Author Topic: Need help matching OEM screws  (Read 3172 times)

Offline Burbs

• 2009 ABS
Need help matching OEM screws
« on: June 20, 2016, 08:40:59 AM »
In my previous "My bike died again..." thread, I mentioned that I needed to replace some OEM screws for the battery cover and also the screw for the battery cowling. It got lost in that thread therefore I wanted to start this one so I can order the correct parts.

Man of Blues pointed me to this site to order the screws at a better price http://www.mcmaster.com/#socket-head-cap-screws/=12xci4y yet I am struggling to match them to what I need.I'm not mechanically inclined as I mentioned previously, therefore is this the right size?

When I go on BikeBandit or other OEM sites, it looks like the OEM is 8x15 (part#92153H I believe http://www.kawasakipartshouse.com/oemparts/a/kaw/500b58cbf8700223e4796be3/frame-fittings

Looks like I also need part #92153D for the battery cowling which is 6mm but I'm having trouble finding the matching one.

Any help pointing me in the right direction would be great.

Thanks,

-Burbs

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
Re: Need help matching OEM screws
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2016, 11:05:37 AM »
Not saying MOB isn't correct, and that maybe the most economical way to go but it seems that it would take a while to search through McMaster's stuff. If time is no object then keep searching. However to some time is money or another way to look at it, our finite lifetime slipping away. My advice is to just order them by part number from someone reputable like (IMO) Ron Ayers (link below). There are others that are equally reputable some have higher prices and free shipping, some have lower prices and horrendous shipping charges. If you're not mechanically inclined then chances are you are not going to need many parts so there is no need to get familiar with McMaster-Carr's huge catalog. If at some point you become more mechanical then their catalog is definitely your friend and a very valuable resource.

First thing is that the numbers that you've posted are not part numbers, but rather diagram reference numbers. The part numbers will usually have a hyphen in them.

It appears to me that you need one: Diagram Reference 92153D; Part Number  92153-0489; Description BOLT,SOCKET,6MM; cost $1.69
You may need (in my garage they disappear at an alarming rate, once you drop one it vanishes) the plastic washer that goes under that screw part number: 92200-0157 $.95

For the metal cover screws: Diagram reference 92153H; Part Number 92153-1810; Description BOLT,SOCKET,8X15; Cost $1.74

Parts Link Ron Ayers---->http://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/kaw/500b58cbf8700223e4796be3/frame-fittings

Before you put the new screws in, blow out the holes and inspect and the holes with a flash light for damaged threads in the hole, you may need to buy a tap to chase the threads (whole new topic, come back here for more info if needed)

Now if someone (MOB?) wants to look up exactly what you need from McMaster-Carr then just ignore all that I've said.

Best wishes to you.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2016, 12:40:57 PM »
30 seconds worth of time, it took, to get the number...

Worth it....

http://www.mcmaster.com/#92095A260

Or

http://www.mcmaster.com/#91239A418

Its 16mm lg, but it won't matter...

That m6 bolt for the plastic is a weird rebated head bolt, like some other ones on the fairing, but no big deal to put a flat washer under it...if you use a standard hex head bolt...

Shipping from mcmaster is like almost nothing... seriously...

Ron Ayers and other places will run you more for shipping, if they have the part....than the cost of the parts in this case...
I'm serious, if you order from them, and its not in stock, or they don't have them all, you will be waiting...
Mcmaster will have them to you almost overnight, if you call in before 3 p.m.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2016, 02:36:43 PM »
Well it's because you're just that good MOB.   :salute:

Worth it....

Because sooner or later you'll need the other 24 bolts that comes in the 25 pack. :thumbs:

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2016, 03:09:25 PM »
Well it's because you're just that good MOB.   :salute:

Because sooner or later you'll need the other 24 bolts that comes in the 25 pack. :thumbs:

Yer making me blush Marty....
I just used McMaster religiously for the last 30 years, in my engineering job, and know the website well, you do have to know what your looking for, but if they don't have it, its special....
And they really do ship fast....just their normal shipping is fast....

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Burbs

• 2009 ABS
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2016, 03:18:26 PM »
You may need (in my garage they disappear at an alarming rate, once you drop one it vanishes) the plastic washer that goes under that screw part number: 92200-0157 $.95

For the metal cover screws: Diagram reference 92153H; Part Number 92153-1810; Description BOLT,SOCKET,8X15; Cost $1.74

No kidding! I can't tell you how many washers I've lost.

Thanks for helping out fellas, I really appreciate it.

-Burbs
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 03:51:18 PM by Burbs »

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2016, 04:40:42 PM »

Wicked!

Oh and yes, the super-thin, clear washers seem to disappear on me too for some reason.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2016, 08:05:04 PM »
Probably because they are thin and clear...  Thanks to those inscrutable Kwackers engineers, no doubt.  Probably still laughing about that.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.