Author Topic: A new high in political correctness  (Read 9439 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
A new high in political correctness
« on: October 31, 2011, 08:52:53 PM »
Kind of. Not sure if this goes in Open Forum or the Joke Forum but moderators please feel free to move it to wherever it fits best.

I was in a store the other night with my wife and we were picking up a few things. I tend to pay attention and generally scan around as I move through an area and saw a fascinating thing: Lawry's now has a new Seasoned Salt product with reduced sodium. Yep, we've finally succeeded in getting the salt out of.... salt. What a country. Of course this makes me wonder if anyone could possibly compensate by using more to maintain an unhealthy sodium level. Nah, [reduced salt] salt is going to be a big hit.

Like Homer said, one way to look at being fat is: 'I am drought and famine resistant'.

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Kazairl

Re: A new high in political correctness
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 10:36:57 PM »
One of the guys at work brought in some "lite" salt with 50% less sodium. It has a bunch of stuff in it I can't pronounce. He is always bringing it "health" food stuff like that. His latest thing is diatomaceous Earth. The only explanation I can think of, Is that he thinks that if he eats all this "healthy" stuff it will somehow make up for the fact that he weighs 300lbs. I just don't get it.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 10:41:11 PM »
I'll take a number three supersized, and a diet coke ???

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 11:46:05 PM »
Well.... Aside from the last tin of Mortons salt I bought set me back $.29, I don't use salt. And the 'substitutes' are potassium chloride... which doesn't play well with several things.

Take tater chips as an additional example. Taters are supposed to be bad for us, so is the (any) shortening they fry them in, as well and the 'spices' they add to them... even if it's just plain old salt. Fat free, sodium free, organic, free range, good for your heart, grows hair back; chips are on the horizon ;)

Tis all marketing :)

Number three, super-sized, but a regular soda, for me too :)

Rick
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline jim_de_hunter

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 03:22:12 AM »
From Wikipedia:

"Diatomaceous earth consists of fossilized remains of diatoms, a type of hard-shelled algae. It is used as a filtration aid, mild abrasive, mechanical insecticide,[2] absorbent for liquids, cat litter, activator in blood clotting studies, and a stabilizing component of dynamite. As it is also heat-resistant, it can be used as a thermal insulator."

Eeeewuuuu!

2006 ZG1000 "The Blue Monster"

Offline Conrad

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 05:25:11 AM »
One of the guys at work brought in some "lite" salt with 50% less sodium. It has a bunch of stuff in it I can't pronounce. He is always bringing it "health" food stuff like that. His latest thing is diatomaceous Earth. The only explanation I can think of, Is that he thinks that if he eats all this "healthy" stuff it will somehow make up for the fact that he weighs 300lbs. I just don't get it.

What does eating that stuff sposed to do for him? Years ago I had a super duper aquarium filter that used diatoms. It did one heck of a good job cleaning the water but it was a mess to use.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Conrad

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 05:25:48 AM »

You want an apple pie with that order?

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2011, 05:40:59 AM »

That's my usual order.  Something wrong with that now?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Assassin 11B3P

• Arena
  • The C14 is vastly overrated.
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2011, 07:49:42 AM »
the #15 is much better.

BTW, i read somewhere that McD's large shakes all by themselves have over 1,100 calories!
Please use this forum to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data, ability to repeat discredited memes, and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Also, be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor even implied. Any irrelevancies you can mention will also be appreciated.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2011, 07:54:39 AM »
I avoid carbs, and thats to avoid weight gain more-so than health.

I'm a member of PETA (people eating tasty animals) with extra salt, please.

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline alexx45

• 2009 Black C14
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2011, 08:22:15 AM »
Why do most vegatarians look like they are starving?  :o Not the good kind of skinny the most of us wish we could get back to, but the kind if skinny the makes you wonder if they'll survive the impact with the wall that occurs whenever they walk in front of a fan.  ;D
Life is good.... At least from my perspective.
2009 Concours 14
2005 Suzuki Bandit

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2011, 08:37:36 AM »
Oh man stevewfl you are making me HUNGRY! I love thanksgiving dinner and its only 23 days away.

So when I brine the turkey this year should I have KIPASS in close proximity?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2011, 09:05:40 AM »
Why do most vegatarians look like they are starving?  :o Not the good kind of skinny the most of us wish we could get back to, but the kind if skinny the makes you wonder if they'll survive the impact with the wall that occurs whenever they walk in front of a fan.  ;D

Actually, I know at least one vegetarian and he looks 'normal'.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2011, 09:24:13 AM »
the #15 is much better.

BTW, i read somewhere that McD's large shakes all by themselves have over 1,100 calories!

Correction, that's over 1,100 delicious calories.

Chocolate please.

Offline Assassin 11B3P

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2011, 10:05:16 AM »
chocolate is good, but vanilla tastes better from start to finish. they can keep the whipped cream and cherry.

going over to breakfast foods, hardee's makes a good biscuit and gravy platter...McD's has a great maple fruit and maple oatmeal.
Please use this forum to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data, ability to repeat discredited memes, and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Also, be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor even implied. Any irrelevancies you can mention will also be appreciated.

Offline Leo

« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2011, 11:48:50 AM »
We have decided to avoid MSG as a meat additive at our house.  Now I see meats preserved with BHT.  The "T" in that product is TOLULENE!   I did a web serch on the stuff, and the other use for BHT is Imbalming Fluid!   No wonder we are living the most pampered lives of all history and getting life long alments and dying of mysterious causes.   The stinking chinese imported fish is grown in sewage and soaked in antibiotics to make it "safe".  Of course antibiotics are not working on illnesses any more.  I have talked to grocery managers about my concerns, and they just shrug their shoulders and say the purchasing is out of their hands.   I would love to go back to preserving meats with salt. 
Yep, still riding the old one

In Indiana, missing Texas

Offline jim_de_hunter

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2011, 01:45:15 PM »
Oh man stevewfl you are making me HUNGRY! I love thanksgiving dinner and its only 23 days away.

Why wait?  I have a turkey in the oven this very moment!!!!!

2006 ZG1000 "The Blue Monster"

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2011, 07:39:59 PM »

Well, as the pic below shows, I'm not Ahhnuld, but I am not going to blow away anytime soon.  vegetarian for many years now.  Down from 210 last January to about 185 now, this was taken in August.  That's an 8-pound maul I'm using and I've been swinging it all day.

Something to think about: 

Herbivores are generally big and strong animals and tend to have great endurance for long-range travel:  Elephants, cattle (think Brahma bulls), horses, hippopatimus, giraffe, rhinoceros, elk, moose, all the breeds of deer, water buffalo, regular buffalo, the list goes on.

Carnivorous animals are some of the fastest, (necessry to run down prey) but generally give something up in size and stamina:  A cheetah gets one or two tries to bring down a meal, then it's done, same for lioness, jaguar, all the big cats.  Cats are obligate carnivores, though, their bodies need meat for the amino acids, etc., that they can't get by plant-based diet alone.  Exceptions being the larger predators such as bears (omnivorous), sharks, whales, etc., and the larger primates.

The animal kingdom (of which we are members) is pretty well represented by both factions.
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline Assassin 11B3P

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2011, 08:14:25 PM »
how much wood can a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood? :)

@Leo:

i was reading an article about food secrets...one of the things it said is that all of the hamburger patties used in the US is decontaminated using amonia gas! apparently the process is patented so one company is responsible for all of them!

i guess the point is: don't worry about it. :)

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2011, 08:22:16 PM »
Nos,
Cutting the wood, very manly, the pink shirt though??  :-X

:grouphug:   :chugbeer: