Author Topic: A thread about nothing at all....  (Read 727034 times)

Son of Pappy

Re: A thread about nothing at all....
« Reply #1780 on: September 19, 2014, 12:04:02 AM »
I hope not, but that's my personal opinion.
Well, the Highlanders aint too happy..

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #1781 on: September 19, 2014, 04:01:54 AM »
55 to 45 to stay with the United Kingdom...and hopefully there will be changes in the way that Scotland is governed to raise less ire.  I heard something saying it would be more federalist but I'm not sure what that means as compared to what is being done now.

In reading a bit more on the subject it sounds as though they're going to need something similar to what we have in the way of govt in that Scotland, Wales and England will have local govts with the ability to deal with their internal issues and have representatives in Parliment for UK issues.  This may be a bit harder to implement with their current style of Parlimentary governance.  I guess we'll see..
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #1782 on: September 19, 2014, 06:44:17 AM »
From far away, and knowing little about the UK's internal (Easy boys!) politics, I think that was the best thing to do. Depending on how independent they actually got, I think it would have been very difficult for Scotland to go solo as an autonomous country simply because it is too small to create a complete economy.

I was also surprised that Sean Connery was not out stumping for this- he has been a big proponent for Scottish independence for decades. Unless he was and it just did not make the news here but that would seem odd.

Brian

55 to 45 to stay with the United Kingdom...and hopefully there will be changes in the way that Scotland is governed to raise less ire.  I heard something saying it would be more federalist but I'm not sure what that means as compared to what is being done now.

In reading a bit more on the subject it sounds as though they're going to need something similar to what we have in the way of govt in that Scotland, Wales and England will have local govts with the ability to deal with their internal issues and have representatives in Parliment for UK issues.  This may be a bit harder to implement with their current style of Parlimentary governance.  I guess we'll see..
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #1783 on: September 19, 2014, 12:51:51 PM »
I find that I enjoy mid to late 60s and early 70's rock the louder it is.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #1784 on: September 23, 2014, 06:22:58 PM »
Moto Guzzi Stelvio, not your everyday ADV Bike!

voileauciel

« Reply #1785 on: September 23, 2014, 07:25:29 PM »
Moto Guzzi Stelvio, not your everyday ADV Bike!

Smoking has been part of the Italian culture since 1492.  8)

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #1786 on: September 24, 2014, 08:03:52 PM »
As a general rule of thumb, the bigger the mammal, the higher the internal temp., the slower the heartbeat and the longer it lives. That means that with nothing but a blindfold and a rectal thermometer, one could tell what one was standing behind all over Africa, for example.

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #1787 on: September 30, 2014, 04:50:09 PM »
"The cheek of every American must tingle with shame as he reads the silly, flat and dishwatery utterances of the man who has to be pointed out to intelligent foreigners as the President of the United States."
- Chicago Times  20 November 1863, as a commentary on what has become known as "The Gettysburg Address" by A. Lincoln

There are five supposedly original copies of that speech, one signed by Lincoln. For that and the speech's fame, the exact words spoken by Lincoln are not known today; all copies of the speech, along with all known reports given from those who were actually heard the speech in person, vary in wording and no two are identical. It is commonly accepted that the closest version is the Bliss version, which is the original signed by Lincoln although he actually did not write it until 1864, long after the reading of the address and so may not be what was actually spoken.

Brian

Offline Gsun

« Reply #1788 on: September 30, 2014, 06:33:49 PM »
A president actually wrote his own speech? It was not OK'd by all his staff? Never heard of such a thing....

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #1789 on: September 30, 2014, 06:45:13 PM »
Had to write it down. No power for the teleprompter.

voileauciel

« Reply #1790 on: September 30, 2014, 08:09:52 PM »
Had to write it down. No power for the teleprompter.

Some people actually memorised whole speeches back in those days.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #1791 on: September 30, 2014, 08:35:41 PM »
Heck, they may even have spoken from the heart.  Go figure, eh?

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #1792 on: September 30, 2014, 08:43:13 PM »
Lincoln did not, nor did Edward Everett, the main speaker at the dedication of Gettysburg. Both read from the written page. In fact Lincoln did not finish writing that speech until late the evening before the day he actually delivered it.

Lincoln did write his own speeches generally though. Lucky for us too as he is arguably one on, if not perhaps the very best, writers in the English language.... no disrespect to either The Bard or Mr. Churchill. There is some question as to whether or not he actually wrote the famous condolence letter to Mrs. Bixby but there is no evidence either way and the opinions against his being the author are pretty thin IMO. But then I am biased probably and an unabashed fan of the man.

