Author Topic: Shaving.... like a man  (Read 29279 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: Shaving.... like a man
« Reply #60 on: November 21, 2013, 09:57:38 PM »
By the way, the Art of Shaving are very expensive, boutique and top end mall stores. A chain actually. They sell $100 razors for $250. Not bad stores, just a bit overpriced and understocked. That said, they are without doubt the best chance most people have of actually seeing / handling a lot of shaving hardware and software (soap, pre- shave oil, post shave balms, etc.) in the flesh.

Brian

<snip>

http://www.theartofshaving.com
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #61 on: November 21, 2013, 10:12:56 PM »
How close does a DE get it done?

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #62 on: November 22, 2013, 05:29:53 AM »
With a sharp blade (Feather blade) and going against the grain (direction of the hair growth), it will cut the hair below the skin line. Just like a straight. So will a cartridge but it takes some pressure and a lot of passes.

I shave at night and the next morning my face is still free of hair (around the beard of course). By end of business, I have a bit of stubble I can feel but it is not visible.

A DE razor really was a fine, slick invention. It made Gillette, both the man and the company, a lot of money. And it provided a very affordable way for everyone to shave him / her self quickly and easily. Modern cartridge razors have improvements but they do not work any better, perhaps not as well, and the reason they exist was to drive the price of the commodity up. There is not much profit to be had from a stamped piece of steel made by the millions (DE blade) but cartridges sell for dollars, not pennies.

Brian

How close does a DE get it done?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #63 on: November 22, 2013, 06:28:38 AM »
I know that we used to have a DE razor at home (same home I grew up in). I didn't think it was thrown away. I will have to look and see if we still have it.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #64 on: November 22, 2013, 06:40:13 AM »
Brand new Merkurs are about $40 or so, or $60 for the Progress adjustable which is what I prefer (I have both). They look like this: http://www.royalshave.com/p/401-024-00/merkur-progress-adjustable-safety-razor.html?gclid=COeg9PbA-LoCFU7ZQgodOlYANg

Slip one of these in that (easy boys!) http://store.mensroombarbershop.com/feather-hi-stainless-platinum-double-edge-razor-blades/  and you have yourself a hair removal juggernaut.   So effective you do not actually have to touch your face with the razor- the hair will give up and jump off your face when it sees that combo. coming.

Get a tub of this stuff and you won't be able to strop 'fasturbating' when you are done:  http://www.smallflower.com/taylor-of-old-bond-street/sandalwood-shaving-cream-bowl-150g-shave-cream-10064748

My wife told me a while back 'you make the bathroom smell good'; I never thought I would hear that in this lifetime....

Brian

I know that we used to have a DE razor at home (same home I grew up in). I didn't think it was thrown away. I will have to look and see if we still have it.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #65 on: November 22, 2013, 08:12:22 AM »

My wife told me a while back 'you make the bathroom smell good'; I never thought I would hear that in this lifetime....

Brian

Certainly never heard it mine so far... :rotflmao:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #66 on: November 22, 2013, 09:15:19 AM »
My dogs think I make the bathroom smell good ::)

Offline Conrad

« Reply #67 on: November 22, 2013, 09:17:05 AM »
My dogs think I make the bathroom smell good ::)

Mine do too. They all seem to want to join me when I head in that direction.  :o
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #68 on: November 22, 2013, 09:44:02 AM »
Yep, this thread is going right down the.... well, you know.

Brian

Mine do too. They all seem to want to join me when I head in that direction.  :o

Son of Pappy

« Reply #69 on: November 22, 2013, 09:53:53 AM »
Yep, this thread is going right down the.... well, you know.

Brian
King and Harley had good things to say about you as well.  Almost foreign smelling, yet familiar  ;)

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #70 on: November 22, 2013, 10:58:43 AM »
Hey, dem dogs gots good taste! Well, other than.... you know, they can't help who they live with, right? Do they (and your corner of WA) still smell like gasoline or is that starting to dissipate?

Dogs love me- if I am in a group of 10 people, dogs will invariably work their way over to me and stay put. It is like some kind of sixth sense, something out of reach to humans. Either that or the bag of dog treats I always carry and pass out. Nah, sixth sense for sure.

