Author Topic: Bar Risers  (Read 11084 times)

Offline Conhardcore

• 2011 Concours 14 Black
Bar Risers
« on: July 01, 2011, 11:34:06 PM »
I had Heli 2" higher and 3/4" back installed on my 2011 C14 before I took delivery, thinking it would make the bike fit me better and not affect handling.  I'm 6' tall, 185lbs with a 32" inseam and 34" sleeve.  I feel kind of bunched up on the bike with and while it does handle great, I rode one today with the factory bar setting and was surprised at how much better I felt like the bike handled.  Much quicker turn in and overall gave me quite a bit more confidence to take turns and curves more agressively.  I actually felt like the seating position and the bars very much "fit" me vs kind of sitting on top of the bars.  Seems like risers along with windshields is one of those very frequent mod's for this bike.  I'm thinking of removing mine at the first service but curious how many ride, particularly long distances, with the stock height set up.  I'm also of course hesitant to remove them and then regret it, but my thinking at this time is that to get maximum performance and capabilities from the bike, it's how it should be set up.  Any input is welcome!  Thanks

Offline IRULE

• How sweet it is...
Re: Bar Risers
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 11:57:46 PM »
I think you answered your own question.  You should remove them and stick with stock.  Listen to your gut feeling...

...I know it suck to remove them, but if its no good, you will keep thinking about it everytime you ride.

you dig?   8)
2009 Black Kawasaki Concours 14
2009 Red Buell 1125CR
1978 Triumph Bonneville

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 04:25:04 AM »
I match you on size and added the risers to get a better (straighter rather than hunched over) riding position. It felt a bit odd the first couple rides, but now I don't even notice.

Offline curly

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 07:26:38 AM »
Don't take this the wrong way, but why would you add risers and such before you see how she feels stock?
Confidence is the feeling you have before you realize the full measure of the situation.

'09 in Black.

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2011, 07:54:20 AM »
You can remove them yourself, no need to wait for the dealer to do it at first service, they will charge you to it, Only 3 bolts holds each riser on, did the dealer give you the stock bolts?

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline Conhardcore

• 2011 Concours 14 Black
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2011, 08:07:49 AM »
Don't take this the wrong way, but why would you add risers and such before you see how she feels stock?

Not at all...a very good question. 

The first C14 I rode was preowned at a BMW dealer and had the same size risers on it and I liked how it felt.  When I went to the Kawi dealer and test rode a new one with stock bars, the contrast "at that time" felt just as another poster mentioned, like I was too leaned over.  I'm sure most of it was due having just ridden the pre-owned one with risers.  Neither of the rides on the bikes were long extended rides and no where near enough  time to make a call as to which setup handled best, just that the one with risers felt better to me.  I am new to riding any kind of sport bike versus cruisers.  Being new to sport bike riding style, I have taken note when reading reviews from sport bike enthusiasts who always describe the Concours as having a most neutral or up straight riding position with the stock bars.  I realize of course that is in comparison to true designed sport bikes vs sport touring. 

Again, I'm not saying that the risers have ruined the handling or that they aren't comfortable at all, mostly just that after riding 1000 miles with them then riding one again without, the difference in handling feel for me was very surprising.  I think the real reason for my post is likely to hear from others who claim A:  They have either gone the same route as I'm thinking and determined that the stock set-up is better, or
B: have ridden their Connies longer and advise that the added comfort for longer rides is worth it, plus the handling manners are every bit as good once you commit to the risers.

Offline Conhardcore

• 2011 Concours 14 Black
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2011, 08:10:12 AM »
You can remove them yourself, no need to wait for the dealer to do it at first service, they will charge you to it, Only 3 bolts holds each riser on, did the dealer give you the stock bolts?

No they didn't, and I was a bit worried about that.  I will check with them today and see if they still have them and if they don't I will have to find some new ones.  Do you ride with or without risers?

Offline CrashGordon

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2011, 09:57:46 AM »
I have the Gen-Mar risers--I put them on about two weeks after buying the bike. I can tell you that my back could not handle long rides without the risers. 

Offline tbanzer

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2011, 10:59:29 AM »
I had Heli 2" higher and 3/4" back installed on my 2011 C14 before I took delivery, thinking it would make the bike fit me better and not affect handling.  I'm 6' tall, 185lbs with a 32" inseam and 34" sleeve.  I feel kind of bunched up on the bike with and while it does handle great, I rode one today with the factory bar setting and was surprised at how much better I felt like the bike handled.  Much quicker turn in and overall gave me quite a bit more confidence to take turns and curves more agressively.  I actually felt like the seating position and the bars very much "fit" me vs kind of sitting on top of the bars.  Seems like risers along with windshields is one of those very frequent mod's for this bike.  I'm thinking of removing mine at the first service but curious how many ride, particularly long distances, with the stock height set up.  I'm also of course hesitant to remove them and then regret it, but my thinking at this time is that to get maximum performance and capabilities from the bike, it's how it should be set up.  Any input is welcome!  Thanks
That was my first thought when I added Murphs 2 " risers. I have been riding the bike for about 400 miles now and still not sure I like the feeling on turn in. It almost feels like the difference between new and worn out tires on turn in. Just put new tires last night going to try with and without the risers when  I get a chance.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2011, 11:10:05 AM »

