Author Topic: Headlight with projectors already built-in  (Read 4181 times)

Offline pcaddict66

Offline datsaxman@hotmail.com

• Arena
Re: Headlight with projectors already built-in
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 03:06:10 PM »
For $650???  You go first.  I like the new high output LED headlights. 
Just ordered a pair today for my new-to-me C14.  Road test when they arrive.

saxman
2008 ZG14X...ZX14 throttle bodies, full AreaP exhaust, heated grips, Corbin, and more...
161.5RWHP on the dyno
Formerly Silverdammit!

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 03:53:45 PM »
I just saw them! Very interesting- please do report on how you like them and what you think about them.

If you wanted to be a great guy and our hero for an entire day, a photo of a garage wall or similar with the lights shining on it would be outstanding. And that photo of the wall with one light being the original halogen and the other light being the new LED type would be the very best way for all of us (including yourself) to compare them- we would see the amount of light and the pattern each lamp produced in the same frame that way.

As always, any info. on new products like this appreciated.

Brian

saxman
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Son of Pappy

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 04:15:57 PM »

saxman
Linky please?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 04:39:53 PM »
I just saw them!

How are they any different than the other ones from Ebay posted in other threads already?  Look the same to me.  So far, nobody has reported getting them.

Very interesting- please do report on how you like them and what you think about them.

Exactly- he can be our guinea pig!

As always, any info. on new products like this appreciated.

You are just looking for a shortcut now to not finish your Infiniti lights project!  We haven't forgotten!!

If you wait long enough, you can skip HID all together and jump straight to LED.  The Q50 apparently uses LED (which I find far more fascinating now).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2013, 06:42:53 PM »
Well, I don't know about any other H4 LEDs- I only saw the one set and it was recently so I cannot comment on how they might be different from any other sets.... that I have not seen.

Well, good news and bad news: the good news is that I just had a sizable project taken 'off my plate'. The bad news is that that project won't generate any money just like it won't take up any more time.

I did not forget about the headlights, I just abandoned them until I could figure out how I wanted to add the DRL's.... and I think I may have a method. But still, not quite ready to proceed with that one just yet. But good on your for taking me to task over that- I really did drop the ball on that one after making a big deal out of it so I earned your scorn.  :-[

Back to the LED H4 lamps: I am quite curious but unfortunately do not think they can compete with current halogen lamps in existing H4 headlight buckets. LED's can put out the amount of light OK but not in nearly as small a space and not sending that light out in the same way, which is omni- directional. But I really would like to see them perform, and at some point, the whole world will go over to LEDs for most lighting I think. Still, HIDs are untouchable by any other technology for lumen density and still out- perform anything else that I have seen or seen data from in headlights. (I know I skipped types there but wanted to slip that one in (easy boys!) ).

Brian

How are they any different than the other ones from Ebay posted in other threads already?  Look the same to me.  So far, nobody has reported getting them.

Exactly- he can be our guinea pig!

You are just looking for a shortcut now to not finish your Infiniti lights project!  We haven't forgotten!!

If you wait long enough, you can skip HID all together and jump straight to LED.  The Q50 apparently uses LED (which I find far more fascinating now).
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2013, 09:52:22 PM »
Back to the LED H4 lamps: I am quite curious but unfortunately do not think they can compete with current halogen lamps in existing H4 headlight buckets.

Absolutely not.  But I wasn't talking about an LED H4 lamp, just LED headlights in general- something designed specifically for LED.  I don't think it would be possible to have some type of H4 compatible lamp, if ever... mostly because LEDs need a lot of heat sink and emit light very differently.

LED's can put out the amount of light OK but not in nearly as small a space and not sending that light out in the same way, which is omni- directional.

It will require a projection system housing and lenses designed specifically for LED properties to be effective (larger surface area, narrow beam emission, large heat sink, etc).  I am sure that is what Infiniti is doing, although I have almost no actual information about it (I am just assuming).  I know they would not try using them if they were inferior to HID in any way (except maybe space).
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 12:39:32 PM by maxtog »
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2013, 10:08:26 PM »
I recently saw a vehicle on the highway that had four small projectors in-line as the main headlights (low beam). I have to believe they were LED's. I do not remember the make but it was a 'higher end' auto so maybe it was in Infinity. At any rate, the numbers work: a current high output LED can reach 1,000 lumens and with four of them on each side, it would be possible to drive them to, say, 750 lumens each and still reach HID output. More lenses, reflectors and housings but no ballasts and the actual LED is quite a bit less expensive than a single HID burner. And no high voltage to concern the designers. So a setup like that would work and just maybe, I have seen it on the road. From what I could tell riding next to it at night, excellent illumination with a very even beam pattern.

A bit OFFTOPIC: there was an interesting idea being developed a few years ago that was based on one illumination chamber (not unlike a lazing chamber) with fiber optics carrying the light to different parts of the vehicle as needed. All external and a lot of internal light was provided by this light chamber with a back- up bulb built into it. The initial reports were outstanding- to the point where they had to have the headlights frosted in places to meet the max. lumen rating everywhere w/in the headlight beam spread. In other words, they absolutely maxed out DOT headlight output in raw lumens. Cool stuff. But the advent of more powerful and less expensive LEDs kind of killed off that idea.

