Author Topic: Spam Hell  (Read 1336 times)

Offline greenie

• Arena
Spam Hell
« on: January 06, 2021, 02:14:56 PM »
My webmail email account I've had for almost 20 years gets between 20-50 spam emails daily despite having filters on maximum. The spam themes run in cycles - internet security like McAfee lately - lots of congratulations for winning something, lots of junk from Walgreens, Lowes, and Home Depot.  I add each one to a spam list but the spammers use a address each time.
I've always used an AOL account for purchases other than EBay and Amazon and most other internet contacts - that account is relatively clear of spam.
Anyone have any suggestions? New email account?

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
  • 2001 Concours, ~35K miles
Re: Spam Hell
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2021, 02:25:47 PM »
Who's your email provider? I would say get a new email address because these are going to keep coming. If you want to keep your old address, one trick that may work is fwd current emails to a new email address with a new provider with stronger spam protection. The new provider may catch the spam. Doesn't always work though.

Offline greenie

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2021, 02:44:38 PM »
I heard Outlook has good detection - I could forward to Outlook, I'll give it a try.

Thanks!

Offline greenie

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2021, 07:32:20 AM »
Forwarding to an Outlook account works well. Somehow Webmail can't weed out obvious spam.

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2021, 08:32:25 AM »
I used to have the email address Boomer at GTR1000.com but had to get rid of it as I was getting so much spam that it was filling my mailbox allowance in under 5 days. I may be able to reinstate it now as the address I replaced it with BFG at GTR1000.com hasn't received anywhere near as much spam and it's been over 10 years since the Boomer account got shutdown.
The company that hosts my domains now has a pretty good spam filter and keeps it well under control, but back then I was often deleting 1000+ spam emails per day. Now I get maybe 2-3 per week that get through the filters.
I have a few webmail accounts but they don't seem to suffer from it so much.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline greenie

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2021, 12:06:44 PM »
1,000 spam emails a day? Holy cow!  And here I was crabbing about 50.

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2021, 04:22:10 PM »
I  have been using spamarrest for several years. It costs about  40 or 50 a year if I recall but is worth it in my opinion.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2021, 04:39:03 AM »
I use gmail and it's very rare that I get what I would call unsolicited 'spam'.  You know the emails from Nigerian princes and the like.  I get a bit more from Yahoo so I'm thinking at least for me gmail does a better job.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2021, 05:52:16 PM »
I have to manage our Email at work, among 1,000,000 other things.  Spam is a never ending PITA.  I have all kinds of banlists, greylisting, RBL lists, etc, etc.  We block something like 90% of all incoming mail BEFORE it is delivered (blocked at the SMTP negotiation in Postfix).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2021, 05:50:55 AM »
Glad to see that you made it back!   We're using Mimecast at work that seems to catch the blatant spams.  I still get at least one a day now that I have to block.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2021, 07:26:45 AM »
I manage the mail accounts for our club and the server uses spamassasin. I think it works too well and we are missing a lot of messages. Ive tried to reconfigure it with noo luck. Anybody familar with  Apache SpamAssassin?

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2021, 07:31:55 AM »
I use outlook too and get very little spam, but I'm not as active as others and don't really buy anything online, plus, I have different identities for different things I do online such as, purchases, very rare, are a separate address, family, a separate one too, not sure if that makes a difference though. 

COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2021, 05:06:01 PM »
I manage the mail accounts for our club and the server uses spamassasin. I think it works too well and we are missing a lot of messages. Ive tried to reconfigure it with noo luck. Anybody familar with  Apache SpamAssassin?

I can't help with that, because we attempt to do all our blocking before delivery.  SpamAssassin, I believe, is [mostly] a post-delivery tool that "rates" delivered mail based on a variety of filters and criteria, assigning a spam "score."  You can then decide to pass the Email along to the user with that score, or redirect it to nowhere if the score is too bad.  It is a complex system that, if not setup and maintained well, will, indeed, create chaos.  It is especially unpredictable when using bayesian and key-word filters.

