Author Topic: Toll tag mounting  (Read 6712 times)

Offline wally_games

• Arena
Toll tag mounting
« on: February 08, 2014, 04:47:19 PM »
Ok, guys. With all the toll roads going up in the DFW area and the fact that the airport is switching to toll tag pay, I picked up NTTA toll tags for my cars. Since they'll send you three tags on one account, I had one registered to my Connie.

How do most people mount their toll tags? They're supposed to be permanently mounted, but I don't see that being a very good option. I was thinking about putting it between two pieces of plastic and mounting it to a Ram Ball. That way I could take it off the bike when it's parked and not worry about it disappearing.
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Toll tag mounting
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 04:50:38 PM »
I've got a ram mount for my EZPass.  Fits on the bars.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline adrexco

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 06:20:56 PM »
From what  I understand the best place to mount it is in the side case on the angled section facing forward and up. Use the Velcro to stick it on just like on a windshield. The plastic of the side case is easier to transmit through then a windshield. C14 riders who have done this report 100% success. Plus then it's protected from the elements and theft.

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2014, 07:55:24 PM »
The new Kawasaki Concours tank bag has a clear compartment for GPS, or transponders.  You might check Kawasaki's website and see if it is for you.  The best price I found was over at ronayers.com
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Son of Pappy

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2014, 08:01:55 PM »
Back when WA State first started this they had a standard brick for everything.  Since then they have gone to a small, almost invisible sticker for the headlight.  I mounted the brick under the upper left fairing cover, worked good.

Offline 2talltim

• 2008 C14
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2014, 11:07:41 AM »
I also need to do this, i might be doing a Iron Butt ride out to South Dakota in June and they would like everyone to have EZPASS for I80

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2014, 11:10:23 AM »
Best check on what states use EZPASS or any other transponder.  I can tell you that FL doesn't use EZPASS as of last August.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-ZPass

EZPASS only goes as far west as Illinois.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline 2talltim

• 2008 C14
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2014, 02:57:57 PM »
Best check on what states use EZPASS or any other transponder.  I can tell you that FL doesn't use EZPASS as of last August.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-ZPass

EZPASS only goes as far west as Illinois.

OH, IN, ILL i believe are the only states we need it in

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2014, 04:11:26 PM »
EZ Pass (or any transponder toll system of another name) is the best thing to hit IBA riding since the yellow line. It really works well and hugely reduces the waste of time at tolls.

I have used EZ Pass on all toll roads on I-80 / I-90 between the coasts and it worked everywhere I happened to travel. The names of the systems change but the functionality is the same and they recognize the transponders of different 'families'. Sort of like ATM's- they are all pretty much interchangeable now but it was not always that way.

Brian

I also need to do this, i might be doing a Iron Butt ride out to South Dakota in June and they would like everyone to have EZPASS for I80
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2014, 05:24:52 PM »
FL USES THE "Sun Pass"....    8)
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2014, 06:42:32 PM »
Wow, like an island, huh? Sun Pass is just working on their first interchange with North Carolina- I guess someone failed to note that both Georgia and South Carolina are in the way?

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2013-06-28/news/fl-sunpass-ezpass-20130628_1_toll-road-toll-plaza-toll-booths

Say, do dem dare Sun Pass thingies have a lot of hanging chads? <grinnin', duckin' and runnin'>

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2014, 08:08:01 PM »

Bit me in the a*s..

I thought I read somewhere that ezpass was accepted.  Went on my merry way through untold toll booths around Orlando...  Figured out it didn't work after an alarm or two...  Caught up with me in September..

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2014, 09:37:07 PM »
Colorado discontinued the 4"x4"x1/2" transponder and went with a windshield stick on RFID. For some reason they use a different one for a bike then for a car. On a car you just stick it to the inside of the windshield in the upper left corner. But for the bike it is light powered and must be put just below your headlight. No idea why a car can just be powered by the tiny built in antenna but not on the bike.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2014, 10:01:56 AM »
Colorado discontinued the 4"x4"x1/2" transponder and went with a windshield stick on RFID. For some reason they use a different one for a bike then for a car. On a car you just stick it to the inside of the windshield in the upper left corner. But for the bike it is light powered and must be put just below your headlight. No idea why a car can just be powered by the tiny built in antenna but not on the bike.
Everyone knows a biker would never place a sticker on the windshield, wrecks the bling factor and "Hogs" up precious space for all the bar advertisements ;)

I like the headlight sticker, almost invisible and trust me, impossible to get off in one piece.  The car stickers I have had luck getting off in one piece.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2014, 12:13:32 PM »
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline 2talltim

• 2008 C14
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2014, 02:53:12 PM »
Bit me in the a*s..

I thought I read somewhere that ezpass was accepted.  Went on my merry way through untold toll booths around Orlando...  Figured out it didn't work after an alarm or two...  Caught up with me in September..

Ouch i could only imagine, my parents borrowed my Tahoe to go to New York in and dad blew a toll booth(said he was in the wrong lane) it was a $1.50 toll and they send me mail with a picture of my truck and the license plate and a fine of $25 plus the $1.50 toll and a $3 processing fee for $29.50 total. I couldn't imagine getting nailed for several of them....OUCH!!!!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2014, 03:19:47 PM »
Not that bad in FL. thank goodness.  Every one I missed was $4 and something...

Offline Necron99

• Arena
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2014, 04:10:39 PM »
I don't mount my NTTA thing on my concours.  They have cameras.  There isn't currently a price difference between if they scan the badge or process the license plate.
Do not go gentle into that good night.
-Dylan Thomas

2010 ZG1400 COG #9384

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2014, 04:16:08 PM »
Ouch i could only imagine, my parents borrowed my Tahoe to go to New York in and dad blew a toll booth(said he was in the wrong lane) it was a $1.50 toll and they send me mail with a picture of my truck and the license plate and a fine of $25 plus the $1.50 toll and a $3 processing fee for $29.50 total. I couldn't imagine getting nailed for several of them....OUCH!!!!
IF whoever blows the tollbooth tells you about it in time, you can contact EZPass and they just bill you for the toll.  (Or at least it used to work that way - maybe they'll still add the "processing fee")

My teenage daughter did the same thing to me...  I still can't comprehend how she missed the trailer truck sized signs on the Garden State Parkway that said "EZ-Pass ONLY"...  ::)

She now has her own EZ-Pass account.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline Tremainiac

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2014, 05:36:13 PM »
I put my ezpass in the tank compartment on my 09.
Works fine as long as you have it correct side up.
Hey mister, my sister has a Harley 'just' like yours!!
2009 Concours 14, 2003 Triumph Thunderbird Sport
1980 Honda CM400 street tracker, Grubee Skyhawk