Author Topic: Valve Timing  (Read 10367 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Valve Timing
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2015, 06:55:22 AM »
I am happy  :banana we're on page 2.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2015, 10:42:49 PM »
not on my browser. It's still page 1
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2015, 03:59:40 AM »
Feel free to use the dancing banana when it goes to two.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2015, 07:35:01 AM »
All, 2009 has 38k miles and I have noticed valve knocking upon start up. Had the valve timing inspected by dealership in Panama City, FL less than 1200 miles ago. Mechanic stated no adjustment was needed. Prior to that the timing had not been adjusted. I now find it hard to believe. Recommendations? I might see if I can fight through it until I get back to Texas next March. A lot of riding to do in between though. Gracias!

did the dealer mechanic really check them?  did you watch him?
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2015, 07:36:17 AM »
don't mind me...I trust a 'possum named Veronica more than a dealership  ;D

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2015, 10:09:01 AM »
did the dealer mechanic really check them?  did you watch him?
I would have requested a Shim Map to be filled out AND to look at that Shim Map before putting the bike back together.
I bet the gaps were within spec but all on the tight side.
If your paying someone to go in there and adjust the valves, adjust them to the max spec and to not  say:" Yup, looks good."
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline PH14

« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2015, 11:10:51 AM »
don't mind me...I trust a 'possum named Veronica more than a dealership  ;D

Hold on, hold on! That is an AirHawk on that there "comfortable" Kawasaki Touring seat! Now, is it really comfortable for long distances, or have you even tried it on a long ride without the AirHawk?  >:( :battle:

sailor_chic

« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2015, 11:42:16 AM »
I asked the same question in a pm. He said a airhawk makes any good seat better, especially on  the 500 + mile days.
I would love to test ride one of those seats, minus the airhawk.

Offline Afm252

« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2015, 11:59:52 AM »
Thank you for the info. Chain makes sense, and you have been around...
I am out of my home turf here in FL so trust has to be gained.
Mike T
09 C14 "Turtle"
07 CBR 600rr Blue/ Silver
98 CBR 600 F3 "Desert Storm"

Offline Racer Boy

« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2015, 12:41:56 PM »
My 2008 w/32K makes the same terrible noise at startup. It does sound exactly like a cam chain rattling around for about half a second, so I don't worry about it.

Offline PH14

« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2015, 03:32:02 PM »
I asked the same question in a pm. He said a airhawk makes any good seat better, especially on  the 500 + mile days.

I know, but I never wanted to sped money on a aftermarket seat, only to need to spend more money to slap an AirHawk onto it in order to make it comfortable. Most of my long distance riding involves 750+ mile days so I like to be comfortable too, but I would hope an aftermarket seat wouldn't require the use of an AirHawk. I have a Sargent and a Corbin and I can do 800 miles on either one. I have some issues but I would rather the manufacturer of the seat make a comfortable seat than have to add something to it.

AirHawks are great though. I was just giving Steve a hard time.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2015, 03:44:08 PM »
OFFTOPIC:

Yep, I have not found anything (saddle, saddle cover, saddle pad) that rivals an AirHawk. There really is not any magic involved, it is just a simple fact that the air- filled cells can conform to any shape and spread out the support- which is exactly what they claim, their cushions eliminate 'hot spots' of pressure. And the shape of our.... er, butts, varies with clothing, even something like a wallet in a back pocket (for example: you are riding your new BMW home and your wallet is much, much thinner than it used to be.... an AirHawk will compensate automatically).

AirHawks are expensive as saddle cushions go, and they are not attractive IMO but they are one of the most functional parts of or on my bike. And I know I cannot spend more than an hour or a bit less riding on a Corbin without significant discomfort; I learned this lesson all over again once when my AirHawk sprung a leak while I was four hours from home :-(   On long trips, I carry a spare AirHawk (seriously) because I know I could could not finish the ride without it.

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline PH14

« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2015, 10:18:10 AM »
OFFTOPIC:

Yep, I have not found anything (saddle, saddle cover, saddle pad) that rivals an AirHawk. There really is not any magic involved, it is just a simple fact that the air- filled cells can conform to any shape and spread out the support- which is exactly what they claim, their cushions eliminate 'hot spots' of pressure. And the shape of our.... er, butts, varies with clothing, even something like a wallet in a back pocket (for example: you are riding your new BMW home and your wallet is much, much thinner than it used to be.... an AirHawk will compensate automatically).

AirHawks are expensive as saddle cushions go, and they are not attractive IMO but they are one of the most functional parts of or on my bike. And I know I cannot spend more than an hour or a bit less riding on a Corbin without significant discomfort; I learned this lesson all over again once when my AirHawk sprung a leak while I was four hours from home :-(   On long trips, I carry a spare AirHawk (seriously) because I know I could could not finish the ride without it.

Brian

I agree with all you say Brain. AirHawks do a great job. The stock Corbin is almost perfect for one too, with its big dish.

Offline datsaxman@hotmail.com

• Arena
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2015, 02:19:16 PM »
OP, drop $50-$60 and get the manual chain tensioner.  And put premium gas in the thing.  Always.

It will be a whole lot quieter.  A tank of lousy 87 octane in the middle of BFE (which is in West Texas apparently) reinforced the second point. 

2008 ZG14X...ZX14 throttle bodies, full AreaP exhaust, heated grips, Corbin, and more...
161.5RWHP on the dyno
Formerly Silverdammit!