Email really is a nightmare to admin now, and has been for over a decade.  This is why so many companies and organizations and even ISPs just give up and allow "professional" third-parties to manage their Email.  And that is also how such organizations now have access to all your data and can manipulate what you are "allowed" to send or receive.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline greenie

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2021, 07:49:30 PM »
It really shouldn't be that hard - most of the spam I get comes from email addresses with a long series of numbers and letters. I can spot them easily - why can't a program spot them?
Webmail (which is my primary email) for the last couple of days sent spam to the spam folder with precision - 150 yesterday alone but it's doubtful it will continue - it never does. This email is provided by my dsl provider. My throwaway email is AOL which I've had since 1995. AOL does a respectable job sorting out the spam. Outlook has done well - it intelligently sorts out spam but the forwarding is a PITA.
Spam email and telemarketer scams would stop if people weren't so darned stoopid in falling for these tricks.

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2021, 04:34:42 AM »
Spam email and telemarketer scams would stop if people weren't so darned stoopid in falling for these tricks.
You can't fix stupid, at least not legally.  :rotflmao:
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2021, 06:46:07 AM »
I can't help with that, because we attempt to do all our blocking before delivery.  SpamAssassin, I believe, is [mostly] a post-delivery tool that "rates" delivered mail based on a variety of filters and criteria, assigning a spam "score."  You can then decide to pass the Email along to the user with that score, or redirect it to nowhere if the score is too bad.  It is a complex system that, if not setup and maintained well, will, indeed, create chaos.  It is especially unpredictable when using bayesian and key-word filters.

Email really is a nightmare to admin now, and has been for over a decade.  This is why so many companies and organizations and even ISPs just give up and allow "professional" third-parties to manage their Email.  And that is also how such organizations now have access to all your data and can manipulate what you are "allowed" to send or receive.
I appreciate that info on SpamAssassin.  It is incorporated in cPanel, our server management software and documentation is sorely lacking. I have access to the scoring system but it includes a couple hundred rules, only half a dozen of which make any sense to me.  I tried raising the score threshold to the least aggressive but that had no effect. It does have a white list and that works for me  but that will be a pia to implement for all our other users. 

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2021, 07:25:30 AM »
It does have a white list and that works for me  but that will be a pia to implement for all our other users.

Yep, we have an elaborate whitelist.  There is no way around it, since we block big third-party marketing sites, like salesforce, constantcontact, hubspot, etc.  99% of their stuff is marketing spam.  But some legit companies still decide to use those sites to send legit mail.  So I have to find those and whitelist them, if I can.  It takes significant time.

The problem is that it costs senders essentially $0 to send out billions of crap messages a day.  And every company thinks it is their "right" to send you whatever crap they want, and as often as they want, just because you gave them your Email address to purchase something or to access some site.  And they try to justify their crap by calling them  "surveys" and "followup" and "newsletters."  And they try to intentionally circumvent blocking by registering lots of different variations of their domain names for their mail servers.  Oh, and despite their claims, they offer and sell lists from one purpose to others for other purposes.

ConstantContact even had the gall to send a US mail letter to my CEO, explaining why we shouldn't block their important messages to our business.  He laughed.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2021, 07:32:28 AM »
Webmail (which is my primary email) for the last couple of days sent spam to the spam folder with precision - 150 yesterday alone but it's doubtful it will continue - it never does. This email is provided by my dsl provider. My throwaway email is AOL which I've had since 1995. AOL does a respectable job sorting out the spam. Outlook has done well - it intelligently sorts out spam but the forwarding is a PITA.

One problem is that you don't know what is being blocked that you NEVER see.  I have first-hand proof that legit, personal Email from me, sent from a first-party, has been blocked without delivery, going to major sites like Google, Outlook, etc.  The sending domain wasn't on any blocklist (I checked), and the person I was sending to knows me, and wanted the Email.  The receiving SITE just didn't like the content.  It is part of the reality now; as we hand the keys of communication to large tech companies, they have the power to censor whatever THEY don't like.  Of course, that is a another topic entirely...