Author Topic: Cal-sci "wide" large windshield for 2011 C-14  (Read 10986 times)

Offline kawacop1642

Cal-sci "wide" large windshield for 2011 C-14
« on: March 15, 2012, 10:09:46 AM »
Looking for a little feed back. I want to change my stock shield on my 2011, for the cal-sci "wide" shield. I like the extra coverage. Has anybody tried the wide one, or any cal sci shield for that matter, and what are your thoughts/opinions? Is the wide shield too much coverage? I ride mostly here in the Texas hill country, so it gets really hot during the summer, but I want a good shield for my long trips across the country.

Thanks

Mark............ 8)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 01:29:21 PM by kawacop1642 »

Offline Conrad

Re: Cal-sci "wide" large windshield
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 11:03:23 AM »
Snip...
Has anybody tried the wide one, or any cal sci shield for that matter, and what are your thoughts/opinions?
Thanks

Mark............ 8)

I have the CalSci tinted shorty. I guess I can't be of much help but you did say any shield. I like it, it covers a bit more than the stocker and has a great tint. I run it all the time except when it's hot out, then I run a cut down stocker.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 11:17:08 AM »
I have the CalSci tinted shorty. I guess I can't be of much help but you did say any shield. I like it, it covers a bit more than the stocker and has a great tint. I run it all the time except when it's hot out, then I run a cut down stocker.

Just an observation. When posters compare a shield to the "stock" shield, it would sure be helpful if we knew if that stock shield were a '08/'09 or a '10/'11/'12. Just sayin'.
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline Gearhead82

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 11:19:40 AM »
I have their regular "Large" shield (not the new wide one) and I like it a lot.  Their keyhole cutout eliminates the back pressure that I got from the stock '09 shield when it was raised.  It provides smooth air and a lot more wind protection over the stock shield.  The width is fine for me.  However if you raise the shield up it will no longer protect your hands but I think that's common to all shields and I don't think the extra width would cure that problem.  I might do an occasional 200 mile day to the twisties and back but don't do any long distance stuff.  For most of my riding I like the air to hit me so I stick to the stock shield.  Basically I just bought the Cal-Sci for late fall/early spring riding in cooler weather here in Ohio.

edit:  Here's a pic of the Cal Sci Large on my '09

'09 C14, Area P Full System, BMC, Flies out, PCV

Offline Conrad

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 11:24:59 AM »
Just an observation. When posters compare a shield to the "stock" shield, it would sure be helpful if we knew if that stock shield were a '08/'09 or a '10/'11/'12. Just sayin'.

A Silverdammit is a '08. I thought that was common knowlage. A noob wouldn't know that so you're right.

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 11:28:22 AM »
A Silverdammit is a '08. I thought that was common knowlage. A noob wouldn't know that so you're right.

Maybe we need a "Terminology for Noobies" sticky thread.  ;)
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline katata1100

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 11:28:48 AM »
I replaced the stock shield on my '11 with the calsci tall. I am not sure how important  the keyhole cutout is on '10 and up bikes as they have extra venting at the base of the fairing.
I did get it with the goal of reducing noise so that I could hear music from my blutooth helmet.
i was not disappointed, it is much quieter.

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2012, 12:07:53 PM »
Gearhead, tell us more about the black on the top of your bags!
That looks rather snazzy.
Perfect line right at the seat line.

edit:  Here's a pic of the Cal Sci Large on my '09

Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline Conrad

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2012, 12:11:53 PM »

That actually looks good. Hmmm

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2012, 12:30:01 PM »
Maybe we need a "Terminology for Noobies" sticky thread.  ;)

Sounds like a good idea.  You want to volunteer for that?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Gearhead82

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2012, 01:08:08 PM »

I actually "customized" them to cover up a scratch I put in one of the bags.  Everything is detailed in this thread:  http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=4598.0
'09 C14, Area P Full System, BMC, Flies out, PCV

Offline kawacop1642

Re: Cal-sci "wide" large windshield for 2011 C-14
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2012, 01:43:28 PM »
Gearhead,
  Those bags look sharp!
  Even though my 2011 has the vents built into the faring, I still get the back pressure when the shield is 3/4 to full up position. I'm hoping the cal-sci will fix that. 

Offline c14p builder

• Kawasaki Police
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2012, 05:39:18 PM »
Gearhead,
  Those bags look sharp!
  Even though my 2011 has the vents built into the faring, I still get the back pressure when the shield is 3/4 to full up position. I'm hoping the cal-sci will fix that.

Those "vents" are really just openings in the panel.  I am not sure what the function is, but they are not fed by anything.  The only air that could get to them would have to sneak around the headlight.  Thoughts?

Offline marklawrence

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2012, 12:06:21 AM »
This is a review from one of my prototype testers. Ken lives in Colorado, where it's currently kinda cold a lot of the time.

California Scientific "Wide" windshield ride report By Ken M*****y, March 6, 2012

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Well, it is March 6 and the temperature has topped 60 and heading for 70. And even, more importantly, no wind. Finally time to ride
a bit with the new California Scientific Wide windshield on my 2011 Kawasaki Concours. Installation takes only a few minutes and it
fits perfectly. The wider wings curve nicely over the mirror housings and extend below the airstream. I tested the clearance in the
lowest and highest position of the shield with the brake and clutch levers in the maximum grip position and found no interference
with the shield.

I am 6’2" and 195 and generally like some airflow even in cold conditions. On the road, with the shield in the lowest position, the
airflow over the top of the shield strikes my face shield near the upper half. For me this is perfect at slower speeds and in warm
weather. The airstream hitting my face shield is quite smooth with little turbulence. In this position, there is no spillage
between the shield and the mirror housings. The outer edge of my shoulders and forearms feel a little airflow while my hands on the
grips are completely shielded. I note that from the cockpit, the outer edges of the windshield line up closely with the outer edges
of the lower fairing. The appearance is a continuous outside line from windshield down the fairing. At the highest position of the
shield, the airflow over the top is completely above my helmet, very quiet. The top of the windshield is still several inches below
my line of sight.

The airflow on the outer edge of my shoulders and forearms is about the same as before. There is spillage between the lower edge of
the outer wings and the mirror housings. With the bars in the stock position (without risers), this airflow strikes the hands near
the top. With risers of 1 inch, this airflow strikes the hands near the bottom and with risers of 2 inches; it mostly goes under
the hands. Lowering the shield about an inch or more pushes this airflow below the hands.

I tried the Wide windshield at a variety of speeds including several miles on the Interstate above 75 MPH. My preferred position
for the shield at speed was 1 to 2 inches below the top position. This produces the top airflow brushing the top of my helmet, the
slight airflow on the other edges of my shoulders and forearms, and my hands completely out of the airstream. I could ride this way
for hours in most weather, properly suited.

In summary, the California Scientific "Wide" Windshield is a winner for me, giving good coverage for a wide variety of conditions
while not taking the wind completely out of my ride. As usual, the quality of the shield is top notch with a clean straight
profile.

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2012, 04:15:59 AM »
I just picked up a few weeks ago a CS Large from a former member and I agree with Gearhead82's comment: "It provides smooth air and a lot more wind protection over the stock shield.  The width is fine for me.  However if you raise the shield up it will no longer protect your hands but I think that's common to all shields and I don't think the extra width would cure that problem." I didn't like the fact that my Project-D Handwings wouldn't work with this shield (no I'm not selling them), as I missed the wind protection that they provided. "IF" this new wide version "would" provide wind protection at all height settings, I'd be all over it. But as I've read, it doesn’t. I do have a concept that I feel will rectify the situation, but I need to fab up some parts and test it out.
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.