Author Topic: New Member 1st Post  (Read 2775 times)

Offline Hang2er

New Member 1st Post
« on: July 14, 2011, 06:00:06 AM »
I just picked up my 2010 C14 2 days ago, and first of WOW!  I've always ridden cruisers in the past and just can't get over what a fantastic machine this is.  It's so fast (unintentionally) so smooth and perfectly balanced, I don't know what took me so long (actually I do it was a lack of money :) )

My wrist is sore from a riding position that is much different than I'm used to, I just ordered some heli risers which I hope will cure this condition, I hope it doesn't much effect the handling, but I can't enjoy the bike if I can't ride it for more than an hour or two.

I have 2 reasons for writing my first post. 

1) Thank-you to all the members here, I've been lurking for a while and all the information here made my purchase much easier, I'm certain I knew more about the bike than the dealer did when I walked in there.

2) The COG owners group charges a fee to join.  I see many of you are members, can you tell me what are the benefits of joining?  I see a bunch of stuff on their calender for out in the mid-west, but I'm in NH and I'd hate to pay a fee just to find out about stuff going on in WI.

Thanks again for all the information and I hope I'm posting in the right section.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: New Member 1st Post
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 06:13:30 AM »
Welcome, the folks here and on the COG forum (which is also free) are a wonderful resource for info, humor, and sometimes a little controversy. The Concours Owners Group ,of which I am a member, is very active in the Northeast I believe. You are close the the upcoming National Rally.
It would be a great opportunity to find out about the club and the members and decide for yourself if it is something you would enjoy. Have fun.

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 07:05:07 AM »
2) The COG owners group charges a fee to join.  I see many of you are members, can you tell me what are the benefits of joining?  I see a bunch of stuff on their calender for out in the mid-west, but I'm in NH and I'd hate to pay a fee just to find out about stuff going on in WI.

The NorthEast is possibly the most active section of COG.  The National Rally is being hosted this year in the NorthEast at Mt. Snow, VT.  There are lots of rides, rallys, meet & greets, etc. all over the place here.  If you're checking out the COG calendar, be sure to set it to show the NorthEast events, (upper left side of the page) as it seems to default to North Central.  The NorthEast Fall Rally is just over in Lake George, NY in September. 
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline bbroj

• To be determined...
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 10:14:35 AM »
Welcome! I've had my '06 Concours for just over a year now and been a member of COG for about 1/2 that time. Both forums, as mentioned, are free and more than worth the price! COG membership does cost, but it is well worth the price. I have attended a few COG organized events in my area (NE) and have had a great time at every one and can't wait to attend the national in August, it will be my first, of course. I have already met several of the people posting here and looking forward to meeting many more. The group events, even if you're not a "group" rider, are a lot of fun. Some of the generosity demonstrated and organized in the name of COG or just helping another rider on these forums is truely inspirational.
'12 C-14, Vance and Hines CS One muffler, lowered pegs, tank bra, bar risers, Phil's Farkles rack with Givi V46 top box, fender extender, Bucks tail brights, Canyon Cages and much more to come!
COG 9331
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=1302;type=avatar&time=1422479190

Son of Pappy

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 11:39:19 AM »
Why join?  I'm in the directory (And way more smart folks of course)!!  Welcome to the nuthouse, learn most of what ya need to know for free, but most wont have net access when on the road, and there isnt any guarentee I will read a post when you need help, whereas my phone sleeps next to me in the eve.  Ignore the politics, less ya wanna become a director of some sort, folks 'round both sides are about as friendly as you will find, and some of the best wrench turners ever, we are known for our frugalness, hence thirst for knowledge and willingness to share what others have given.
Such a shame they only made the fastest color in '08 ;)  You'll just have to do with the slower '10 version, but dont worry, it's still way quicker then them outdated junior rider (FJRs) bikes ;D

Offline okxd45

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011, 12:13:17 PM »
Welcome Hang2er! :)  I'm pretty new myself and am starting to see the benefits of joining COG.
Jeff
"Look like the innocent flower, but be the serpent under 't." Macbeth Quote (Act I, Scene V).
"I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves." (Matthew 10:16 NIV)

Offline Hang2er

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2011, 08:19:36 PM »
Such a shame they only made the fastest color in '08 ;)  You'll just have to do with the slower '10 version, but dont worry, it's still way quicker then them outdated junior rider (FJRs) bikes ;D

I'm glad I don't have the fastest color, after today's 100 mile jaunt I'm one properly placed state trooper away from jail as it is.

Thanks again for all the good advice and warm welcome.

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 04:15:06 AM »
I'm glad I don't have the fastest color, after today's 100 mile jaunt I'm one properly placed state trooper away from jail as it is.

Signature material right there. :thumbs: Mind if I use it? With proper attribution, of course.

Welcome.

On the COG thing, do check out the calendar on the official site, and watch for local events posted in either forum for your neighborhood. Attend a few, usually free of FEEs. If you like the concept, join up. Some COGgers will put you up for a night or ?? while you're traveling, one I found in CT(Hi Dave) helped me kill some brain cells with some mighty fine strawberry rhubarb wine, and put me up in his(their) RV for the night. I brought him some local brew. Had a marvelous time telling lies and such.  Most of 'em will help you out when traveling and you run into moto troubles. They'll be listed in "the book".
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline ssmith

• Concours Owners Group
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2011, 09:23:53 AM »
Can't say much more that these great guys have said already.

Click here to see current COG member benefits

If you have questions about the COG Northeast Area, shoot an email to nead at cog-online dot org

Please do come to the national rally - you are too close not to. You can get to hang out with over 300 friends you have yet to meet. Check out all the event details on the National Rally pages at www.cog-online.org. Come for the whole event or just a few days.  There are some great room rates. The group dinner is THU. Check the rally schedule for what is happening. Keep in mind that there is almost nothing scheduled during the day because we are out riding, but most are back mid to late afternoon and hanging around the parking lot telling tall tales.

Steve Smith, COG #3184
Get your own official COG # by joining the Concours Owners Group, the premier sport-touring club for Concours enthusiasts and sport-touring riders.  Click here to learn more about club membership

Offline Hang2er

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2011, 08:01:21 PM »
Signature material right there. :thumbs: Mind if I use it? With proper attribution, of course.

Well of course :)

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2011, 05:17:33 PM »
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)