Author Topic: Motor heat  (Read 2453 times)

Offline Robo3

Motor heat
« on: September 10, 2021, 09:42:27 PM »
I have a 1996 Kawasaki Concours zg1000 and I am wondering why the motor gives off so much heat and is there anything I can do so my legs aren't getting cooked while riding???

Offline m in sc

• Polluting Rockhill with 2 strokes for decades.
    • 2 stroke world
Re: Motor heat
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2021, 06:27:29 AM »
both of mine were almost unbearable until i re-affixed the air deflector that sits between the radiator and valve cover. look there. 
I break and fix stuff.  No more concours's in the stables. see you guys around...

Offline Stasch

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2021, 04:55:13 AM »
'm in nc' - great point.  A few of us did an informal 'C10 look around' survey in Eureka Springs.  More than half did not have that deflector correctly positioned.  It does make a difference.

Wearing riding pants is actually cooler on the lower legs in hot weather than riding without.  The biggest thing help for me is mesh riding pants lined with potholder material sewn in at the shins to serve as a heat blocker.  Works very well.  (Thank you dear wifey!)

Another help is wind wings.  While higher up than your shins, bringing that cooler air into the mix does help.  They also work great to mitigate cockpit heat and cold in various temps.

Note 'Brian's Heat Shields' in the 2nd pic.  They are no longer in production.  Some riders have used those and say they make a nice difference. 

I had them but they didn't make a significant difference to the shin area down by the air scoops.  I also missed the ability to allow the heat in the colder Michigan riding seasons which the shields didn't allow.

Stan Visser - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - > C10 STUFF FOR SALE - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2021, 07:46:32 AM »
I agree. the piece that sets on top of the valve cover is a must..I had 2 Connies and one was noticeably hotter. The difference was that deflector.
Additionally;
In Stasch's 2nd photo you can see the black stock wings mounted correctly. They draw in outside air and direct it over your legs. Are yours mounted correctly?

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2021, 09:41:00 AM »
OK, I'll bite, explain, maybe also show, the correct position of the valve cover deflector.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline m in sc

• 2 stroke world
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2021, 09:53:41 AM »
needs to be locked into the tabs above the radiator. these usually get broken and it moves. the other end of it , at least on mine, are in front of the valve cover and held in by tension against is.

mine were broken, on both bikes. I used a 90 degree peice of alum angle to hold the tabs against the radiator top, and its been good for 4+ yrs like this.

I break and fix stuff.  No more concours's in the stables. see you guys around...

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2021, 12:40:43 PM »
OK, thanks, will check mine tomorrow, the heat never bothered me so it must be in place. I did notice big heat when I temporarily ran water only for a few weeks after my coolant hose busted at the national. Lower temps, bigger heat, they say it's science. Thanks.

Offline m in sc

• 2 stroke world
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2021, 08:46:55 PM »
well, i may have described it incorrectly (or this one may be in wrong in regards to the VC.. would have to look at the 99 to be sure and its across town at another garage i have). here it is on the naked 2000 model, its on top of the VC on this one. pretty sure it's supposed to be in front of it. either way, if its loose, it needs to be addressed.

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2021, 01:30:15 AM »
Yes, it should contact the engine just below the valve cover and fits onto the 2 rubber covered protrusions on the radiator shown below.
I removed mine years ago as riding through the UK winter I needed all the heat I could get. I even blocked off the fairing upper vents in search of warmth.
I need to refit mine as I rarely ride in the winter now.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline m in sc

• 2 stroke world
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2021, 06:35:50 AM »
that's what i thought. On the naked one i have in pic it really doesn't matter, but on the 99 w/the fairing its def in front of the valve cover, checked it out yesterday when i was at my other place.

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2021, 10:46:52 AM »
I reached up from the front of the motor and onto the top of the radiator and pulled mine forward back onto the two tabs on the top of the radiator, and it snapped back in place, it must have fallen off with all the work I've been doing to it.

Offline m in sc

• 2 stroke world
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2021, 12:23:39 PM »
keep an eye on it. i did that with my 99 and it fell down again after a ride or 2. then i made that bracket and its been fine ever since. glad you found it though.

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2021, 01:46:49 PM »
OK, only with your help I did, thanks.