Concours 1400 (C14) FAQ > Electrical

I need another Key FOB?

(1/16) > >>

spotcw:
My 2008 came with only 1 key FOB and I want to add another before I loose the one I have and have to spend lots of money to replace the ECU. I have heard that a Key FOB from a 2010 or newer, the credit card type, will work for the 2008 and is much less expensive than buying a replacement 08' one. Can anybody confirm this for me? Thanks!

maxtog:
I can't confirm it, but I did read that the 2008/2009 ECU can be programmed to work with the credit card one.  Keep in mind that the much cheaper credit card version on the 2010/2011 is a *passive* fob, not active.  So it has no proximity function.  To use it, you have to hold it to the ignition, touching it and holding it there for a while.  It is NOT something you want want to try and use "typically" or "normally".

The stock *active* fob will also act as a passive fob if the battery in it dies.... so I don't think the older C14 will know/care.

CrashKLRtoConnie:
I had a thread on the the pre crash site. A few members stated the credit card fob would replace the larger fob on the 2008+ models.

Cost is about $150 less  :)

Brent

lt1:
The credit card fob works fine with any year C14.  It doesn't come with a key, so you will need to get one for a spare.  Be aware that there is an A key and a B key.  Make sure you order the right one.  Then you will still need to have the key cut.  I am not aware of an aftermarket key that fits either fob, but maybe they are out there.

It isn't that big of a deal to use the cc fob, but it does take more effort that a regular key, much less KiPass.

JetJock:
The CC version runs from $30 to $40 depending on where you shop, plus whatever the dealer charges for programming -- which should be a 15 minute job, tops.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version