Author Topic: Saddlebag repair  (Read 3242 times)

Offline Feo

Saddlebag repair
« on: June 05, 2011, 07:07:42 AM »
Apparently my google-fu is weak.

I have a crack on the back side of my right bag, caused by putting it under the tipover bar while my rear tire was flat. (Bike was too low to stand on sidestand, and too heavily loaded to even think about the centerstand.)

I could just seal it from water intrusion with RTV, but I'd like to do something more structural in nature. I thought about drilling the ends of the crack to relieve the stress, and glueing with an appropriate glue.

But what is an appropriate glue? Are the bags ABS? The crack hasn't gotten any larger in a couple thousand miles, but with my luck, it'd decide to grow while I'm on a fairly long trip.  ;D

Any thoughts?

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
Re: Saddlebag repair
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2011, 08:16:55 AM »
The saddle bags are not ABS while the painted cowling parts are indeed ABS.... The bags are made of some slippery poly (?) type plastic.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline elvin315

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2011, 11:17:05 AM »
Our archived posts are gone but most of the FAQs survived including the one Re: bodywork that covers the "black plastic".

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=659.0

Offline Bob Young

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011, 09:20:02 PM »
 ;)

I've repaired a "major" abrasion on the left bag (crash; bike slid down asphalt on left side) with Plati-fix from Ace Hardware Chain. Have 5K on bag and no leaks. Not real pretty, but functional. I need to re-shape the damaged area better and will use the stuff ( may not be Plasti-fix, but a generic epoxy that Ace sells).

HTH,
Bob Young

Offline Feo

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 06:23:29 AM »
Thanks for the info.

I'll cruise the hardware store later this week.

Offline bbroj

• To be determined...
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 07:00:00 AM »
I haven't used it on the bike as the need has not arisen (knocking on wood...), but I like JB Weld and have used it on several plastic as well as steel and aluminum repairs. It mixes easily, is strong and flows a little to smooth itself out and is sandable, shapeable and paintable. If you get the JB Quick, it sets in a few minutes and cures in 10.
'12 C-14, Vance and Hines CS One muffler, lowered pegs, tank bra, bar risers, Phil's Farkles rack with Givi V46 top box, fender extender, Bucks tail brights, Canyon Cages and much more to come!
COG 9331
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=1302;type=avatar&time=1422479190