Author Topic: Riders Advantage? Bout to get my next Connie and like opinion  (Read 1339 times)

Offline WarEagleAlways2021

Riders Advantage? Bout to get my next Connie and like opinion
« on: September 08, 2021, 12:47:17 PM »
So I am finalizing the deal on this 2015 C14 with 8k on it. I will be riding 110 miles round trip commuting on it about 3 days a week. I’m guessing I can get the Kawasaki extended warrantee as that needs to be transferred over and since I’m getting from a dealer there’s no talk of that. They are pushing the Riders Advantage for 24 months major breakdowns for  $1,120 and 60 months tire /rim replacement for $900. I’m leaning toward NO- any opinions?
Thanks!

Offline Dirtiegirtie

• Arena
Re: Riders Advantage? Bout to get my next Connie and like opinion
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2021, 01:49:46 PM »
I remember I bought a Subaru about 10 years ago. The sales guy asked if I wanted to consider an extended warranty. I gave a clear, "No". I was expecting a long-drawn out pushback. Instead he responded with, "Yeah, that's why you're buying a Subaru, right? Because they are ultra reliable!"
So isn't part of the reason you are buying a C14 is because they are known to be ultra reliable?

Beyond that, I don't really believe in warranties. The business case for warranties and insurance are the same: They have to take in more money than they expect to pay out. I have to buy insurance. Anyways, the buyer is betting they are going to draw the rare straw where the price of the repairs are more than the cost of the insurance. For every person that says, "Thank god I bought the warranty for $1,000... the repairs would have cost me $3,000!" there's going to be many folks that don't use the warranty at all, or at least for repairs that cost less than the cost of the warranty.

I would roll the dice, put the $1,000 in a separate account, and ride.

Just my $0.02

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2021, 02:04:26 PM »
Appreciated!

I remember I bought a Subaru about 10 years ago. The sales guy asked if I wanted to consider an extended warranty. I gave a clear, "No". I was expecting a long-drawn out pushback. Instead he responded with, "Yeah, that's why you're buying a Subaru, right? Because they are ultra reliable!"
So isn't part of the reason you are buying a C14 is because they are known to be ultra reliable?

Beyond that, I don't really believe in warranties. The business case for warranties and insurance are the same: They have to take in more money than they expect to pay out. I have to buy insurance. Anyways, the buyer is betting they are going to draw the rare straw where the price of the repairs are more than the cost of the insurance. For every person that says, "Thank god I bought the warranty for $1,000... the repairs would have cost me $3,000!" there's going to be many folks that don't use the warranty at all, or at least for repairs that cost less than the cost of the warranty.

I would roll the dice, put the $1,000 in a separate account, and ride.

Just my $0.02

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2021, 03:21:55 PM »
So I am finalizing the deal on this 2015 C14 with 8k on it. I will be riding 110 miles round trip commuting on it about 3 days a week. I’m guessing I can get the Kawasaki extended warrantee as that needs to be transferred over and since I’m getting from a dealer there’s no talk of that.

Factory warranty is 3 years, which can be factory extended twice more to a total of 9 years.
You can only extend the warranty if it is already CURRENTLY under a factory warranty.
If it is a BRAND NEW bike (which yours is not), then you will have 3 years starting at purchase date to start with and can extended it by 3 more immediately.  Then 3 more when in the 4th year.
If it is a used bike and it is not under factory or factory extended warranty, it can't be added or extended.

You will have to look up the bike info to know when it was purchased and if it is still under any (and which) factory warranty to know your options.

They are pushing the Riders Advantage for 24 months major breakdowns for  $1,120 and 60 months tire /rim replacement for $900. I’m leaning toward NO- any opinions? Thanks!

The factory extended warranty is a MUST and it is cheap and very good.
I would not buy any type of non-factory warranty.  2 years limited coverage from some unknown place at $1200 is 300% more than the price of the Kawasaki 3 year extended warranty that covers almost everything.

I have never heard of a C14 rim needing replacement, except in a pretty major accident, and then your vehicle insurance should be in play.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline dirtwiz

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2021, 06:29:18 PM »
I agree with buying the Kawasaki extended warranty....you could easily put over 100K on it if you ride70% of the year just commuting depending on your weather conditions. Odds are you will like having the warranty for backup even if you don't use it. My C14 has 72K on it and is repair free other than fork seals but I wish I had a warranty.
If loud pipes save lives....I'll be dead by morning.

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2021, 09:31:56 AM »
Thanks- I looked the bike up and it is t available to have the Kawasaki warranty. I am probably going to pass on this dealer warranty stuff

Offline Bagger John

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2021, 08:47:15 AM »
It depends on why you need the warranty, IMO.

I'm pretty mechanical (and have employment experience in the powersports and machining/fabrication industries). Unless it requires a very specialized tool which I don't have immediately available, no job on one of these bikes (or anything else I've wrenched on, for that matter) is insurmountable.

That said:

I got my first C14 (an '08 ABS) in trade from a buddy. It had 5k on the odo and 1 year left on the factory warranty (which he never had to use). I bought a 3 year extended warranty from Kawasaki when the original ran out, and none after that. I purchased my second (2012) C14 new, bought one extended warranty for it and no more.

Rationale: If something was going to screw up it'll likely be in the first 15-20k miles. After that - assuming proper maintenance - these bikes tend to stay together.

Note that a warranty doesn't usually cover consumables. Fluids, filters, tires, batteries (including TPMS), brake pads, scheduled maintenance items and the like are all on the owner.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2021, 03:28:14 PM »
Note that a warranty doesn't usually cover consumables. Fluids, filters, tires, batteries (including TPMS)

But, the Kawasaki warranties DO cover TPMS.  I had mine replaced under extended warranty (as did quite a few on the forum) and that covered a huge portion of the price of the extended warranty right there :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Bagger John

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2021, 05:17:28 PM »
But, the Kawasaki warranties DO cover TPMS.  I had mine replaced under extended warranty (as did quite a few on the forum) and that covered a huge portion of the price of the extended warranty right there :)
In the case of a 2013-up it's worth the money. The TPMS units in both of mine are of the type which can have the batteries replaced.

Offline FTB530

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2021, 02:50:29 PM »
There is a dealer that sells extended warranties on the concourse for less than $400 for a three year extended right now off the top of my head I can’t remember the dealer name I think it’s ultimate cycle do a little more research and I’m sure you will find it I already bought it once and I plan on buying it again

Offline Jim

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2021, 08:10:36 PM »
I bought mine used with the old Kawasaki good time extended. They covered my TPMS, rear shaft seal, front rotors twice, rear rotor, calipers, ABS pump (it kept warping rotors and they replaced all the brake system). For the PO, they picked up the leaking valve cover and let him add the valve adjust for a few hundred extra. It was a good deal for me.
If at first you don’t succeed, call it version 1.0

'09 C14 ABS Black, on Black, on Black (Faster X 3)