Author Topic: Throttle Tamer, didn't know what I was missing  (Read 44520 times)

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
Re: Throttle Tamer, didn't know what I was missing
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2013, 04:02:41 PM »
Where did you see this on their site Martin?

Conrad, sorry, I missed your question at the bottom of the page. I found the answer to my question anyway  :)
That part is not for the C14  :battle:

Oh! and I just ordered the right one ;D
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

jirod

« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2014, 09:33:19 AM »
Ordered my throttle tamer and installed it last weekend. Went for a short ride and the improvement on throttle control was felt immediately. Can't go wrong with this farkle. Highly recommended. Also ordered a pair of their Domino grips, and turned out to be really nice.

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2014, 09:57:54 AM »
Darn this site telling me about products I didn't even know I needed!  Just placed an order, I have noticed the jerkiness of the throttle before but was just living with it.  BTW, you can order it off Amazon for $64 shipped in the US: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0031742QC/ref=ox_ya_os_product but only a few left in stock.
Was this the correct tamer for the Concours that you got off of Amazon? I would rather order from Amazon cause it's free shipping, and $16 cheaper.

Offline manowarwi

• Midwest Sport Riders
« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2014, 07:22:09 PM »
Was this the correct tamer for the Concours that you got off of Amazon? I would rather order from Amazon cause it's free shipping, and $16 cheaper.

I haven't installed mine yet, but the packaging is labeled correctly and stamped F4 on the cam and the instructions say for application for various Kawasaki motorcycles so I'm 99% its the right one.
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly

2014 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC
2008 Concours - Gone but not forgotten

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2014, 08:07:02 PM »
I did not know this was something that I needed, but after reading some reviews and all of the your comments here I had to go ahead and order one up.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2014, 09:05:23 PM »
That really is on the slate for this fall.  With all the work I've been doing, everything is being pushed back, although I did adjust my suspension and put my heavier bar ends back on this past weekend.
Your virtual guilt trip ;)

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2014, 09:06:39 PM »
I did not know this was something that I needed, but after reading some reviews and all of the your comments here I had to go ahead and order one up.

Keep me posted on this Gumby...  :popcorn: :chugbeer:

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2014, 09:34:34 PM »

Yeah, mine is still sitting in the garage waiting for the right time to be installed.  I have heard nothing but positive stuff about it.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Caffeinated

• Arena
« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2014, 09:18:08 AM »
Max, Do you feel the throttle tamer is still needed with the Guhl flash? or needed more due to the engine response?

I had one on my 2011 and it seemed to help. I don't seem to be having the same throttle snatchy-ness on my 2012.

Chris (COG# 8538), Bristow, Va
2012 Black Concours 1400
2011 Silver Concours 1400 (Totaled)
2002 Silver Concours (sold), 06 Vulcan 900LT (sold), 03 VStar 650 (sold)

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2014, 10:37:56 AM »
Max, Do you feel the throttle tamer is still needed with the Guhl flash? or needed more due to the engine response?

I had one on my 2011 and it seemed to help. I don't seem to be having the same throttle snatchy-ness on my 2012.

I have a Guhl flash and still found the tamer made a big difference.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2014, 05:02:42 PM »

You know, that is an excellent question and I was wondering the same thing at first.  Theoretically, they do two entirely different things.  Ironically, it seems like the Ghul flash *does* help a little with the throttle control, for reasons I can't quite explain.  But it doesn't get rid of most of the "snatchiness".

I suspect that is just your getting used to it, not that there is any difference.  Your throttle cables might be adjusted a bit differently between the two, but the 2010/2011/12/13/14 are absolutely identical in every way that matters.   It is funny, even after having the bike for almost 3 years, I still have some issues with the throttle.  I always feel very unsure and timid in low gears and when pulling off because it seems so unpredictable and hypersensitive (compared to all other older bikes I have ridden).  And that is what I hope the throttle tamer will correct.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Caffeinated

• Arena
« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2014, 07:29:24 PM »
I suspect that is just your getting used to it, not that there is any difference.  Your throttle cables might be adjusted a bit differently between the two, but the 2010/2011/12/13/14 are absolutely identical in every way that matters.   It is funny, even after having the bike for almost 3 years, I still have some issues with the throttle.  I always feel very unsure and timid in low gears and when pulling off because it seems so unpredictable and hypersensitive (compared to all other older bikes I have ridden).  And that is what I hope the throttle tamer will correct.

I adjusted my 2011 all the time trying to get it to smooth out. No dice...and even with the Tamer it was better, but not great. Factory cable setting at the engine end and maintenance on the cables may play a part.

One thing that helped was when I added the Heli Horizon bars, and all pressure was taken off my hands. My 2012 does not have the Horizons, but does have a Laam seat that gets the pressure off my hands.

