Author Topic: I need more power  (Read 31989 times)

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
Re: I need more power
« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2012, 08:15:56 PM »

???  Not sure if that is a jab or compliment Brian?  :-\ 

Either way.... I found a hat for ya bro!  ;D   :chugbeer:

Nothing but love man, not a jab whatsoever.  :thumbs:  The stuff you have done is amazing, what I don't get is the need more power and more speed fetish that some have.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2012, 08:33:40 PM »

Nothing but love man, not a jab whatsoever.  :thumbs:  The stuff you have done is amazing

:)   :grouphug:   :chugbeer:

Offline wildnphx

• Arena
« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2012, 01:02:06 AM »

Nothing but love man, not a jab whatsoever.  :thumbs:  The stuff you have done is amazing, what I don't get is the need more power and more speed fetish that some have.

It's ok that you don't understand or get it...

We really don't understand why you wouldn't enjoy the new ZX14R motor in the Concours or why you think the Multistrada is the closest to having everything (and yes I have several friends with a Multistrada and I have ridden one many times... Nice bike but closest to having everything?  no way)  :stirpot:

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2012, 01:23:02 AM »
It's ok that you don't understand or get it...

We really don't understand why you wouldn't enjoy the new ZX14R motor in the Concours or why you think the Multistrada is the closest to having everything (and yes I have several friends with a Multistrada and I have ridden one many times... Nice bike but closest to having everything?  no way)  :stirpot: .

You have ridden the brand spanking new Multistrada? If that isn't the closest current single machine for a do it all bike, then there is no hope. Well I am not a speed demon, can't fully appreciate or utilize the power already on tap "most non factory racing riders cannot either", I don't drag race, I would have no desire to track day a C14, I don't ride on the Autobohn, I like the gas mileage I get, I like my insurance rate, I am a Father and a Husband, and my ego is perfectly in check. I am not overly difficult to satisfy and or have fun, and yes I have ridden allot of motorcycles, dirtbikes and ATV's in my 41 years. Hope you can scratch what is itching for ya, bet I have a feeling it would be short lived.  8)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline wildnphx

• Arena
« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2012, 11:08:08 AM »

You have ridden the brand spanking new Multistrada? If that isn't the closest current single machine for a do it all bike, then there is no hope. Well I am not a speed demon, can't fully appreciate or utilize the power already on tap "most non factory racing riders cannot either", I don't drag race, I would have no desire to track day a C14, I don't ride on the Autobohn, I like the gas mileage I get, I like my insurance rate, I am a Father and a Husband, and my ego is perfectly in check. I am not overly difficult to satisfy and or have fun, and yes I have ridden allot of motorcycles, dirtbikes and ATV's in my 41 years. Hope you can scratch what is itching for ya, bet I have a feeling it would be short lived.  8)

Yep I have ridden a new one from the dealer as they give me loaners every time I have service done which is at least 4 times a year for tires since I put 25k to 30k a year on the Concours.  See the pictures for a few of the bikes I have demo'd for the day usually racking up about 300 to 400 miles on them in that day :)  I just returned a Ducati Streetfighter after two days of fun but I have yet to find a Concours replacement.   I two have been riding since about 7 years old and now in my forties I have ridden allot of different things but I am never satisfied for my thirst for more power and torque that is controllable...  I love the feeling of the front wheel coming up as I roll on the throttle coming out a of curve or the bike standing up as you roll on the throttle exiting a curve...  I must say though that the low insurance rates are awesome and with a family and other toys I really really hate spending more on insurance and the ZX14R as the other bikes that have my interest (BMW S1000rr and Ducati Panigale) cost a arm and a leg to insure.   

Not sure if I agree with  - "can't fully appreciate or utilize the power already on tap "most non factory racing riders cannot either"   Are you suggesting that one must have been a factory sponsored racer to fully utilize and appreciate the power the Concours has? lol that is funny...

As far as ego or anything like that not sure what your saying...  I ride my own ride and enjoy every bit of it if someone is more comfortable riding faster so be it or if they want to ride slower then cool... At the end of the day one is responsible for their actions and decisions and they pay the price whatever it is for the decisions they make.

and the only thing that is "itching" me is you littering my thread with useless babble...  If you don't agree or don't understand someone else's point of view or desire for something that is no reason to talk down about it.  If you have nothing constructive or positive to say then better to say nothing at all....  :)

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #45 on: November 01, 2012, 12:33:16 PM »
My babble isn't littering your thread at all, my opinion vs yours is all. Some will agree with me, some will agree with you......that simple. What you are seeking has been beat to death on the forum anyways, you know your options so up to you to figure out the next move. And I stand by my statement about the majority of riders not being able to utilize all the power the C14 has even in stock form, but of course there are obvious exceptions like you. I won't litter your thread anymore, hope you find a possible solution to what you are wanting.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #46 on: November 01, 2012, 12:39:31 PM »
I'd prefer that you didn't....   

Babble.....I like that word.  I may use it in a sentence at some point in the next few days.  :)

I agree with Poke on the power of this bike.  It's scared me more than a few times.  I like having it at my beck and call to use how I see fit.  After owning a C10 and then going with the C14, I'm tremendously happy with what I have purchased.  I have found the bike for me, even with it's few warts.

People are always wanting to push the limit and I think that's a good thing as well.  We all learn from their efforts.  We have an excellent platform to ride and accessorize.