What seat are you using CHC? I put the Heli risers on mine after I got my Corbin seat because the Corbin pushes me further back in the seat and made the reach even further. I'm 5'8" and really like having my risers on.  :thumbs:

Offline Conhardcore

• 2011 Concours 14 Black
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2011, 01:04:14 PM »

What seat are you using CHC? I put the Heli risers on mine after I got my Corbin seat because the Corbin pushes me further back in the seat and made the reach even further. I'm 5'8" and really like having my risers on.  :thumbs:

ZG-Stock for now.  Funny though, the one I rode yesterday with the stock height bars had a Corbin seat on it, (about 3/4" lower) and it rode and felt perfect.  It did make me think though how the overall package would work out.  The good news is that I'm 99% sure that I'll be ordering a Corbin for my bike.
Also agree that "Black is the fasted C14":)

Offline Conhardcore

• 2011 Concours 14 Black
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2011, 01:09:22 PM »
That was my first thought when I added Murphs 2 " risers. I have been riding the bike for about 400 miles now and still not sure I like the feeling on turn in. It almost feels like the difference between new and worn out tires on turn in. Just put new tires last night going to try with and without the risers when  I get a chance.

Banzer that is an uncanny comment re: new and worn out tires.  The 08 I rode with the stock height bars had well worn tires and mine of course are brand new, yet with the risers, I do find myself feeling like they are well worn tires vs new.   I have to believe it's due to being more above the bars.
I went for a approx 50 mile ride this morning.  Great ride, bike handles great as always, so it always gets me thinking as to whether or not to switch them, not having the opportunity to do a back to back test like I did yesterday.  Still no question that sharp turn in's take a bit more attention than the subtle counter steer of the lower bars.  I'm still thinking that I may give up whatever measure of comfort, (and still not sure there is that much) for the best handling performance this incredible motorcycle will give.

Offline Conhardcore

• 2011 Concours 14 Black
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2011, 01:10:41 PM »
I have the Gen-Mar risers--I put them on about two weeks after buying the bike. I can tell you that my back could not handle long rides without the risers.

Thanks Crash.  Thats the kind of feedback I'm looking for.  What is your height etc?

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2011, 01:36:57 PM »
ZG-Stock for now.  Funny though, the one I rode yesterday with the stock height bars had a Corbin seat on it, (about 3/4" lower) and it rode and felt perfect.  It did make me think though how the overall package would work out.  The good news is that I'm 99% sure that I'll be ordering a Corbin for my bike.
Also agree that "Black is the fasted C14"
:)

:goodpost:   8)

Offline JoeR

• COG 9284 / AMA 668669
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2011, 01:43:18 PM »

I'm 6', 186, 34 sleeve and inseam.  I tried risers for about two hundred miles, took them off and returned them.  I felt the stock seat was pushing me into the handlebars, I put a Sargent seat on, solved my fitment problems.  I've made a few trips now with no discomfort. 

Offline Conhardcore

• 2011 Concours 14 Black
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2011, 01:52:02 PM »
Joe-figurred there had to be someone who had given it a try and decided factory was best.  I get that same feeling of being cramped with them up and back.  I've also looked at Sargent seats along with the Corbin.  I like them both.  Do you find handling to be improved with the bars back at factory specs?

Offline CrashGordon

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2011, 06:39:44 AM »
Thanks Crash.  Thats the kind of feedback I'm looking for.  What is your height etc?
I'm 5'10" but I have a 30" inseam. That leaves me with shortish legs and a longer torso. Within a couple days of buying the bike, I rode to see my sister in Waco (about 120 miles one way). When I got back, I took my gear off, ran to my computer and got online to buy risers. It's made a huge difference in comfort for me. I can't say that I really noticed a difference in handling. There was a much bigger difference noted when I wore out the stock tires and went to PR2s.

Offline Conhardcore

• 2011 Concours 14 Black
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2011, 06:56:46 AM »
Thanks again Crash.  I should have at least shopped the varioius riser options.  The Gen Mars are 1/2" shorter than the Heli's at 1.5" vs 2" and I've seen others at 1".  I'm sure there is a place where they would be dialed in perfectly but I guess 2" is at the tall end of the extension for my taste.  Adjustable would be nice 8)  Fully lowered for maxiumum performance in the twisities and fully raised for boring straight line runs down the super slab.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2011, 07:23:10 AM »
I'm 6', 186, 34 sleeve and inseam.  I tried risers for about two hundred miles, took them off and returned them.  I felt the stock seat was pushing me into the handlebars, I put a Sargent seat on, solved my fitment problems.  I've made a few trips now with no discomfort.

:goodpost:   8)                  (Sorry, ZG, I just couldn't resist)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2011, 07:37:47 AM »
I'm 5'10" but I have a 30" inseam. That leaves me with shortish legs and a longer torso.

Kewl- nice to meet a fellow "distort" :)   I am 5'7", but have like a 28" inseam.  Like you, I have a long torso and short legs/arms.  There is no way I could ride the Concours without bar risers (and also bike/seat lowering).  Even the Heli's are not far back enough for me so I am kinda stuck (I am eyeing those wedges things, hoping that little extra will help).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc