Author Topic: Brake pads  (Read 9337 times)

Offline jjsC6

Re: Brake pads
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2011, 07:23:14 AM »
I just checked mine yesterday as I put a new tire on - at just over 25,000 miles it looks like they are nearing their end.  I looked up the OEM pads on Bike Bandit and it appears the fronts are about $62 each set X 2, and the rears are $74.  Can anyone tell me what a decent price is at a dealer, or what aftermarket pads you like?   I can't remember the last time I had to put new pads on a motorcycle.
Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Son of Pappy

« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2011, 07:57:35 AM »
I just checked mine yesterday as I put a new tire on - at just over 25,000 miles it looks like they are nearing their end.  I looked up the OEM pads on Bike Bandit and it appears the fronts are about $62 each set X 2, and the rears are $74.  Can anyone tell me what a decent price is at a dealer, or what aftermarket pads you like?   I can't remember the last time I had to put new pads on a motorcycle.
www.murphkits.com
I like the EBC HHs.  The Carbonne Lorains work great wet or dry at street speeds, but track speeds?  EBCs...

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2011, 08:10:21 AM »
www.murphkits.com
I like the EBC HHs.  The Carbonne Lorains work great wet or dry at street speeds, but track speeds?  EBCs...

Thanks - ordered the EBCs.
Jim
Current bikes....

Offline JS_racer

« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2011, 06:19:41 AM »
are the stock pads closest to the hh or non hh pads ?? ordered some rears but went stock because i was unsure.
i have heard the hh are harder on rotors and noiser than stock or non hh ??

rear pads are crazy expensive, cost is like 55-60$.

Offline redbarber

• Arena
  • '09 ABS (wife on '08 Can-AM Spyder follows)
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2011, 07:40:29 AM »
After front rotors were replaced at 20k miles, original pads weren't contacting entire surface.  Apparantly the warped rotors scalloped out the face of the pads.  Replaced them with EBC HH pads.  Got a great deal on Ebay.  $85 for front set shipped, $105 for front and rear shipped.  I also found a pair of rear's for $18, which I bought for the future.  My original pads looked like they had about 20% of their usable life still in them.  I think if rotors hadn't been a problem, I might have been able to go 24-25K before replacing them.  Rears were worn out by around 18k, replaced when I had to get a new PR3 due to a nail in my last one.
If you take yourself too seriously, nobody else will.  Humor is all around you, make it your quest to find all of it!

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2011, 07:49:14 AM »
I installed a set of the Dunlopad dp220 rear pads this weekend on my 2008 abs. They are a nice improvement even though their rating of "GG" is onto as strong as the oem rear "HH" pads.   I felt like the oem pads did nothing, or offered no feel...then abs kicked in.  Very little feel for the in-between positions. The DP220's made this range much broader.   They also run very clean.

Offline JS_racer

« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2011, 04:19:25 PM »
so oem front and rear are HH ??

Offline turbohawk

« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2011, 09:26:45 AM »
Left caliper outboard pads nearly to metal at 20k, inboard and all the right calipers pads are still showing the wear groove. Rear pads not showing any noticeable wear yet. Left rotor appears to be warped.

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2011, 11:43:03 AM »

Yes, the OEM front, and rear have "HH" printed on them.   I'm not sure it means much, though.  Pads rated "HH" from other sources feel different. Also, max grip can often feel like an on/off switch.  For the rear brakes, especially. The DP "GG" pads I added to the rear offer much more feel and range before abs kicks in.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2011, 02:17:52 PM »
Yes.

To the best of my knowledge, all brake pads for a C-14, both aftermarket as well as OEM, are HH rated. The worst brake pads available, at least from a name- brand manufacturer, are really very good pads.

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline gildaguz

« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2011, 09:55:57 AM »
So if the 2010 pads fit to the 2009 those are cheaper than the 09 ones, but  my doubt is if each set of the front ones come with 8 or 4 pads
http://www.ronayers.com/Fiche/TypeID/26/Type/Motorcycle/MakeID/3/Make/Kawasaki/YearID/51/Year/2010/ModelID/8478/Model/Concours_14_(ZG1400-DAF)/GroupID/408704/Group/Front_Brake

SKU   QTY Your Price List Price Total Price 
 596892 PAD-ASSY-BRAKE (43082-0071)  X  $56.61 $74.58 $56.61 Those are for the 09
Added to order on: 10/16/2011 @ 11:44AM   You Save: $17.97 (24%)
 1319941 PAD-ASSY-BRAKE (43082-0112)  X  $47.51 $62.60 $47.51 those are for the 10
Added to order on: 10/16/2011 @ 11:48AM   You Save: $15.09 (24%)

2009 Non ABS Concours Black
2006 Honda VTX 1300 C candy Orange
2004 Honda Shadow  Sabre 750
1979 Suzuki 185 all terrain

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2011, 12:00:03 PM »
I have a new set of pads in hand and may start working on it today.  I just looked at the service manual.  They appear to be showing changing the pads without even taking the calipers off the bike.  I can't see changing the pads without taking the calipers off first - am I right?  It only adds a few minutes to the job anyway, but I can't picture pushing the pistons back in and squeezing the pads in place while the calipers are still mounted on the bike.
Jim
Current bikes....

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2011, 01:36:57 PM »
I have a new set of pads in hand and may start working on it today.  I just looked at the service manual.  They appear to be showing changing the pads without even taking the calipers off the bike.  I can't see changing the pads without taking the calipers off first - am I right?  It only adds a few minutes to the job anyway, but I can't picture pushing the pistons back in and squeezing the pads in place while the calipers are still mounted on the bike.
No reason to remove the calipers at all. Very easy job the pads slide right in.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2011, 03:20:13 PM »
No reason to remove the calipers at all. Very easy job the pads slide right in.

Well, I'll go at it that way - it just seems like it will be difficult to push the pistons back, but maybe once I go out and start working it will become more obvious.  Thanks.
Jim
Current bikes....

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2011, 03:35:02 PM »
knowing how filthy these pads make every part near them, I suggest removing the caliper for cleaning during the service. this allows you the peace of mind to completly spray down ,and clean all the components involved, and inspect to insure the caliper is free of "hitch hikers" (debris/stones/grit etc) before installing the pads.
It also offers the best opportunity to clean the piston completely prior to pressing it inside the seals, if this isn't done, seal life is greatly reduced/compromised. A can of Brake-Kleen and an old toothbrush work fine.
I also smear a small amount of silicone anti-chatter paste on the interface of the pads to the piston, difficult to do with the caliper mounted. ;)
Time spent is minimal, the knowledge it is done right is worth the time.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2011, 04:09:14 PM »
knowing how filthy these pads make every part near them, I suggest removing the caliper for cleaning during the service. this allows you the peace of mind to completly spray down ,and clean all the components involved, and inspect to insure the caliper is free of "hitch hikers" (debris/stones/grit etc) before installing the pads.
It also offers the best opportunity to clean the piston completely prior to pressing it inside the seals, if this isn't done, seal life is greatly reduced/compromised. A can of Brake-Kleen and an old toothbrush work fine.
I also smear a small amount of silicone anti-chatter paste on the interface of the pads to the piston, difficult to do with the caliper mounted. ;)
Time spent is minimal, the knowledge it is done right is worth the time.

Thanks.  I normally do the same also.
Jim
Current bikes....

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2011, 06:46:15 PM »
Yep, remove the two pad retaining pins and swap the caliper pads.

I remove the calipers to change mine though just to clean around the pistons. In fact, I actually take the caliper halves apart to clean them- it is easy to do and makes cleaning them far easier, especially the inside. I believe that ring of crud that forms on the piston is driven back into the dust seal and somewhat into the fluid seal proper and shortens the life of both seals. It is actually one of the very few things that I probably take too much time and effort on regarding maintenance; I usually lean toward the 'close enough' side of things like exact fluid levels, what type of lube to use, etc., etc.

Either way works though and changing the pads with the calipers on the bike is absolutely easier and faster. Also you do not have to open the hydraulic system and drain it- bleeding the hydraulics on this bike can be a real chore without some type of power bleeder. As I do have a power bleeder it is not an issue but having spent some time and pretty bad words trying to bleed these systems by hand and using hand- pumped vacuum tools I can see why people would try to avoid having to do it when just changing pads.

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2011, 08:24:24 PM »
Thanks for the advice Brian.
Jim
Current bikes....