Brian

Absolutely not.  But I wasn't talking about an LED H4 lamp, just LED headlights in general- something designed specifically for LED.  I don't think it would be possible to have some type of H4 compatible lamp, if ever... mostly because LEDs need a lot of heat sync and emit light very differently.

It will require a projection system housing and lenses designed specifically for LED properties to be effective (larger surface area, narrow beam emission, large heat sync, etc).  I am sure that is what Infiniti is doing, although I have almost no actual information about it (I am just assuming).  I know they would not try using them if they were inferior to HID in any way (except maybe space).

Offline datsaxman@hotmail.com

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2013, 12:12:57 PM »
Maxtog...it is "heat sink", amigo.  A place to bury heat, not synchronize. 

They come with heat sinks, and I do not know how well or how poorly they will work, and how much modification will be needed to get optimum beam patterns.  Early adopter stuff.

Dammit...linky with road test.  Try and be patient. 

BDF...comparison fotos may not happen.  I have high output H4s in there from the PO...one of the low beams is fried.  I am not going to run out and buy two new stock bulbs at this point, and that would be the only meaningful way to compare.  I CAN put in two random incandescent H4 bulbs, then two 35W HID, then two 55W HID, THEN the LEDs.  I think all that is in the garage or on the C10 right now.  That might be interesting. 

Hero for the week will be expected for all that.  Or a willing buyer for my now-neglected C10.  Ad in For Sale section up soon...Changing the lights at night, with the bike parked, is the only way to insure the position stays identical, right?  Oh, the pain of it all...

saxman
2008 ZG14X...ZX14 throttle bodies, full AreaP exhaust, heated grips, Corbin, and more...
161.5RWHP on the dyno
Formerly Silverdammit!

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2013, 12:26:55 PM »
Yep, all of that testing would be great but that was not what I suggested 'cause I would not ask for that amount of work from anyone.

What I would like is a photo of a wall with a C-14's headlights' pattern on it. If one side was a halogen H4 (I do not care which type, just tell us what it is) and the other side the new LED lamp, both on at the same time, I would be very appreciative. That is all I am asking for- a few minutes work I think rather than hours of painstaking documentation. The two lamp types will make it quite clear (little pun intended) which is putting out how much light and the relative pattern, hot spots w/in that pattern, etc., all in one photo.

An additional single photo of the bike in the same configuration (one side tungsten H4, the other side the new LED lamp) would also be fantastic, especially if takes just below the cut- off line from the front. One more additional photo almost exactly the same but takes from just above the cut- off line would be superb and you could be my hero for a day and a half.  ;D

Brian

They come with heat sinks, and I do not know how well or how poorly they will work, and how much modification will be needed to get optimum beam patterns.  Early adopter stuff.

Dammit...linky with road test.  Try and be patient. 

BDF...comparison fotos may not happen.  I have high output H4s in there from the PO...one of the low beams is fried.  I am not going to run out and buy two new stock bulbs at this point, and that would be the only meaningful way to compare.  I CAN put in two random incandescent H4 bulbs, then two 35W HID, then two 55W HID, THEN the LEDs.  I think all that is in the garage or on the C10 right now.  That might be interesting. 

Hero for the week will be expected for all that.  Or a willing buyer for my now-neglected C10.  Ad in For Sale section up soon...Changing the lights at night, with the bike parked, is the only way to insure the position stays identical, right?  Oh, the pain of it all...

saxman

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2013, 12:38:44 PM »

Whoops, right you are.  I am just in that computer lingo mode (hard to not be; I use that word probably every day).  Fixed.

For an H4 replacement for headlights? I had not seen them.. only hybrids or lamps for lower lumen H4 applications like running lights or fog lights.  Like this THIS thing:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-H4-9003-High-Power-COB-LED-3200lm-High-Low-HeadLight-40W-Light-Bulb-DRL-Xenon-/310782543484  that is a lot sticking out the back!

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2013, 02:16:43 PM »
Right, and that is how they are different- they are main, H4, full- blown headlight lamps that are LED based. And yep, lots o' heatsink sticking out the back and I becha' they get rather ----warm---- in use (read: leave burn scars on your fingers).

It looks like two dies per lamp and I have to say, those are the biggest LED single die wafers I have seen. It would follow too given that they are approaching 20 watts each! I am anxious to hear.... and maybe see?.... how they perform both as to light output / pattern as well as longevity. It does look like they are going to have poor cut- off control and spew a lot of light above the cut-off line on both high and low beam, and only intensity changes when changing to 'high' beam. Still, it is a leap forward in sheer light output for LEDs if they are anywhere near the 3,200 lumens claimed.

Brian

<snip>

For an H4 replacement for headlights? I had not seen them.. only hybrids or lamps for lower lumen H4 applications like running lights or fog lights.  Like this THIS thing:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-H4-9003-High-Power-COB-LED-3200lm-High-Low-HeadLight-40W-Light-Bulb-DRL-Xenon-/310782543484  that is a lot sticking out the back!

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2013, 06:18:11 PM »
LEDs are the future, plus they are
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline ljcorby

• COG#: 9359
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2013, 08:56:17 AM »
Whoops, right you are.  I am just in that computer lingo mode (hard to not be; I use that word probably every day).  Fixed.

Anyone have these on their bike that could supply pictures?  They look interesting.
10 Kawi Concours 14 ABS

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2013, 09:28:50 AM »
LEDs are the future, plus they are

:goodpost: :thumbs: