Author Topic: Cruise Control Diagnostics  (Read 3416 times)

Offline mikeb2411

Cruise Control Diagnostics
« on: August 01, 2014, 10:38:23 AM »
I'm throwing this out there in hopes that SOMEONE has had the same issue or knows how to fix it. I am installing the Rostra CC and have everything mounted and finished wiring it up last night. I confirmed the relay on the brake works and the control pad lights and powers up (the orange LED comes on when I click the "on" button on the control pad).

I tried to enter "diagnostic mode" by following the instructions and holding the Resume/Accel button while I powered on the bike. Problem is, it's not entering diagnostics mode. I get no LED indicator when I pull the brake or push on any of the switches...I get nothin >:(! I know I didn't miss any connections and wired it up according to Brian's guide (great guide by the way) so I am at a loss :banghead:???. I don't really want to go back and check every connector (used posi-taps, Bullet Connectors, and Insulated Spade Disconnect Connectors instead of splicing).

Does this ring any bells???? I know it's a long shot but I thought I would try.

Thanks!
Mike
Ojai, CA
2016 Black Triumph Trophy SE

Offline Rhino

• Arena
Re: Cruise Control Diagnostics
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 11:00:10 AM »
I never got mine to enter diagnostic mode either. Never got the light to blink when turning the rear wheel. But it's been working great for the last 3 years anyway.

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 11:09:56 AM »
Sounds like you take it out, try it and keep your finger on the kill switch.
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 11:13:16 AM »
I never got mine to enter diagnostic mode either. Never got the light to blink when turning the rear wheel. But it's been working great for the last 3 years anyway.

Really??? Might be test riding tonight!!
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 11:15:27 AM »

:rotflmao:...no doubt!
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2014, 11:41:17 AM »

Same here.

That's what I had to do.
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2014, 02:19:09 PM »
Yeah, diagnostic mode has proven to be touch with these things. First of all, the way you enter that mode depends on the switch you are using so first of all, use the Rostra manual and try ALL the methods to get into diagnostic mode. And even then a lot of these units just will not enter diagnostic mode and I do not know why. But as you can tell, a lot of people have not been able to get there and just go for the old test ride to see if it works.

If it won't enter diagnostic mode and it won't work in actual testing, the diagnosis gets a bit more difficult but it can be done.

Brian

I'm throwing this out there in hopes that SOMEONE has had the same issue or knows how to fix it. I am installing the Rostra CC and have everything mounted and finished wiring it up last night. I confirmed the relay on the brake works and the control pad lights and powers up (the orange LED comes on when I click the "on" button on the control pad).

I tried to enter "diagnostic mode" by following the instructions and holding the Resume/Accel button while I powered on the bike. Problem is, it's not entering diagnostics mode. I get no LED indicator when I pull the brake or push on any of the switches...I get nothin >:(! I know I didn't miss any connections and wired it up according to Brian's guide (great guide by the way) so I am at a loss :banghead:???. I don't really want to go back and check every connector (used posi-taps, Bullet Connectors, and Insulated Spade Disconnect Connectors instead of splicing).

Does this ring any bells???? I know it's a long shot but I thought I would try.

Thanks!
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2014, 02:31:34 PM »
+1
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline mkurland

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2014, 02:46:33 PM »
According to Brian's guide (just below Fig 7)

The harness under my thumb is the VSS harness that comes with the bike. The harness above my fingers that the bullet connectors and wire feed into is the harness for the Rostra and just wrapped with electrical tape. You can also see the bottom of the Rostra throttle cable mount and throttle cable in this picture. The VSS itself is the rectangular unit visible on the top of the left side engine cover. It is retained with a single screw and is O-ringed so there is not gasket to replace.

3) Light green Rostra wire to Black / white dot on the motorcycle. Note: Do not attach this wire until after the diagnostic procedure is done. The Rostra will not enter diagnostic mode if the clutch wire is connected to the motorcycle. Make the clutch wire to the Rostra NSS the last connection after all diagnostics are completed but before test riding with the cruise control.

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2014, 02:47:49 PM »
According to Brian's guide (just below Fig 7)

The harness under my thumb is the VSS harness that comes with the bike. The harness above my fingers that the bullet connectors and wire feed into is the harness for the Rostra and just wrapped with electrical tape. You can also see the bottom of the Rostra throttle cable mount and throttle cable in this picture. The VSS itself is the rectangular unit visible on the top of the left side engine cover. It is retained with a single screw and is O-ringed so there is not gasket to replace.

3) Light green Rostra wire to Black / white dot on the motorcycle. Note: Do not attach this wire until after the diagnostic procedure is done. The Rostra will not enter diagnostic mode if the clutch wire is connected to the motorcycle. Make the clutch wire to the Rostra NSS the last connection after all diagnostics are completed but before test riding with the cruise control.

Made sure the NSS was not connected.
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline PH14

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2014, 04:19:29 PM »
Really??? Might be test riding tonight!!

Glad to see you got it installed. Have a good test ride and may the force be with you.

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2014, 05:05:35 PM »
Glad to see you got it installed. Have a good test ride and may the force be with you.

LOL...thanks! I'm going in to double check everything and if diagnostics doesn't work after this test, it's off to the test ride :thumbs:! BTW...had to drive to work and back the past 3 days...HORRIBLE! Southern California traffic...I miss riding so bad :'(...took me 1.5 hours to travel 40 miles yesterday AND today :censored:!
Mike
Ojai, CA