Author Topic: Group Riding Etiquette  (Read 5919 times)

Offline CrashKLRtoConnie

Group Riding Etiquette
« on: June 28, 2011, 11:15:55 PM »
Thought group may find this useful (Stolen from Group Ride Forum and BARF)

http://www.groupridesforum.net/messages/boards/thread/9266605

~ LEADS:

Hold a pre-ride discussion. Explain to riders how many groups there will be, leads/sweeps for each group, the pace (spirited, mellow, etc) and when/where you will regroup. Some riders will fall behind. Keep a slow and steady pace in the straights so they can catch up.

When stopping to regroup choose a safe spot. Ask the sweep if he/she has observed anything worth noting. Ask riders how they feel about the pace, the ride, and the other riders. Discuss issues with all involved. Safety first is first. Fun is second.

More Good stuff to read (on BARF).

http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126836

~ RIDERS:

1- If you are new to group riding, start in the slowest group at the back of the pack just ahead of the sweep-rider. Work forward according to your comfort level.

2- Ride at less than 70% of your ability and don’t try to keep up with others. The sweep-rider has graciously volunteered to be slower than the slowest rider and will always follow you patiently. Always report to the sweeper when joining or leaving the group because they are responsible for accounting for all riders.

3- In traffic situations, two bikes make one vehicle in a staggered formation (lead on the front left, trail on the rear right). The trailing rider should yield to the lead and maintain a following distance that allows for evasive maneuvers. When negotiating turns in the road, all bikes should be single file and following distance should be increased by several seconds.

4- The trailing rider should never pass the lead rider on the right side. Side-by-side formation should only be used when stopped. On a right lane-change, the trailing rider should change lanes first and then allow the lead rider to move over into formation.

5- All passing should be done as if driving an automobile; on the left, one at a time, and in a separate lane. Passing a rider in the same lane should only be performed after first being acknowledged (waved by) by the rider being passed. In turn, keep an eye out for faster riders behind you and wave them past you when appropriate.

6- Make sure rider behind you see you when making a turn. If not, wait for them to arrive before proceeding.

7- Sweeps, make sure the lead sees you at re-group spots in order to minimize unnecessary wait.

8- Do not fixate on the rider in front of you, nor on obstacles in the road. Instead, focus on the road ahead and on a safe path around the obstacle. The rider ahead of you may have just made a bad judgment and following their path may be catastrophic.

9- Use blinkers and hand signals whenever possible. Familiarize yourself with commonly used signals.

10- As a courtesy to the group, conduct a pre-ride Safety Inspection on your bike and study the route/carry a map. Take care of fluid needs at appropriate stops (bathroom, drinks, fuel). Program I.C.E. into your cell phone (in case of emergency contact number) and invest in a roadside assistance coverage (AutoClub or similar) in case your vehicle breaks down.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 07:37:02 AM by CrashKLRtoConnie »
2008 C14 GTR1400 AKA "Connie"

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
Re: Group Riding Etiquette
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 11:57:36 PM »
Nice, but it depends on the group/location which etiquette applies, right?

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline wildwilly

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 12:00:10 AM »
11. If you must ride in large groups, accept the fact that almost everyone on the road who is not part of your "group" is irritated with to begin with.  So, don't act like an ***.  It gives all of us a bad name.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 12:01:51 AM »
11. If you must ride in large groups, accept the fact that almost everyone on the road who is not part of your "group" is irritated with to begin with.  So, don't act like an ***.  It gives all of us a bad name.

Should've told the guy in your avatar that too
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2011, 07:35:46 AM »
Another good reason to have a CB if you ride in a group. When we ride in small groups we always keep an eye on the rider behind us. I look out for the one behind me and the rider in front of me keeps me in his sight. That way IF something was to happen to anyone in the group if won't be a long time until you notice someone is missing. Helps a lot in the twisties.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2011, 07:59:55 AM »
12)  Form a single line to the right, and let other FASTER riders pass on your left when safe to do so.  You would like this courtesy extended to you, wouldn't you?

Nothing more annoying than having a pack of slow moving twisty slayers killing your ride by not allowing you to pass... or making it more difficult than it has to be.
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2011, 08:57:50 AM »
12)  Form a single line to the right, and let other FASTER riders pass on your left when safe to do so.  You would like this courtesy extended to you, wouldn't you?

Nothing more annoying than having a pack of slow moving twisty slayers killing your ride by not allowing you to pass... or making it more difficult than it has to be.

+1

The Hardly-Ableson riders are the worst about this courtesy.

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2011, 09:33:41 AM »
We do small groups and don't normally have an official sweep rider.
Even though we tell newer folks to ride their own ride,,,,
We found that some new riders try to keep up as they are afraid of getting lost.

To remedy this, we assure them that someone will always stop when we make a turn (to show them the direction we are traveling).
Plus we will make regular stops to regroup....

Ride safe, Ted

Offline wildwilly

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2011, 11:57:26 AM »
Should've told the guy in your avatar that too

My avatar ain't got nothing to do with riding in groups, or acting like an ***.  Its representative of what the artist felt the results of Evil Kenevil's Grand Canyon jump  might've looked like if things hadn't gone as planned.

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2011, 12:03:51 PM »
Hmmm....seems I remember that bike in the wall on The Dragon....
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline redzgrider

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2011, 07:33:46 PM »
The only perfect riding group is the Gilligan trio: me, myself, and I. Every person beyond that adds complexity at the square of the total number.

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2011, 10:26:41 PM »
Rule Number Only:

Don't ride in groups.

Problem solved.
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline ssmith

• Concours Owners Group
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2011, 04:27:49 AM »
The MSF also publishes Group Riding Quick Tips:
http://msf-usa.org/downloads/Group_Ride.pdf

The minor issue I see is that most group riding guidelines do not explicitly cater to the sport-touring or sport riding enthusiasts. Slight modifications are always needed.  IMHO the important points...

Small groups - no more than 5-6 riders.

Those wanting to ride quicker move up front.

Ride your own ride and do not try to keep up by exceeding limitations of rider or bike.

Do not worry so much about getting separated by traffic. Regroup periodically.

The rider in front is responsible to watch for one rider behind and to make sure rider behind makes next turn.
Steve Smith, COG #3184
Get your own official COG # by joining the Concours Owners Group, the premier sport-touring club for Concours enthusiasts and sport-touring riders.  Click here to learn more about club membership

Offline wildwilly

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2011, 08:50:55 PM »
Hmmm....seems I remember that bike in the wall on The Dragon....

Gee, cut a guy some slack for a little poetic license! ;D

Offline spd2918

• Stay off the paint, boys.
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2011, 08:04:46 AM »
The MSF also publishes Group Riding Quick Tips:
http://msf-usa.org/downloads/Group_Ride.pdf
Small groups - no more than 5-6 riders.

Those wanting to ride quicker move up front.

Ride your own ride and do not try to keep up by exceeding limitations of rider or bike.

Do not worry so much about getting separated by traffic. Regroup periodically.

The rider in front is responsible to watch for one rider behind and to make sure rider behind makes next turn.

This^^^ except for the last line.  I know a guy that went down (too fast into a corner) because he was worried and watching his buddy in his mirrors.  You are not responsible for the guy behind you.  Ride your ride and he will ride his.  A periodical regroup can handle the rest.

I recently did a week in the Black Hills with two buddies.  One liked to ride A LOT faster than I am comfortable with on public roads.  The other liked to ride A LOT slower than I choose to.  That dictated our order and we had a great time.  Our spacing made it seem that we were alone on the road.  That meant less worries.

Mr. Fast I'm Taking Racing Lessons:

Mr. Slow I'm Old And Can't See Gravel:

Offline ssmith

• Concours Owners Group
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2011, 02:00:48 PM »
This^^^ except for the last line.  I know a guy that went down (too fast into a corner) because he was worried and watching his buddy in his mirrors.  You are not responsible for the guy behind you.  Ride your ride and he will ride his.  A periodical regroup can handle the rest.

I would hate to be the last guy in your riding group.  I could end up with a flat,  or worse be laying in a ditch, and no one would know.... or care.

Steve Smith, COG #3184
Get your own official COG # by joining the Concours Owners Group, the premier sport-touring club for Concours enthusiasts and sport-touring riders.  Click here to learn more about club membership

Offline Roadhound

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2011, 02:21:25 PM »
Rule number one should be, If you can't keep up, find a different riding group. It's not a good situation for you or for the other riders. I personally think that any group larger than 3 is too many, 2 is about right. If all of the group doesn't ride damn near the same it's a PIA for all concerned.
Don Ricks
Atlanta, Ga.

"Ride or Ride not, there is no drive."

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2011, 04:38:31 PM »
I do agree that you are not responsible for the guy behind you.
But you should danged sure be aware that he is still back there!

Even if he rides far behind the group. When you make a stop, always check that he's still there. As a rule of thumb, everyone in the group should do a head count to be sure everyone is ok.

Basicallly, this is simple courtesy....
AND it helps with safety.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline spd2918

• Stay off the paint, boys.
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2011, 07:04:47 AM »

I would hate to be the last guy in your riding group.  I could end up with a flat,  or worse be laying in a ditch, and no one would know.... or care.

We'd miss you at the regroup, usually a turn that required a stop.  We have never lost one yet.

Offline CrashKLRtoConnie

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2011, 09:32:21 AM »

I recently did a week in the Black Hills with two buddies.  One liked to ride A LOT faster than I am comfortable with on public roads.  The other liked to ride A LOT slower than I choose to.  That dictated our order and we had a great time.  Our spacing made it seem that we were alone on the road.  That meant less worries.

Mr. Fast I'm Taking Racing Lessons:

Mr. Slow I'm Old And Can't See Gravel:

I love the fact the photo shows Mr Slow cleaning the blood off this knife  :P
2008 C14 GTR1400 AKA "Connie"