Just as a short example of the man's ability to assemble the same words we all may use and have access to:

"My friends, no one, not in my situation, can appreciate my feeling of sadness at this parting. To this place, and the kindness of these people, I owe everything. Here I have lived a quarter of a century, and have passed from a young to an old man. Here my children have been born, and one is buried. I now leave, not knowing when, or whether ever, I may return, with a task before me greater than that which rested upon Washington. Without the assistance of the Divine Being who ever attended him, I cannot succeed. With that assistance I cannot fail. Trusting in Him who can go with me, and remain with you, and be everywhere for good, let us confidently hope that all will yet be well. To His care commending you, as I hope in your prayers you will commend me, I bid you an affectionate farewell."
-A. Lincoln      Springfield, Illinois (his home town) 11 Feb 1861   before he boarded the train that would take him to Washington, D.C. and the presidency.

Brian

Some people actually memorised whole speeches back in those days.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #1793 on: September 30, 2014, 08:50:15 PM »
I have to believe that this was so because I can hear his words in my heart, 150 odd years later.

Brian

Heck, they may even have spoken from the heart.  Go figure, eh?

voileauciel

« Reply #1794 on: October 01, 2014, 06:37:12 AM »
I have to believe that this was so because I can hear his words in my heart, 150 odd years later.

Brian

You might want to visit a cardiologist.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #1795 on: October 06, 2014, 05:57:01 PM »
So exactly how does a mammal's stomach work- something we have all wondered at one time or another probably.  :o ::)  Certainly William Beaumont wondered but what was a bit unusual about him was that an opportunity was provided, all by accident of course and in the most literal sense.

It seems that Alexis St. Martin was shot in the abdomen with a musket way back on 6 June, 1822. Beaumont was the physician who atteneded him, most of the treatment apparently consisting of bleeding (well what else would he do?). Beaumont did not expect St. Martin to survive but to everyone's surprise not only did he survive but fully recovered..... kinda'. It seems that the stomach had been punctured and instead of closing onto itself, it healed to the opening in St. Martin's abdomen leaving him with a permanent fistula or "port" that lead directly into his stomach. St. Martin could not go back to his regular work so Beaumont hired him to be a general 'handyman' and, of course, perform experiments on him for the next 11 years. Most of these experiments consisted of poking and prodding of but some of them were about hanging various materials on a string into St. Martin's stomach to see what happened. Turns out there is acid in there- who knew?

Eventually they parted ways and of course both men died in due time. But the interesting thing is that Dr. Beaumont died in 1853 as the result of a fall on ice covered steps while St. Martin did not die until 1880.

I take it that the moral of the story is that while muskets are dangerous, they can yield the by- product of interesting hobbies while icy steps are just plain deadly.

Brian

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #1796 on: October 06, 2014, 06:16:58 PM »
The alternative moral would be the need for a three day waiting period and and a license to possess deadly steps.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #1797 on: October 06, 2014, 06:22:57 PM »
Yeah 'cause a "cooling off period" just won't work for ice.

Maybe we need a catchphrase.... perhaps "If slipping on ice is outlawed, only criminals will fall down." ?

Brian

The alternative moral would be the need for a three day waiting period and and a license to possess deadly steps.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #1798 on: October 09, 2014, 04:42:34 AM »
Strange goings on here last night.  Lots of helos flying low, fast, and noisy.  Something is going on...  I'm thinking attack helicopters by their speed.  Some have lots of lights, some just have a red light flashing.  Traveling in pairs it seems.  I'm sure they're doing some training out of AP Hill.  It's nice to hear the noise, even though it's unexpected.  Reminds me of my childhood on AF bases with the bombers taking off and landing.  I love that noise.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #1799 on: October 09, 2014, 06:11:19 AM »
Well, my son did just move into the area. Normally a pretty quiet kid but we all have our moments, right? I wonder if he could have screwed up badly enough to generate all of that.....?

:rotflmao:

Brian

Strange goings on here last night.  Lots of helos flying low, fast, and noisy.  Something is going on...  I'm thinking attack helicopters by their speed.  Some have lots of lights, some just have a red light flashing.  Traveling in pairs it seems.  I'm sure they're doing some training out of AP Hill.  It's nice to hear the noise, even though it's unexpected.  Reminds me of my childhood on AF bases with the bombers taking off and landing.  I love that noise.