And one Great Dane was quite taken by Mr. Elkhoof as he was walking (lumbering) by the back of my bike- the dog was so tall that he could sniff the hoof with all four feet on the ground (the dog's feet, I don't have all four elk feet).

Brian

King and Harley had good things to say about you as well.  Almost foreign smelling, yet familiar  ;)

Son of Pappy

« Reply #71 on: November 22, 2013, 11:11:55 AM »
I think I will make a set of elk antler scales for my soon to be delivered razor.  I can use a bit of the hoof to form up a nice brush ;D

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #72 on: November 22, 2013, 11:59:20 AM »
Yeah, always a great way to spend a few minutes....

There is a gentleman named Mark, I believe in PA and he is a wood carver by profession. But he also restores straights as well as making new razors. To the best of my knowledge, he does not sell any of them but has a collection of such customs numbering over 200 now. A truly remarkable craftsman.

Who would not want to shave with this:

Note the taillight and fin carved in the end:

And of course, one needs to lather up in style before whipping out that razor:

Same guy, had a few minutes to spare and two slabs of ivory (real ivory):

Brian

I think I will make a set of elk antler scales for my soon to be delivered razor.  I can use a bit of the hoof to form up a nice brush ;D
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 12:34:43 PM by B.D.F. »

Offline Conrad

« Reply #73 on: November 22, 2013, 12:57:30 PM »
snip...

Dogs love me- if I am in a group of 10 people, dogs will invariably work their way over to me and stay put. It is like some kind of sixth sense, something out of reach to humans. Either that or the bag of dog treats I always carry and pass out. Nah, sixth sense for sure.

Brian

Reminds me of this quote.

Keeping on subject.

Bugs Bunny Barber
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline PH14

« Reply #74 on: November 22, 2013, 03:04:53 PM »
Yeah, always a great way to spend a few minutes....

There is a gentleman named Mark, I believe in PA and he is a wood carver by profession. But he also restores straights as well as making new razors. To the best of my knowledge, he does not sell any of them but has a collection of such customs numbering over 200 now. A truly remarkable craftsman.

Who would not want to shave with this:

[

Same guy, had a few minutes to spare and two slabs of ivory (real ivory):

Those are beautiful.

Offline PH14

« Reply #75 on: November 22, 2013, 03:07:59 PM »
BTW I got a Duluth Trading catalog in the mail and was looking at it today. They actually sell a straight razor and a razor strop. I thought it was funny I saw that the day after reading this thread.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #76 on: November 22, 2013, 03:54:40 PM »
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #77 on: November 22, 2013, 08:29:22 PM »
Blade is in.  Pics to follow.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #78 on: November 22, 2013, 09:15:35 PM »
Blade is in.... where? Be careful where you put that thing!

Which reminds me- you guys getting used razors in might want to look into something like Barbicide- guaranteed (virtually) to kill the cooties. Now the stuff you'd normally be ascairt of like, say, H.I.V. and Hepatitis C, why dem dare things is weak viruses and cannot survive for more than four days outside a host (like us, or the cat or something warm and living). So the trip to you probably killed all of that stuff. The funny thing here is the [not quite so bad] things can survive for a long time- like centuries, and they are spores of various strains. Maybe not so directly lethal but hey, who wants a 100 year old strain of tuburculous, right?

Some people use Scrubbing Bubbles and claim it is just as good as Barbicde but I spent the big bucks (about $6) and bought the real stuff. It dilutes down so much that you could make a bathtub full of the recommended mix in the bathtub with the pint or so you buy. I keep mine in a long, low Tupperware container (too cheap to buy the real Barbicide bell jar with the cool dipping stand inside it) and everything that comes or goes to or from this house gets a 10 minute bath.

Fore warned is fore armed and I just wanted to pass that along. One can buy the stuff in any barber supply or beauty salon supply house; I got mine at Sally's.

Brian

Blade is in.  Pics to follow.

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #79 on: November 22, 2013, 09:42:32 PM »
How sharp is your blade? This video might help give you an idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UF-ayPofWpY