Author Topic: bent the front rim  (Read 8182 times)

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
bent the front rim
« on: September 21, 2011, 02:11:19 PM »
Softball sized rock with sharp edges, I didn't even see it. Through me out of the saddle, landed with a big tank slapper. Red light, low pressure, Front Tire 0 psi. Rode it home 5 miles at about 12 mph, anything faster and the tank slapper threat. Looking for a wheel!
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Son of Pappy

Re: bent the front rim
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 02:13:09 PM »
Bummer, but glad you made it home on a seat and not a stretcher!

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 02:17:08 PM »
I assume you are <more or less> OK if you were able to ride it home? Glad to hear that part of the story anyway.

I cannot help you with the wheel other than to say that you can also use a ZX 14 wheel on a C-14; that may help you if looking on sites such as Ebay, etc.

Brian

Softball sized rock with sharp edges, I didn't even see it. Through me out of the saddle, landed with a big tank slapper. Red light, low pressure, Front Tire 0 psi. Rode it home 5 miles at about 12 mph, anything faster and the tank slapper threat. Looking for a wheel!
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 02:52:07 PM »
Thanks, that info may be a big help, no front wheels on Ebay, cheapest new is $560 (assembly). Might as well get new bearings too. Main problem is an MSTA rally scheduled for 9/29

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 02:52:18 PM »
Remind me not to get anywhere near you with all that's been happening lately.  Glad you're ok.  Would have scared the you know what out of me...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 03:03:13 PM »
It appears you can have the wheel repaired at shops that specialize in that kind of work. I have never had that type of work done but the ‘before’ and ‘after’ photos are pretty encouraging and the price seems reasonable, at least compared with a new wheel. Of course if you need the bike back together that quickly it might not be possible to repair the wheel in time.

If you do buy a new wheel, it still might be worth having the old one repaired and then selling it. Of course you should disclose that it had been repaired but it might be worth it depending on the value of a used wheel and the cost of the repair and associated shipping. If there is someone who could repair it locally it might make more sense than shipping the damaged wheel twice (out and back). Just a thought to try and take a bit of the sting out of your situation.

Brian

Thanks, that info may be a big help, no front wheels on Ebay, cheapest new is $560 (assembly). Might as well get new bearings too. Main problem is an MSTA rally scheduled for 9/29
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 03:12:00 PM »
Remind me not to get anywhere near you with all that's been happening lately.  Glad you're ok.  Would have scared the you know what out of me...
I was about scared $hitless for a few milliseconds, felt like I was being attacked by the dreaded skunk-ape (local bigfoot joke)  but when I saw the low pressure message I figured I would not die. TPS rocks! Thought I would need a tow and started to hike home  (5 miles) but noone on the road at 1:30 pm saw figured I could ride it home. First 4 miles were no problem, only 2 cars but when I got on the big road, I remebered it was time for school to let out. 30 cars in 1 mile :o

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 03:13:57 PM »
I was about scared $hitless for a few milliseconds, felt like I was being attacked by the dreaded skunk-ape (local bigfoot joke)  but when I saw the low pressure message I figured I would not die. TPS rocks! Thought I would need a tow and started to hike home  (5 miles) but noone on the road at 1:30 pm saw figured I could ride it home. First 4 miles were no problem, only 2 cars but when I got on the big road, I remebered it was time for school to let out. 30 cars in 1 mile :o

TPS rocks, indeed!
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2011, 03:17:23 PM »

Fixable? There is a shop that does car wheels locally, I will call them.

09 ZX14 wheel, rotors and tires on ebay for  $339, what do y'all think. I could get it powder coated silver later.

It appears you can have the wheel repaired at shops that specialize in that kind of work. I have never had that type of work done but the ‘before’ and ‘after’ photos are pretty encouraging and the price seems reasonable, at least compared with a new wheel. Of course if you need the bike back together that quickly it might not be possible to repair the wheel in time.

If you do buy a new wheel, it still might be worth having the old one repaired and then selling it. Of course you should disclose that it had been repaired but it might be worth it depending on the value of a used wheel and the cost of the repair and associated shipping. If there is someone who could repair it locally it might make more sense than shipping the damaged wheel twice (out and back). Just a thought to try and take a bit of the sting out of your situation.

Brian

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2011, 03:18:27 PM »
Do the parts interchange?

Offline PH14

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2011, 04:00:11 PM »

Sorry to hear, but I'm glad you're okay. Insurance? Of course all that depends on deductibles.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2011, 04:05:49 PM »
Awe shucks, lotsa HDs for rent ;)

Offline Shoe

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2011, 04:39:44 PM »
There are folks that specialize in straightening wheels. For instance.

http://www.kwicksilverusa.com/

There may be someone in your area.
Eat corn. Drill for oil.

2008 Concours, 2010 Goldwing

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2011, 05:07:07 PM »
Beats me- lots' o' variables in that one such as the rotors and tire- are any of them any good / do you want any of them anyway? Probably not. On the other hand the wheel itself is probably straight (because most of them are not bent) and it is a much better price than new....? Do you have the ability to change tires and balance wheels? If not, the new wheel becomes more attractive because it is virtually guaranteed to be straight and useable out of the box. Also Kawasaki may be more reliable on shipping seeing as time is so critical.

I think I would probably take the shot on the used wheel if I was confident that it would fit (a ZX 14 front wheel is the same part number as a C-14 front wheel), was straight and the seller seemed OK as near as I could tell.

Brian

Fixable? There is a shop that does car wheels locally, I will call them.

09 ZX14 wheel, rotors and tires on ebay for  $339, what do y'all think. I could get it powder coated silver later.

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2011, 05:43:48 PM »
I jumped on the ZX14 stuff. Wheel and rotor part numbers match up.  If the wreck only had 640 miles on it as claimed rotors will be useful, mine are getting thin. The tire will be good for this trip at least. Wheel bearings should be good too. Shipping will be close but if it comers in the night before I can put it on in 10 minutes. 

I could not find any legit local wheel places on the web, only cosmetic repairs. The place I knew about seems to be OOB.

Thanks again for the ZX14 wheel tip.

Offline PH14

« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2011, 06:55:13 PM »
Sounds like a decent deal. I'm glad you found something that will work.

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2011, 07:04:57 PM »
Sounds like a decent deal. I'm glad you found something that will work.
Thanks. Seems like a bit of luck if all works out.

Offline MikeERideWNC

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2011, 07:06:12 PM »
Contact Russ through his site: http://www.firstclassmotorcycletours.com/

I do his tires. He had a wheel worse than yours and had it repaired.
I think he sent the wheel to NJ?
It was on his BMW K1200LT which has a much more heavy duty wheel than the C-14.

The wheel is perfect now. It was only a few hundred dollars.

He should know the contact info of the company who fixed his wheel.

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2011, 07:19:05 PM »
Thanks

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2011, 07:28:11 PM »
Well at least that finally explains where the material went that BMW <should> have used in their final drives.... Wheels good. Drives bad. I'd take the lighter wheels myself.

Brian

<snip>

It was on his BMW K1200LT which has a much more heavy duty wheel than the C-14.

<snip>