Author Topic: Stolen helmets  (Read 2883 times)

not2old

Stolen helmets
« on: June 14, 2011, 08:28:24 PM »
How much do you guys worry about having your helmet stolen?  Do you always lock them or put them in your sidecase?  I can't imagine anyone stealing a
helmet - god knows what might be living in there.  But, I guess it does happen.

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
Re: Stolen helmets
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 08:45:09 PM »
Depends on whether I'm wearing one of the older/cheaper lids or the mostly-still-new and pricey one. In general I don't worry much about this and usually carry it with me --- makes for a convenient shopping basket and general stuff holder.

I've had one bike stolen, never a helmet.

Offline Pfloydgad

• When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 08:48:21 PM »
I have been wearing the HJC series helmets for quite a while. There are 2 very simple reasons for this. 1
1. Thye make a big enough shell to fit my mellon.
2. They make removable liners that can be washed / sterilized / replaced.
Trust me, I am the only person on the planet that would want to even touch my helmet.
I wash my liners sometimes nightly, depending on the temps of that days ride.
But I also got used to putting on my football helmet on, regardless of its odor.
Oh yea, I have no problem setting my helmet on the bike, none stolen in 38 yrs, so far.
Ride safe all.
Greg
Why did we have to run for cover with the promise of a brave new world unfold beneath the clear blue sky ?

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 08:50:04 PM »
I have never worried about it.......and most where I live don't wear them anyways. ;)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline jim_de_hunter

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 09:26:24 PM »
Smarta$$es used to cut the straps when you left them hanging on the helmet lock.  Rendered it useless.  I've locked mine in the luggage or carried it with me when I didn't have bags.

2006 ZG1000 "The Blue Monster"

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 11:39:14 PM »
On the rare occasions I don't have room for my Shoei RF-1000 in the luggage, I take it with me.  No way I'm going to donate a $380 hat to some jack-a$$ who thinks he has a better use for it.
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 10:52:07 AM »
I always lock mine on the Buck lock extenders, never had one stolen or messed with.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, 10:58:51 AM »
I just park my bike next to a gaggle of Harleys.  I know it will be safe when I return; just dont leave your 'dew-rag' on your bike  :o
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2011, 11:07:02 AM »
Chris, when I do this, I come back out to my bike, and they have all moved them away from mine. Honest, this happens all the time, so now, I purposely and quietly putt up to a whole parked group of them and find a spot in the middle, and then watch the ballet as the word spreads and they all come out to move their bikes, I've had a few say some things to me about my bike, my parentage and a few other things that can't be reprinted here. 
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2011, 03:43:03 PM »
I'm slightly paranoid about having my helmet stolen, since it can really put me in a bad situation if I'm out in some remote area with no motorcycle shops around to replace it.  I normally lock it in a side case if I don't carry it in with me.  I very rarely leave it on the bike when I go in a store for a short period of time.

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2011, 08:01:57 PM »
I'm slightly paranoid about having my helmet stolen, since it can really put me in a bad situation if I'm out in some remote area with no motorcycle shops around to replace it.  I normally lock it in a side case if I don't carry it in with me.  I very rarely leave it on the bike when I go in a store for a short period of time.

Stop being so paranoid. Helmets are easy to find. WallyWorld has cheap buckets that would get you home (and once home, you trash 'em and buy a good one).

Offline Jaxter

• Blue might not be fastest, but it's my favorite
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2011, 08:13:52 PM »
back in the 60's and I was 16 on my first motorcycle I left the helmet I was wearing on my sissy bar and when I came out of the store it was gone...it was a world war II german helmet...pretty naive of me to leave it out, I was young and trusted everyone then...now I never leave my helmet, I carry it with me, or lock it in my bag.
I've Never Had A Better Day