Author Topic: Murphs' Kits Wedges  (Read 38380 times)

Offline gildaguz

Re: Murphs' Kits Wedges
« Reply #80 on: August 17, 2011, 05:47:09 PM »
Just finish installing my kit, did take some measurements before and after, in top of the 1"up it move the bars 1.5 " closer and 3/4 " back, did not rode it yet, will do it tomorrow to work, it take about 30 minutes and have no problem with the washers, i did use some start ( lock ) washers under the aluminum washers  and they lock them in place preventing they from rotate
Here is a washers picture
2009 Non ABS Concours Black
2006 Honda VTX 1300 C candy Orange
2004 Honda Shadow  Sabre 750
1979 Suzuki 185 all terrain

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #81 on: August 17, 2011, 06:15:46 PM »
You do realize that Murph is going to FAX your money back to you, don't you? He FAX'd me some tires one time 'cause I was in a hurry; they mounted OK but did not wear well at all....

Brian

You rock, but I feel it is not your fault, as there is nothing wrong with the kit.  I really don't want to send them back, I'd much prefer to sell them at a discount.  Cause I know I'm gonna' buy some more stuff (PR3!!!) from you and I'm sure I'll come out ahead in the long run.

EXCELLENT customer service.  And I recently experienced (elsewhere) HOOOOOORRRRRRIIIIBLE customer service.

Thanks Murph, always a pleasure dealing with you on the phone or via text....

Barry
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Barry

• Arena
« Reply #82 on: August 17, 2011, 06:29:41 PM »
Oh... the rubber washer idea, worked, but the installation destroys the washers.  THey are squashed and torn.  SO... it works, but have more on hand when you remove the bolts.

FYI...

Barry
Tail of the Dragon at Deal's Gap... Avoid it now, do a trackday.

Area P full exhaust, PC-V, Autotune, filter, flys out.

Offline Murph

« Reply #83 on: August 18, 2011, 03:06:06 PM »
gildaguz

the star lock is a great idea..standard external 8mm lock?

Murph
COG 2769
Industry Member

Offline gildaguz

« Reply #84 on: August 18, 2011, 04:07:50 PM »
gildaguz

the star lock is a great idea..standard external 8mm lock?

Murph
COG 2769
Industry Member
Yes, but there is a little problem , they fit to tight in the holes in the handle-bar stanchion so i have to grind it very slightly  so they go freely all the way to the bottom

Offline gildaguz

« Reply #85 on: August 18, 2011, 04:21:53 PM »
Rode it to work, round trip around 50 miles and i like it,  i don't see any more the handle-bars ends reflected  in the mirrors , mine is a 09, the slight change in width don't bother me, normally when i arrive home or work after trip i did feel the numbness in my  hands  , some thing  i don't feel today, so i thing they work for me and i don't have the need of install risers
Thanks Murphs

Offline Murph

« Reply #86 on: August 18, 2011, 05:15:42 PM »
"Thanks Murphs"   ;)

thanks Phil!

"they fit to tight in the holes "

I'll look at the specs for internal star locks...Not sure they would work as well though

Murph
COG 2769
Industry Member

Offline MrFurious

« Reply #87 on: August 19, 2011, 02:16:28 AM »
Have had my wedges in for a week now and racked up about 300 miles.  All I can say is THANK YOU! as I can finally ride more than 15 miles without my hands getting sore in the palm and more than 100 miles without my right pinky and ring fingers going numb.  Debated on whether or not I wanted to pull the risers to see how that feels with just the wedges, but if I do that I'll lose my Powerlet outlet and GPS ball mount.    Think I'll play it safe and leave well enough alone and just enjoy riding in comfort for awhile.
Jim B.
COG #9642
2009 C14 - Black - Non-ABS
Insanity is not as easy as I make it look!

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #88 on: August 27, 2011, 04:47:47 PM »
Got my wedges from Murph installed today, wow what a difference, alot more than I thought it would be, in a good way!!

I'm also running 2" Helibar risers, I'm only 5'8" and have short arms, these wedges were exactly what I needed to make this right for me, it pulled the bars back right to where I wanted them to be. It sure felt different and maybe a little akward for the first 15 minutes of riding but once I got used to the bars new possition I really like it now, rode another couple hours and now just love it!!

I totally recommend this farkle for anyone else out there that wants to decrease the reach to the bars if you're a shorter armed person like me...
Thanks Murph, you da'man!!  :thumbs: :hail: :chugbeer:

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #89 on: August 28, 2011, 06:34:45 AM »
Got my wedges from Murph installed today, wow what a difference, alot more than I thought it would be, in a good way!!

I'm also running 2" Helibar risers, I'm only 5'8" and have short arms, these wedges were exactly what I needed to make this right for me, it pulled the bars back right to where I wanted them to be. It sure felt different and maybe a little akward for the first 15 minutes of riding but once I got used to the bars new possition I really like it now, rode another couple hours and now just love it!!

I totally recommend this farkle for anyone else out there that wants to decrease the reach to the bars if you're a shorter armed person like me...