Chris (COG# 8538), Bristow, Va
2012 Black Concours 1400
2011 Silver Concours 1400 (Totaled)
2002 Silver Concours (sold), 06 Vulcan 900LT (sold), 03 VStar 650 (sold)

Offline Smokeyzx

« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2014, 09:34:34 AM »
I'm finally set in getting this thing. So after yesterday's glitch with their site, I finally got to it and they seem to offer yet another option called Quick Turn Throttle Tube. Anybody knows something about it?
I'm intersted in decreasing the angle of rotation of the grip that is necessary to achieve full throttle, but I think that increasing the cam radius will also increase the effort that has to be applied. Thoughts?
Besides, does this Quick Turn variant include the "taming" function?

I called The G2 tech support and talked to Gary about decreasing the angle of the rotation. He said there were options available so he sent (had to buy it, same price as the tamer) me the k100 cam which is 20 degrees less turn than stock. Put it on and everything fits ok, no clearance issues. I can go full throttle without having to re grip! I'm absolutely loving this thing. This is whole new bike now! It's much more aggressive feeling. So when I blip it the same amount as before to pass a car I'm going faster and getting there quicker than before. I was afraid it was too much when I first started riding with it but I was able to get used to it pretty quickly. Worried that I'd give it too much too fast while in traffic. No worries at all. I've got 300 miles on it and I'm still grinning. Called Gary again 815-535-3236 to see if I could try even steeper versions. They're going to send an 050 cam (10% less turn than the 100) and an 025 (20% less turn than the 100). I'll let you know how they work.

Once you have the Tamer you can play around with the different cams. The cams are $25 a piece and you'll want to call Gary to make sure you're getting the correct one.
Colorado
2013 Blue

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2014, 02:54:28 PM »
I called The G2 tech support and talked to Gary about decreasing the angle of the rotation. He said there were options available so he sent (had to buy it, same price as the tamer) me the k100 cam which is 20 degrees less turn than stock. Put it on and everything fits ok, no clearance issues. I can go full throttle without having to re grip! I'm absolutely loving this thing. This is whole new bike now! It's much more aggressive feeling. So when I blip it the same amount as before to pass a car I'm going faster and getting there quicker than before. I was afraid it was too much when I first started riding with it but I was able to get used to it pretty quickly. Worried that I'd give it too much too fast while in traffic. No worries at all. I've got 300 miles on it and I'm still grinning. Called Gary again 815-535-3236 to see if I could try even steeper versions. They're going to send an 050 cam (10% less turn than the 100) and an 025 (20% less turn than the 100). I'll let you know how they work.

Once you have the Tamer you can play around with the different cams. The cams are $25 a piece and you'll want to call Gary to make sure you're getting the correct one.

Can you change the cam without taking the grip off again?

Offline Smokeyzx

« Reply #54 on: March 23, 2014, 06:35:30 PM »
You have to remove the grip. There's really nothing to that. I'll take some pics next time.

You DO NOT have to remove the grip to change the cams. Loosen the throttle cables, remove 4 screws and replace the cam. Couldn't be easier.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 05:08:04 AM by Smokeyzx »
Colorado
2013 Blue

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #55 on: March 25, 2014, 04:54:55 AM »
Can you change the cam without taking the grip off again?

That was exactly my question...

You have to remove the grip. There's really nothing to that. I'll take some pics next time.

cr@p...  :-\
but ever since I toyed with an HP4 I love the small angle you have to rotate the grip to access the power. The C14 is a big girl but nothing to be ashamed of, even compared to the beemer. But having to re-grip to get her really moving has started to bother me... I think I'll get that K100 cam.

Offline Smokeyzx

« Reply #56 on: March 25, 2014, 01:48:10 PM »
cr@p...  :-\
but ever since I toyed with an HP4 I love the small angle you have to rotate the grip to access the power. The C14 is a big girl but nothing to be ashamed of, even compared to the beemer. But having to re-grip to get her really moving has started to bother me... I think I'll get that K100 cam.

You won't regret it. Get ready because it really wakes the bike up.
Colorado
2013 Blue

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #57 on: March 30, 2014, 03:37:32 AM »
You won't regret it. Get ready because it really wakes the bike up.

do this other cams (100 and 050 and so on) have the "tamer" function too?

Offline manowarwi

• Midwest Sport Riders
« Reply #58 on: March 30, 2014, 06:54:17 PM »
I finally got around to installing my tamer (normal cam - not one of the special ones others have mentioed) and wow what a difference.  It really does do a great job smoothing out the throttle and installation was very easy. 

Putting a new grip on the new tube took seconds since it was off the bike so I could take it inside and put the grip in boiling water to loosen it up and then slip it on with no resistance.  Installing the cam itself was just removing the two screws holding the throttle together and loosening the throttle cables to get enough free play to unhook the stock and hook up the new one and then re-tighenting them.  For some reason I thought this would be more involved, but it was super easy and super quick. 

As a side bonus (well maybe not bonus, but one less thing to mess with) is the throttle tamer lined up perfectly with my throttlemeister so I no longer needed the shim that was required on the stock throttle tube. 
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly

2014 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC
2008 Concours - Gone but not forgotten

Offline Smokeyzx

« Reply #59 on: March 30, 2014, 07:13:47 PM »
do this other cams (100 and 050 and so on) have the "tamer" function too?

No they dont have that function but I dont think its needed with those cams.
Colorado
2013 Blue