Author Topic: HID lights causing inference  (Read 4592 times)

Offline Ddfee

• Be the person your dog thinks you are
HID lights causing inference
« on: May 13, 2013, 08:40:40 PM »
I need some info and advice. Months ago I did the A&R HID light install on my C14. Recently my Garmin Street Pilot GPS won't pick up the satellites.  I likewise did the same install on my wife's St1300 with the same results.  To test the Garmins I have taken them off the bikes and used them in my truck.  Both worked as they should. When I placed them back on the bike, they refuse to p/u the satellites.

Both of these units have worked flawlessly since new.  Now since the HID install, problems have surfaced. I have done some research online and some truck and car forums have discussed some radio interference problems due to the HIDs.

Is it possible that due to the close proximity of the HID ballast to the GPS mounting at the front of the bike, that the HID are causing interference?

I am hoping that one of the forum members has electronic experience that they can shed some light (no pun intended). I love the HIDs but need my GPS more.

Thoughts and input needed.

Thx

Dave
2011 C14
2003 Honda GL 1800
2000 Honda Blackbird
IBA Member

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: HID lights causing inference
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 09:32:58 PM »
I have A&R HID.  No problem with my Garmin Zumo at all.  HID ballasts can cause significant RFI, however.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 09:49:29 PM »
I have the A&R HID kit and Zumo 660 and haven't had any issues either...  :-\

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 03:46:11 AM »
I have the A&R HID light as well, but use my phone as my GPS. No issues sither.

I'd suggest placing some foil shielding in areas between the HID ballast and the GPS.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 03:38:29 AM by The Pope »
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline Richard. Wales UK

• 2010 1400 GTR trike.
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 04:48:10 AM »
Hi

As said above the HID power supplies can throw a lot of RF (Radio Frequency) interference out, and this could be travelling directly to the GPS unit or getting to it down the supply cables or both!

You need to try and find out how it is getting there

Several things you can try:
If you are running the GPS from the bike 12v the interference may be travelling down the supply cables, try running it from its own internal battery and see if the problem is still there?
If it has gone this will have confirmed how the interference is getting to the GPS, then you could try running a feed for the GPS unit directly to the battery (via a fuse), keep the wires as far away from the HID units and wiring as is practical.

If it is still there when the GPS is running on its own battery then try: -

Screen the HID power supply units and the wires between them and the bulbs.
 For the wires you can cut strips of foil and wrap them around, overlapping each turn in a spiral so the wires are totally enclosed and connect one end of the foil to chassis.
 For the power supplies wrapping them up may cause them to overheat, ok for a short test maybe and if this stops the problem then maybe spray them with
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/shielding-aerosols/7259987/
 which will screen them without causing them to overheat.

Another option is to try an external antenna for the GPS and put it on the back of the bike

Richard

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2013, 05:41:07 AM »
All excellent suggestions from Richard.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Conrad

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2013, 08:53:02 AM »
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Richard. Wales UK

• 2010 1400 GTR trike.
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2013, 03:40:10 AM »

Hi Dave

Did you trace the problem?

Offline Ddfee

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2013, 06:12:42 PM »
Nope still problems. I read the LED issues and the transponders...I have Led and Hid lights. Because I like gadgets, it's time for a new GPS and I have run out of options I have bought a new Zumo 350. I hoping that perhaps the newer models (my old GPS is a Garmin Street pilot) have better or more advanced circuitry....we will see, should be in the mail this week.

Dave
2011 C14
2003 Honda GL 1800
2000 Honda Blackbird
IBA Member

Offline Ddfee

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2013, 11:30:49 PM »
Ok, zumo 350lm installed, works flawlessly, maybe newer technology is more resistant to interference...it was time to update my aging street pilot anyways.

D
2011 C14
2003 Honda GL 1800
2000 Honda Blackbird
IBA Member

Offline wroman

• 2012 C14
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2013, 06:45:43 PM »
Ground the ballasts. Run a ground wire from the cases of the ballast to chassis ground.  I hope the ballast assembly's of metal.
I always wanted to be somebody......I guess I should have been more specific.