Author Topic: Final Drive Oil Leaking from Swingarm?  (Read 6846 times)

Offline Nocage

Final Drive Oil Leaking from Swingarm?
« on: July 03, 2017, 07:25:14 PM »
Hello,

I recently bought a new 2016 Concours (my second Concours. Love the bike). At 612 miles I did the initial service myself (I try to do all my own work). At 1,200 miles I noticed the ground beneath my final drive swingarm dust cover wet. I think the final drive oil is leaking from the swingarm dust cover. Does anyone have experience to why this is happening? I read that overfilling the final drive could cause leaking, but from a seal? Also, if it's leaking from the seal, I assume this means the seal is no longer good and it must be replaced?

Please see the attached pictures. I'm not sure if I identified the correct seal in the blow-out diagram.

Thank you

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Final Drive Oil Leaking from Swingarm?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2017, 05:58:00 AM »
I think I would replace the 92055 as well.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2017, 06:15:07 AM »
Looks like warranty work.

Had you just washed the bike?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2017, 07:06:37 AM »
Agreed.  Let the dealer handle it.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2017, 07:23:30 AM »
Also agreed
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2017, 07:31:07 AM »
Way back when, in the early years of the C14, sometimes there would be a weep at that location.   And by weep, I mean barely a shadow of drive oil.   This was considered normal and once cleaned off would never re-appear.  In this case, it appears to be a down right leak.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2017, 07:36:50 AM »
Interesting, and a new spot for a leak as far as I know. The interesting thing is that there is no lube above that joint so the leak is either before or after that pivot point.

Fastest way to tell is..... now, we need and Easy Boys! up front on thie one, is to stick you finger in the puddle and smell it. If it stinks, it is lube from the final drive ('rear end lube' or 'hypoid grease'). If it just smells like engine oil, then it is coming from the bevel gear housing on the transmission.

But as others have said, either way, a warranty issue. Hopefully you have a dealer around that is competent and that you trust, and whatever is the source of the leak will not be a problem.

Best of luck getting it repaired.

Brian

Hello,

I recently bought a new 2016 Concours (my second Concours. Love the bike). At 612 miles I did the initial service myself (I try to do all my own work). At 1,200 miles I noticed the ground beneath my final drive swingarm dust cover wet. I think the final drive oil is leaking from the swingarm dust cover. Does anyone have experience to why this is happening? I read that overfilling the final drive could cause leaking, but from a seal? Also, if it's leaking from the seal, I assume this means the seal is no longer good and it must be replaced?

Please see the attached pictures. I'm not sure if I identified the correct seal in the blow-out diagram.

Thank you
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Nocage

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2017, 10:20:06 AM »
Thanks for all the replies. Answer to the questions asked:

The bike hasn't been washed for a few weeks. The leak stinks.

I made an appointment with Roseville Kawasaki. Soonest they can see the bike is on the 24th, which really sucks. The bigger problem is I don't know which dealer to trust. Seems like within my vicinity (Folsom, CA) I only have a few options:

Roseville Kawasaki
PCP Motorsports
Good Time Motorsports (never taking my bike here again. They bent my front wheel when changing tires ones and tried to pin it on me. By bent I mean to the point where the tire wouldn't cup the wheel and the PSI was rapidly being lost as I was riding home. They actually hid the problem and had me ride the bike home).

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2017, 11:29:59 AM »
OK, then it is lube from the final drive- this should be easier / faster to fix, and with less risk to any peripheral parts.

Any chance the final drive is overfilled? If so, that alone might be the problem. If not, there is a seal (really just an O-ring) at the end of the driveshaft drive spline that looks like it would be the only source of rear end grease getting up the driveshaft to leak out beyond the bellows. If that is it, a very simple solution although the driveshaft has to come out to get at it.

Best of luck with the dealer. If by any chance you have a combination Kawasaki / BMW dealer anywhere near in the area, you might want to check them out; BMW usually has an excellent dealer network so any other brands a BMW dealer handles often seem to benefit in quality of work.

Easy Boys!Easy Boys!Easy Boys!Easy Boys!Easy Boys!  Some assembly required- put these wherever you think they should go.

Brian

Thanks for all the replies. Answer to the questions asked:

The bike hasn't been washed for a few weeks. The leak stinks.

I made an appointment with Roseville Kawasaki. Soonest they can see the bike is on the 24th, which really sucks. The bigger problem is I don't know which dealer to trust. Seems like within my vicinity (Folsom, CA) I only have a few options:

Roseville Kawasaki
PCP Motorsports
Good Time Motorsports (never taking my bike here again. They bent my front wheel when changing tires ones and tried to pin it on me. By bent I mean to the point where the tire wouldn't cup the wheel and the PSI was rapidly being lost as I was riding home. They actually hid the problem and had me ride the bike home).
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Nocage

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2017, 11:20:59 PM »
I didn't think I overfilled the final drive, but after reading other posts, i'm not sure. I followed the service manual, except I put the bike on the center stand. Apparently, that's incorrect. I was supposed to keep the rear wheel on the ground while centering the bike. I don't know if this makes enough of a difference to cause the leak at the swing arm.

If I did overfill the final drive, which caused the leak from the seal, the seal still needs to be replaced, right? Also, I thought there is a vent that's supposed to handle overfilling?

Thank you

OK, then it is lube from the final drive- this should be easier / faster to fix, and with less risk to any peripheral parts.

Any chance the final drive is overfilled? If so, that alone might be the problem. If not, there is a seal (really just an O-ring) at the end of the driveshaft drive spline that looks like it would be the only source of rear end grease getting up the driveshaft to leak out beyond the bellows. If that is it, a very simple solution although the driveshaft has to come out to get at it.

Best of luck with the dealer. If by any chance you have a combination Kawasaki / BMW dealer anywhere near in the area, you might want to check them out; BMW usually has an excellent dealer network so any other brands a BMW dealer handles often seem to benefit in quality of work.

Easy Boys!Easy Boys!Easy Boys!Easy Boys!Easy Boys!  Some assembly required- put these wherever you think they should go.

Brian

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2017, 12:31:33 AM »
First of all, yeah, there is a difference how full the various fluids in the bike appear depending on whether the bike is actually resting on the front tire or rear tire. That said, I personally do not think it all that big of a deal and do not worry about it in my own bike, which made 100K miles without ever consuming a drop of oil and no drivetrain mechanical problems. That certainly is not proof that what I did is a great or even correct way to do it, just that it is not disastrous.

There have been some reports of final drives filled the what the manufacturer calls 'full' and then leaking. Reducing the fill level to the bottom of the fill hole instead of the top has been reported to stop these leaks, actually weeps. I would have thought exactly what you mentioned- that is what the seals and vent are there for. ?? So yes, I would think the driveshaft seal would seal the final drive if filled to the correct level but at the same time, if reducing the volume a little bit stops the seepage, that is perfect IMO. No trip to the dealer, no worry about a dealer's competence. Easy enough to try too, just take a little fluid out of the drive with a straw or something, get the level to the bottom of the filler hole threads and all is well. You can certainly give it a try and if nothing else, give yourself some more time to research Kawasaki dealers in your area before taking the bike in for that repair.

Brian

I didn't think I overfilled the final drive, but after reading other posts, i'm not sure. I followed the service manual, except I put the bike on the center stand. Apparently, that's incorrect. I was supposed to keep the rear wheel on the ground while centering the bike. I don't know if this makes enough of a difference to cause the leak at the swing arm.

If I did overfill the final drive, which caused the leak from the seal, the seal still needs to be replaced, right? Also, I thought there is a vent that's supposed to handle overfilling?

Thank you

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2017, 05:18:31 AM »
I've always drained/filled the rear drive on the center stand but I never have filled it full till it runs out over the threads.  I usually stop the fill about a quarter inch or so below the threads.   Never had an issue.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2017, 05:34:07 AM »
I follow the instructions exactly (center stand, all the way to the mouth of the opening), and haven't had any problems.  That stuff is stinky.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline chap

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2017, 07:48:06 AM »
I always fill mine on the sidestand. Seems to work well for me.
2010 Concours ABS = Blue
2003 Concours - Red (sold)

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2017, 10:54:28 AM »
Hello,

Thank you
i have a 2016 and at 5k the pinion seal dropped it's cookies. made  a big mess on rear wheel and tire.  letting dealer handle i on warranty. looks like a crinic problem on the 16's...
happy trails     2016 c14

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2017, 12:19:27 PM »
i have a 2016 and at 5k the pinion seal dropped it's cookies. made  a big mess on rear wheel and tire.  letting dealer handle i on warranty. looks like a crinic problem on the 16's...
update: dealer just called and told me that the 2015 and 2016 have a new seal arrangement and it has caused some to leak.. mother kaw told dealer to order a whole new driveshaft assy to fix the leak. :'(
happy trails     2016 c14

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2017, 01:53:15 PM »
Great news for you and thank you for posting this, it is useful information  for everyone!

Brian

update: dealer just called and told me that the 2015 and 2016 have a new seal arrangement and it has caused some to leak.. mother kaw told dealer to order a whole new driveshaft assy to fix the leak. :'(

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2017, 03:05:10 PM »

That in interesting and strange.  One, that the design (which seems to work fine) would need a new arrangement.  And two, that the entire assembly would need to be replaced just to address a seal leak!

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2017, 05:30:50 PM »
I went through something similar when they replaced both the final drive and bevel gear ass'y on my bike: dealers basically do not service those assemblies because it is not cost effective for them to do it that way. Kawasaki wanted the gears out of the final drive and bevel gear ass'y from my bike but replaced both units as assemblies; they (Kawasaki USA) told me they basically never provide the internal parts to these ass'y's to dealers because swapping parts and adding labor at the dealer costs (both the customer and the dealer) more money to do it that way. So I would assume this is the same deal; replacing the entire ass'y is just more cost effective.

Not sure of that in this case of course, just my opinion based on other, similar situations.

Brian

That in interesting and strange.  One, that the design (which seems to work fine) would need a new arrangement.  And two, that the entire assembly would need to be replaced just to address a seal leak!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2017, 08:16:26 PM »
I can imagine someone around the Saki table, after several rounds, saying:
Okane o setsuyaku suru aidea ga aru