Author Topic: help with small oil leak  (Read 2290 times)

Offline bikerterp

help with small oil leak
« on: June 15, 2011, 12:44:30 AM »
Hi all,

New owner of a 2000 with 52,000 miles.

This morning while warming her up just prior to heading off to work, I noticed some smoke coming from the left side down by the shifter.  The smoke would puff and appear heavier at times and go away altogether at times.  Later in the day noticed a little, not as much.  Then on the way home from work, none at all.

After parking her in the garage and putting up on the center stand, noticed some small drops of oil under the bike.  Can't quite tell where they are coming from but it looks like it's behind the shifter someplace.  Maybe the water pump?  Not sure.

Can anybody with some knowledge give me some ideas?  Where to look?  Is this possibly an easy fix for a non-wrench type person or do I need to seek some professional help?  I know I probably need some professional help of another sort but that's for another thread.  Thanks in advance.

Offline Gitbox

Re: help with small oil leak
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 12:39:03 PM »
I had a similar problem. The oil seal on the water pump went bad and oil was leaking out of the weep hole and getting on to the exhaust crossover pipe. What a mess. Replacing that oil seal cleaned it right up. Maybe worth checking.
2008 Yamaha FJR1300A
2004 Yamaha FJR1300 (sold)
2000 Kawasaki Concours ZG-1000 (sold)

Offline bikerterp

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 03:18:43 PM »
Thanks for the insight... i appreciate it.  Is it hard to get to?

Offline dvitous

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 06:41:40 PM »
If I could do it, it can't be that hard to get to  :o

Shifter needs to come off, clutch slave... of course emptying the radiator.  Was fairly straigh-forward.

That wasn't my problem though.

My problem is where the neutral indicator comes through the case.  I bought a new one, but haven't put it in yet.  There's an oil line (visible in the pic) that cuts in front of it that needs to come off in order to get at it.

It's a fairly faint drip... some burn-off in the morning, but its not a consistant, pressure leak.  If I ride to work, there's no smoke when I start up going home (or I don't notice it w/ no garage)...but usually some when I start up in the morning.

I tried to include the pic in the post.. but I guess it doesn't like Picasa?

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/I-nSygRcDbgExdIhgnUUew09a6CW4-wkFaT-XiwmG0E?feat=directlink
Dan Vitous
Naperville, IL

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 09:53:47 AM »
There is more than one thing that could be leaking. One way to figure out which is/are leaking is to clean all of the grunge away, then spray some baby powder or similar in the area, look for the wet spot.

Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)