wants to stop for the same photo-op ...

Rick

Riding drag, eh, how does that work out for you?  Doesn't the dress get in the way or the high heels?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline connie1

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2012, 12:55:52 PM »
I certainly prefer smaller groups.  I always find myself watching out for the less experienced and not doing a great job of riding my own bike.  My brother and I have similar riding styles and habits so we do real well together but when we each add one of our kids to the group it always ends up far more stressful (but enjoy riding with my daughter none the less).
My bother and I did 800 kms one day and it was probably my favorite ride... rode hard when we had to ...stopped for fuel, meals and breaks without wasting alot of time and still made it home to sleep in my own bed.  I know that would have been impossible with more than 2 or 3 bikes.
Man do I love this bike! Red '09

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2012, 09:00:34 PM »
Riding drag, eh, how does that work out for you?  Doesn't the dress get in the way or the high heels?

:rotflmao: