Author Topic: Evolution of the food stamp program.  (Read 9496 times)

Offline Snibbor

• Arena
Re: Evolution of the food stamp program.
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2013, 08:04:43 PM »
I guess Bill Gates and Warren Buffet can support the other 300 million of us.  Everybody kick back and relax.

Seriously, there obviously needs to be programs/the so called safety net.  The issue is the people that spend their entire lives on it.  They don't even try to work.
Actually, scratch that, they work pretty hard working the system.  If they put that much effort into an actual job they might do quite well.  We have parents teaching
their children how to "not work".

Offline Toxz Qwaste

• Arena
  • stuff & things
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2013, 06:56:21 AM »
I don't get the impression that any commenters on this thread disagree with providing help to those who need it and deserve it. That's what this nation is(was) about. The overall tone is directed towards those who abuse the system and turn it into a lifestyle and the politicians that enable them for their own benefit, while we, the ever-decreasing producers, pay for it. This system, as currently abused, is going to collapse and burn, then nobody is going to get needed help and most everyone is going to be miserable.
I was at the supermarket recently and watched a momma with 2 kids pay for cart-full-o-stuff with "vouchers". Then watched her load it into a new SUV with a temporary plate (new purchase) on it. These abusers have no shame. Anyone who truly needs help, or does the helping, should be outraged by the blatant abuse that goes unchecked, in fact, encouraged by politicians.   

Offline Leo

« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2013, 07:40:07 AM »
I hear people talk a lot about there being jobs all over, but no body wants to work.  I just came home from an interview for a store manager at a national chain car rental company.  Prior business background and a Bachelors degree was needed. Sounds reasonable for a manager position.

I have 3 associates, a bachelors, and a masters, plus banking experience and prior business experience, both commercial and industrial.   They seemed somewhat pleased to offer me the position.  (They did not ask about my health and I did not mention my condition either)

The salary was $475/week.  Here is the other shoe. They expected me to BE ONSITE for a minimum of 63 hours per week! Plus be available and on call (with a cell phone I have to pay for) 24/7 for that $475 per week. They said they estimated it was more like 52 hours a week because you could drink coffee and watch TV when you were not waiting on customers, but you had to stay on site.  Isn't that like paying a cop only when he responds to a call?   I held my cards close so I could try to reason through it when the shock was over, a few years back I would have been a lot more expressive. 

As I opened the mail there was notice that because of Federal manipulation, my county is re assessing the property taxes.  How much can they squeeze?

I am not making excuses, but I am understanding why people get discouraged.  If that is what I can find, what  can a person without any skills get? 

This is not the first job I have looked at that was unrealistic.    Have I lost touch with reality or has the world gone mad? 
Yep, still riding the old one

In Indiana, missing Texas

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2013, 08:10:07 AM »
Leo, good luck with the job hunt. And yes you are correct about the job situation in this country. Another problem I lay at the feet of government.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2013, 08:32:35 AM »
I hear people talk a lot about there being jobs all over, but no body wants to work.  I just came home from an interview for a store manager at a national chain car rental company.  Prior business background and a Bachelors degree was needed. Sounds reasonable for a manager position.

I have 3 associates, a bachelors, and a masters, plus banking experience and prior business experience, both commercial and industrial.   They seemed somewhat pleased to offer me the position.  (They did not ask about my health and I did not mention my condition either)

The salary was $475/week.  Here is the other shoe. They expected me to BE ONSITE for a minimum of 63 hours per week! Plus be available and on call (with a cell phone I have to pay for) 24/7 for that $475 per week. They said they estimated it was more like 52 hours a week because you could drink coffee and watch TV when you were not waiting on customers, but you had to stay on site.  Isn't that like paying a cop only when he responds to a call?   I held my cards close so I could try to reason through it when the shock was over, a few years back I would have been a lot more expressive. 

As I opened the mail there was notice that because of Federal manipulation, my county is re assessing the property taxes.  How much can they squeeze?

I am not making excuses, but I am understanding why people get discouraged.  If that is what I can find, what  can a person without any skills get? 

This is not the first job I have looked at that was unrealistic.    Have I lost touch with reality or has the world gone mad?

If you need prior business background and a bachelors degree to make $7.53/hour ($475/63 hours), something is indeed wrong. What do the non-managers make? I bet the people that issue the receipt at the car return and drive the cars to be cleaned and readied for another rental make more than that. 10 years ago my son was an over night stocker at WalMart and made twice that.

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2013, 09:16:27 AM »
YOU LIE! Everyone knows WM doesn't pay that kind of money!
Just ask someone who never worked there!
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #46 on: March 27, 2013, 09:44:41 AM »
YOU LIE! Everyone knows WM doesn't pay that kind of money!
Just ask someone who never worked there!

Believe me I've had that discussion many times.  ;)