Author Topic: Final Drive Oil Leak  (Read 2827 times)

Offline iMotoPilot

Final Drive Oil Leak
« on: May 25, 2011, 08:11:50 AM »
I just got back from an awesome ride from San Antonio TX to the Ozarks.  The connie did great!  As I'm doing a post ride inspection of the bike, I found a leak coming from a weep hole from the bottom of the "Final Drive".  Could you guys tell me what I need to look for and an idea what to replace.   I did install new tires and replace the final drive oil prior to trip. 
Lucky has got me this far and tricky will get me in.   apc

Offline snarf

• Arena
Re: Final Drive Oil Leak
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 08:56:00 AM »
Not that big of a deal...
http://zggtr.org/index.php?topic=908.0

http://www.ronayers.com/Fiche/TypeID/26/Type/Motorcycle/MakeID/3/Make/Kawasaki/YearID/43/Year/2002/ModelID/4268/Model/Concours/GroupID/135137/Group/Drive_Shaft_Final_Gear%281_2%29

As mentioned in another topic it is very easy to pinch, nick, or tear the o'ring on the input shaft.  part#92055C.  Being that you just tire change before the trip this may be your culprit.
92409A is a seal that can also develop a leak.  Take a corner of a matchbook or envelope and clean the seal out.  This can stop the leak (sometimes)
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 09:22:57 AM »
.... I did install new tires and replace the final drive oil prior to trip.

You might have just put in too much oil.... Bike on center stand place board under front wheel so that rear wheel touches the ground; remove fill cap and allow any extra to drain out. You want the oil level just barely below or exactly even with the bottom edge of the threads. Do not rotate tire while filling with oil as this will cause oil to climb the gears and thus you will overfill the drive.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline iMotoPilot

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 09:37:28 AM »
Thanks fellas!  I will check the oil level first (praying thats what it was) and move on to the seal inspection if otherwise.   

Offline iMotoPilot

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 12:07:42 PM »
T-Cro, you were correct on the overfilled gear oil.   Oil is now level.   What do you recommend now.  Go ahead and ride it and see if it still leaks or should I go ahead and replace the seals?

Thanks again.

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 01:31:01 PM »
T-Cro, you were correct on the overfilled gear oil.   Oil is now level.   What do you recommend now.  Go ahead and ride it and see if it still leaks or should I go ahead and replace the seals?

Thanks again.
Drain, wipe, ride. Repeat as needed.
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline iMotoPilot

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 02:33:57 PM »
Will do Snarf.  Thanks again guys!

Jorge

Offline iMotoPilot

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2011, 02:04:32 PM »
Rode her today and soo far no more leaking.  Freaking 80 degrees in San Antonio today at 8am!

Offline iMotoPilot

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2011, 03:58:19 PM »
Leaking again.  Not much but enough to play havoc on my nerves.   I will try the take a corner of a matchbook or envelope and clean the seal out.  Ordering the seals that normally break in the "pig".     Grrr