Your post is a mirror of mine :)  And now we have the identical setup
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline MrFurious

« Reply #90 on: August 28, 2011, 07:32:08 AM »
Your post is a mirror of mine :)  And now we have the identical setup

+1

That's ZG for you though, always trying to keep up with the Jones' when it comes to farkles.   ;D
Jim B.
COG #9642

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #91 on: August 28, 2011, 09:51:55 AM »
+1

That's ZG for you though, always trying to keep up with the Jones' when it comes to farkles.   ;D

;D ;D ;D

I'm just trying to keep up with all you guys, it seems to be a moving target though because after every farkle lately I think that's it I'm all done... Then a month goes by and some other new piece of fun and excitement pops up on here and calls my name...

Offline MrFurious

« Reply #92 on: August 28, 2011, 10:31:41 AM »
Aside from adding heated grips and maybe reflashing the ECU this winter I'm done buying stuff for mine.  I'm already on the lookout for another bike to serve as my money pit and keep me entertained (or frustrated) this winter.
Jim B.
COG #9642

Offline CB Schmaltz

• FLY RIDE SKI SAIL
    • www.BuyNWProperty.com
Re: Murphs' Kits Wedges tall or shorter
« Reply #93 on: September 07, 2011, 10:52:09 AM »
Question?????
of those of you that only used the wedge ( no riser)
how tall are you
not sure how to gage like or dislike of the wedge for rider size
so tall is what I will use for a bench mark
I'd like to know if you liked or disliked wedges alone
and how tall you are
looking for a responce of somehting like

6'1'' and liked the wedge
other note: bla bla bla

thanxs
CB Schmaltz, Hood River, Or
503 806 1525
Connie 14, &  KLR best 2 bikes in the world.
Others in the stalls, VROD, WR250r,  Shadow Spirt, Versys 650, CRF250l, Vsrtom , 75 Z1B

Offline PH14

« Reply #94 on: September 07, 2011, 11:24:31 AM »
Question?????
how tall are you
and how tall you are

thanxs

5' 11" and did not like the wedge. The angle of the bar with the wedge seemed unnatural to me and was uncomfortable. To me, the angle of the stock bars seems more natural. The wedges make the width between the bars more narrow as well which lessens the leverage of the bars causing it to require a bit more force to initiate turns.

The only good part of the wedges for me was the fact they angled the bars back towards the rider a bit more. If there was a wedge that did only that it would be good.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #95 on: September 07, 2011, 08:53:41 PM »
Question?????
how tall are you
and how tall you are

"tallness" says only a little about body mechanics.  I am only 5'7", but I am probably not much shorter than you when sitting.  (Hint- torso height and leg/arm lengths are not directly proportional to each other nor to standing height)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Steve Bell

« Reply #96 on: September 07, 2011, 09:09:03 PM »
"tallness" says only a little about body mechanics.  I am only 5'7", but I am probably not much shorter than you when sitting.  (Hint- torso height and leg/arm lengths are not directly proportional to each other nor to standing height)

Exactly!!
I am 5'8" but have short arms and lean over more than the average guy who is the same height. I had the wedges but switched to the LSL set up and find it much better for me.

Offline Barry

• Arena
« Reply #97 on: September 08, 2011, 05:53:15 AM »
I found the quality of the wedges to be fine.  I simply didn't like the way the kit moved the bars inward.  Someone measured and I believe the inward movement was something like .75" on each bar (IIRC)?

Either way, I felt constricted after the install on my commute to work.  I removed them at work, and was MUCH happier on my commute home.

I'm 5'9", and tend to ride right on the tank.

Barry
Tail of the Dragon at Deal's Gap... Avoid it now, do a trackday.

Area P full exhaust, PC-V, Autotune, filter, flys out.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #98 on: September 08, 2011, 06:19:27 AM »
Question?????
how tall are you
and how tall you are

thanxs
Height alone will not tell you much. I'm 5-10. Long arms. I ride with a forward lean, pushed back in a custom seat. Stock handlebars w/wedges. The wedges helped slightly in turning my wrists back to a more comfortable position. Not enough for me but better. The slight tip to the rear was almost unnoticeable to me. The mini-apes from Heli may be better but from what I've read they may be to high for me. The $700 dollars is hard for me to swallow. The LSL bars would probably work if I wanted to hang two, three or four sets of bars on the on the wall til I found the right set. So for lack of a better alternative the wedges will have to do.

Offline CB Schmaltz

• FLY RIDE SKI SAIL
    • www.BuyNWProperty.com
« Reply #99 on: September 08, 2011, 06:32:49 AM »
height alone doesnt tell the whole story , yes.....
BUT
I needed some kinda ref pt
any
orderd murphs KB 107
thanxs for the input
CB Schmaltz, Hood River, Or
503 806 1525
Connie 14, &  KLR best 2 bikes in the world.
Others in the stalls, VROD, WR250r,  Shadow Spirt, Versys 650, CRF250l, Vsrtom , 75 Z1B