Author Topic: Engine warmup RPM  (Read 4946 times)

Offline F-106

Engine warmup RPM
« on: June 02, 2011, 10:23:53 PM »
What is the recommended engine start RPM for warm-up? First start of the day I have been running my 06 at 2500 RPM. This keeps the cam chain noise down and the bike warms up fine. I let it run for 2 min before turning off the choke and get going. I do not let the motor rev beyond 3500 till the temp guage gets into the normal range. I read a post a day or two ago about this motor does not build strong oil pressure till 3000 RPM. Is my warm-ups improper? Any thoughts?    THANKS
IN THRUST WE TRUST

Offline timsatx

• Arena
Re: Engine warmup RPM
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 10:44:21 PM »
I keep mine from going above 2000 rpm for warmup (it tends to want to go faster as it warms up so I have to watch it for the first minute). Once it is at a point that it will run with just a bit of choke I will take off. I don't race it but I will run it under 4000 rpm till I get on the highway.

YoDoc

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 11:03:08 PM »
I'm pretty sure that all the OMan says about my 03 and "warming up" is not to let it get over 3k, and let it idle until it doesn't need the choke anymore. "Several minutes" I believe are the words they used.

Offline tvpierce

• '99 Concours
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 03:42:04 AM »
I read a post a day or two ago about this motor does not build strong oil pressure till 3000 RPM.

The 3K threshold is for when the engine is at operating temperature.  Oil pressure will be much higher when the engine & oil are cold.  I'll use my car as an example because it has a calibrated oil pressure gauge:  when at full operating temperature, at 1K RPM, my car's oil pressure is 1.5 bar.  When cold, at 1K RPM, my car's oil pressure maxes out the gauge at 3+ bar.  My guess would be that at 2500 RPM cold, our Connies are at maximum pressure.
I don't want a pickle... I just wanna ride my motorsickle.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 04:50:32 AM »
I keep mine from going above 2000 rpm for warmup (it tends to want to go faster as it warms up so I have to watch it for the first minute). Once it is at a point that it will run with just a bit of choke I will take off. I don't race it but I will run it under 4000 rpm till I get on the highway.

BINGO..... When oil is cold the pressure will be higher (moving slower yes) but still higher and that provides the oil wedge that keeps metal from touching metal in the plain bearing areas. No high RPM engine warm up required and in fact is likely detrimental to long term engine life.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline Bluegray

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 07:11:54 AM »
Does synthetic oil or weight of the oil change these factors?

Offline nosaint7

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 07:45:39 AM »
Basic of dual viscosity (such as 10/40) is the low # is for "cold" visc and the high # for warm/hot.  So, as long as you are not running gear lube - you should get good flow cold. 
current: 2003 C10
past: Yamaha Vstar, Yamaha XS750, Suzuki T500, BSA 650 Lightning (yup - I'm OLD!)

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2011, 07:54:42 AM »

How so? Lets be more specific please. Synthetic oils have better pour points in cold weather so a 15 synthetic will pour just as well or better as a 10 in dino oil so they can be said to flow better when cold given the same weight; also has better cling so it actually stays in place longer when no oil pressure is present thus giving surface protection to moving or non-moving static parts even when shut down.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2011, 10:54:11 AM »
Gee...I bet most folks just hop in their $50k cars and kick the tires, light the fires and go, no warmup at all.....
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

YoDoc

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2011, 11:46:37 AM »
Gee...I bet most folks just hop in their $50k cars and kick the tires, light the fires and go, no warmup at all.....

Most $50k cars can do this with little to no adverse effect on the engine. Even if the  :hitfan:, they aren't going to fall down on the road at speed. We are careful because we must be. 

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2011, 12:52:00 PM »
Most $50k cars can do this with little to no adverse effect on the engine. Even if the  :hitfan:, they aren't going to fall down on the road at speed. We are careful because we must be.

Riiiiiiiiight. ;)
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline medicevans

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2011, 05:30:25 PM »
1st:  I will bet that 90+% of people that drive a vehicle (any FI vehicle, price irregardless) just jump in them and go.  I usually sit for a second and let the oil pressure gauge come up to operating pressure and then go.  My wife just jumps in and turns the key.  $50 says most people are like her.  Most cars made today have one of two things, an oil light or a gauge.  Most of the gauges are either on or off type gauges, i.e. a light that looks like a gauge.  My blazer has a real oil pressure gauge, but I wonder how many people don't even realize that their oil gauge is no better than an idiot light.  Of course, I drive so many diesels that half the time when I'm in my truck I turn the key forward for 10 seconds to let the glow plugs warm up before starting.  In my gasoline powered truck.  Yeah, I know, right?  So, what do I know. 

2nd:  Start here, read to the end, and then come back and discuss.  It's an awesome read if you're into this kind of stuff.  I enjoyed it. 
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/motor-oil-101/

Edit to include reference to OP:
3rd:  I usually turn the choke on enough to keep it running, then once it will stay running without the choke I turn the enricher lever off and go back inside to kiss my wife goodbye and check the kids one more time then get on my way.  With SiSF's kits, it's pretty easy to tell right away if you haven't let it warm up long enough. 

Offline F-106

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2011, 08:06:33 PM »
Thanks guys for all your replies. From reding your posts I will continue on as I have been.
IN THRUST WE TRUST