Author Topic: Symtec Grip Heater switch failure  (Read 2404 times)

Offline TRBN

Symtec Grip Heater switch failure
« on: September 18, 2011, 02:26:52 PM »
Looks like my Symtec Grip Heaters Hi-Off-Lo toggle switch has died.  Other than replacing it like for like, are there any suggestions for a replacement switch that will have a longer life/easier to use?  A similar size switch replacement would be preferred so it can fit into the existing hole where the bad switch is removed from.

Aaron

Offline Tarheelbob

Re: Symtec Grip Heater switch failure
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 04:07:29 PM »
Two things to check:

1. Make sure the switch isn't grounding out on the metal stays behind the dash if you've mounted in the left side in the blank dash insert.

2. Check your solders and connections. I had just about given up on mine and re-wired it from stem-to-stern. Bad solder job on my part (cold solder joints) was the culprit. Works fine now.
When life hands you lemons, go get the tequila and salt.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 04:23:38 PM »
I am sure it wound not fit but if you want to go with the ultimate in reliability, you might want to consider replacing it with a KiPass activation switch.

When you care enough to use the very best....

Brian

Looks like my Symtec Grip Heaters Hi-Off-Lo toggle switch has died.  Other than replacing it like for like, are there any suggestions for a replacement switch that will have a longer life/easier to use?  A similar size switch replacement would be preferred so it can fit into the existing hole where the bad switch is removed from.

Aaron
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline TRBN

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2011, 10:54:15 PM »
Two things to check:

1. Make sure the switch isn't grounding out on the metal stays behind the dash if yve mounted in the left side in the blank dash insert.

2. Check your solders and connections. I had just about given up on mine and re-wired it from stem-to-stern. Bad solder job on my part (cold solder joints) was the culprit. Works fine now.

I pulled the switch out and cannot get any resistance value across the switch terminals when the switch is in either the Hi or Lo position..  So I am pretty sure its the switch.

Aaron

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 08:20:54 AM »
I am sure it wound not fit but if you want to go with the ultimate in reliability, you might want to consider replacing it with a KiPass activation switch.

When you care enough to use the very best....

Brian

or if you don't mind carrying an extra key, the he could adapt the ignition switch from an FJR. I'm sure I can think of somebody who would agree...  8)
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline TRBN

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011, 06:48:03 PM »

I'm messing with the switch this afternoon, using my multimeter to test continuity when the damn thing slips out of my hands...  4 foot drop to the garage floor, a bounce and a roll, and wouldn't ya know, the switch now passes current!!  Sure enough, hook the switch back to the grips and all is working normally... 

Ordered a new switch anyway, but at least they are working now on the old switch...

Aaron