Author Topic: Garage Door Openers  (Read 3926 times)

Offline oldsmoboat

Garage Door Openers
« on: July 15, 2011, 11:12:54 AM »
What do you guys use for garage door openers?
Anyone mount one in the dash?

I am using a standard sized (big) opener that has a spring clip on the backside that I slide over the dash.
Yesterday on the way to work, something flew by and hit my wrist then the road.  It was the battery compartment door on the remote.

Offline Strawboss

Re: Garage Door Openers
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 11:16:25 AM »
Isn't there an ad on the back of all the bike mags for a door opener attatched to your bikes highbeams? Flash twice and the door opens.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 11:17:52 AM »
I put mine in my 08 glove box...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Mal

• Arena
  • There is no spoon...
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 11:19:49 AM »
`09 ZG-1400
Western Colorado

"It is not the business of government to make men virtuous or religious, or to preserve the fool from the consequences of his own folly. Government should be repressive no further than is necessary to secure liberty by protecting the equal rights of each from aggression on the part of others" —Henry George

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 11:20:51 AM »
Inside jacket pocket which I can activate through my jacket even with gloves on.
However you can order key fob garage door openers for just about every brand.
Try ebay if you're interested.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline Conrad

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 11:28:58 AM »
I velcroed mine to the underside of my '08's glovebox door. I just pop the door open as I get near the garage and press the button, quick and easy.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 01:40:01 PM »
Mine's in a window in my tank bag. Just push it on through the window.

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 02:11:16 PM »
I had a remote that worked fine, but kept draining the battery, so I hard wired it to the bike's switched leads and drilled the dash for a small Radio Shack push-button switch.  Since remotes use a 12v battery, it's easy to do do the permanent install with just a bit of soldering.

On my other bikes, I just use a key chain remote.
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2011, 04:54:45 PM »
Left front jacket pocket, I just hit it through the jacket with my gloves on as I roll up the driveway...

Offline billhook

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2011, 07:41:41 PM »
I have mine velcroed to the underside of the left glove box lid and a pair of wires soldered across one of the switches.  The wires are then run to a waterproof momentary push button switch mounted on the same glove box lid.  Switch was obtained from China via ebay for $1.90 shipped.  I got an extra opener on ebay a couple years ago for around $10 shipped.

BTW - not all remotes are 12v.  Mine uses a 3v watch battery.

Offline Ron Dawg

• Arena
  • a/k/a ron203
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2011, 07:55:00 PM »
Mini-universal remote without the visor clip in a zip lock in my upper jacket pocket. One touch, door's open. Love it.
2014 C-14 Red

Offline Pfloydgad

• When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2011, 05:22:29 PM »
I have always over compressed the spring on the back, and then hooked it over or around the clutch hydro line coming out of the backside of the master cylinder. The spring holds it in place very well, and I guess i have been lucky, but I have never had one come loose or pop off.
This is the same control that i switch back and forth between my car and bike. So removable is critical. Good luck on your solution.
Ride safe all.
Greg
Why did we have to run for cover with the promise of a brave new world unfold beneath the clear blue sky ?

Offline The Other Brian

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2011, 07:15:59 PM »
I have mine velcroed to the underside of the left glove box lid and a pair of wires soldered across one of the switches.  The wires are then run to a waterproof momentary push button switch mounted on the same glove box lid.  Switch was obtained from China via ebay for $1.90 shipped.  I got an extra opener on ebay a couple years ago for around $10 shipped.

BTW - not all remotes are 12v.  Mine uses a 3v watch battery.

I did the same thing. But I used a non-waterproof switch from radio shack that I need to replace about once a season.  I tried to find a waterproof one with no success. I'll have try searching again.
Coon Rapids MN
2010 FJR 1300

Offline oldsmoboat

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2011, 12:31:15 PM »
I find to be in the glove box to be inconvenient.   I am carrying it there now without the battery door and half the time I reach down to trigger the remote and the glove box is locked.

I like the hard wired option.

Offline billhook

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2011, 12:43:22 PM »
I did the same thing. But I used a non-waterproof switch from radio shack that I need to replace about once a season.  I tried to find a waterproof one with no success. I'll have try searching again.

Search ebay for "waterproof momentary switch".

Offline Leo

« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2011, 08:11:06 PM »
Small keychain sized remote is wrapped in black plastic and taped to the clutch cylinder hose.  it just blends in with the rest of the wireing, cables, etc.  No one notices, and if they did, they would not know what is in the lump.  Simple squeeze and in I go.
Yep, still riding the old one

In Indiana, missing Texas

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2011, 08:51:07 AM »
Left front jacket pocket, I just hit it through the jacket with my gloves on as I roll up the driveway...

I do the same.  I just wish I could find a full size fob, with a large, single button.  In fact, I have a small keychain fob that I wear when riding my bicycle that I just toss in a jersey pocket.

Offline Ron Dawg

• Arena
  • a/k/a ron203
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2011, 07:38:03 PM »
Maybe find a two button universal remote at Lowe's and "teach" both buttons to work? Then it would not matter which one you hit.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 08:43:15 PM by Ron Dawg »
2014 C-14 Red

Offline bbroj

• To be determined...
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2011, 07:55:23 PM »
Clipped to the fairing inner panel, just below the left fairing pocket. It's not waterproof, but rarely a problem and even when it does get wet, it dries out and works. I had it on the outside of the left fairing pocket door. but the turn into my driveway is useally a right, and the handlebar blocked it when I made the turn. I can lift the clip enough to remove it to wash the bike.
'12 C-14, Vance and Hines CS One muffler, lowered pegs, tank bra, bar risers, Phil's Farkles rack with Givi V46 top box, fender extender, Bucks tail brights, Canyon Cages and much more to come!
COG 9331
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=1302;type=avatar&time=1422479190