"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline ninjawarrior1400

• "There is no second place winner in a gunfight."
« Reply #47 on: November 01, 2012, 12:56:12 PM »
"A man has to know his limitations" .....Clint Eastwood.....I rest my case....
Ninjawarrior

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #48 on: November 01, 2012, 12:58:37 PM »
"A man has to know his limitations" .....Clint Eastwood.....I rest my case....

:thumbs:
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #49 on: November 01, 2012, 04:40:26 PM »
I wouldn't be adversed to having more power in the bike, I'm just not sure what I'd do with it.  But I'm only speaking for myself.  Our combative OP may well have a place to use it, we'll just have to take him for his word.

Offline ninjawarrior1400

• "There is no second place winner in a gunfight."
« Reply #50 on: November 01, 2012, 05:24:33 PM »
So what I am hearing from you guys is if Kawasaki comes out next year with the 14r engine in the C-14, no one will buy one because you don't think you need more power, or you are afraid of horsepower....is that what I am hearing here?

So you guys would rather carry a .38 Special rather than a .44 Magnum.....because you don't need the power or are afraid of the recoil......increase in price or higher insurance rates...??
Ninjawarrior

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #51 on: November 01, 2012, 06:05:09 PM »
The C14 has all the HP I need in a bike.  If I'd wanted more I'd be riding a ZX-14 or a something similar.  It fits a niche obviously.  I enjoy having the extra HP it provides as compared to the C10 I rode previously.  As I said previously, if someone wants to soup it up then by all means..  I'm happy the way it is.  Won't buy another one if it has a bigger engine as I don't use what I have now.  Could actually care less if Kwak does something with the engine in the coming years.  I don't have a yearning to get something faster or larger.  I'm happy with it.  I only add farkles that increase the comfort, not the HP.  Possibly the babbling we're hearing on upping the grunt is from owners who've owned faster machines and want that power and more from the C14. I've come from lower HP bikes and to me, this is a Ferrari.  I guess it's all relative/subjective.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #52 on: November 01, 2012, 07:06:42 PM »
44 S&W Special.
I won't replace my '08 til the warranty runs out sometime in 2017. If at that time I have a choice between two HP ratings I'll no doubt opt for the higher of the two all other things being equal.

Offline Cuda

« Reply #53 on: November 01, 2012, 08:31:09 PM »
So what I am hearing from you guys is if Kawasaki comes out next year with the 14r engine in the C-14, no one will buy one because you don't think you need more power, or you are afraid of horsepower....is that what I am hearing here?

So you guys would rather carry a .38 Special rather than a .44 Magnum.....because you don't need the power or are afraid of the recoil......increase in price or higher insurance rates...??

I've posted before that I would sell my 2011 and get a new bike IF they came out with the bigger motor , but after installing all the things that I have I don't believe I would anymore , they would have to make more changes than just the motor, I really don't have a place to use all the  power that I have now with out getting tickets.
I carry a .22 , It's all I'll ever need ;)
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #54 on: November 01, 2012, 08:42:09 PM »

If I was buying a new one I'd go for the more power option if that were a choice, but I wouldn't sell what I already have for one...

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #55 on: November 01, 2012, 08:53:54 PM »

If Kawasaki comes out next year with the 14r engine in the C-14, there is absolutely no way I would sell my 2011 and buy a 2013 model.  That would be a huge financial penalty with no meaningful gain to me.  Even if my bike were 5 or 7 years old, no I probably still would not.

If my bike were old enough (9 or 10?) and wanted to replace it, it wouldn't DETER me from buying it, but it probably wouldn't be a huge plus either.  Like many, I am more than happy with the current C14 power.  What I would be looking for in a new model would be more convenience, comfort, and safety stuff (cruise, better lighting, adjustable seat, GPS, electronic locks on bags and tank, bigger/better displays, more sensors, auto-cancel turn signals, stuff like that).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline pistole

« Reply #56 on: November 01, 2012, 09:40:24 PM »
- imho , more engine is not high on the "must have" list for potential buyers of the C14.

- looking at the trend for sporting tourers coming out in the past year or so , its trending towards a high-tech package , with abs and traction control as standard , audio/nav options , electric windscreen and of course - cruise control.

Offline punkynlew1

« Reply #57 on: November 01, 2012, 09:56:04 PM »

I turboed my C14 and modded it more to be, perhaps, the fastest/quickest ST around, exceed 200 mph and beat a stock '12 ZX14R but a S&W aluminum .38 special Plus P hammerless snubnose is good enough for my defensive concealed carry needs. Later, amigo. Lew in Florida near Ft. Myers (gotta go to Leesburg next week to pick up a bike tow dolly on the way to the drag races at Valdosta, GA). Are you going?

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #58 on: November 01, 2012, 10:46:36 PM »

I'd love it if they did but wouldn't sell and buy new. Just too expensive for me to do that. Maybe in 10 years. I'd love to have the power I feel at sea level when I'm home and over 7000' altitude.

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #59 on: November 01, 2012, 11:08:05 PM »
Simple fact is that Kawasaki knows that the vast majority of sport touring customers that walk through a dealer door wanting a C14 are going to be at least 40 years old and have ridden many other bikes in their lifetime and want a reliable, comfortable, and decently fast bike.

I am one of the younger C14 owners at 31 and have done several things to add power and improve the overall performance of my bike, but 90% of all C14's that I see usually have a slip-on and possibly a couple small comfort farkles......not much more. 

Old crotchety men don't like extra stuff that has the chance of breaking, they are worried enough as it is about their hips and if they remembered to bring their little, blue pills.   ;D
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.