Author Topic: favorite smartphone "motorcycle/gps/tracking" app?  (Read 2159 times)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
favorite smartphone "motorcycle/gps/tracking" app?
« on: February 21, 2013, 11:32:56 PM »
I've been playing with a few apps and liking "glympse".  But here's the thing, it only tracks one for 4 hours.  Is there an app like spot, that allows web users to see a history of travels and not just our travel in real time?  :D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline udoggie

Re: favorite smartphone "motorcycle/gps/tracking" app?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 01:14:09 AM »
Depends on the phone.  iOS?  Android?

A few that I'm aware of for Android are;

My Tracks & TrackMe Personal GPS Tracker

I use TrackMe, which is nice because it's easy to give out the url for others to view, but you can then change it later if you don't want them to always have access.

While not a tracker, "Diablo Super Biker" is pretty cool too, graphing lean angle & speed, as well as overlaying it on a map.

Jeff

(No clue about iOS apps for this.)
Aloha, OR.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 04:02:03 AM »
I've been playing with a few apps and liking "glympse".  But here's the thing, it only tracks one for 4 hours.  Is there an app like spot, that allows web users to see a history of travels and not just our travel in real time?  :D
You could ask the cops what they use.  :(

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 08:19:41 AM »
I use My Tracks when I'm on the bike, so I can find out where I was.  I haven't used it a lot yet, but from what I understand, you can use the files it generates in Google Earth to replay your route.  I like that it shows elevation changes as well as where you've been.  It even records your location when you don't have cell service, which often happens when I ride.  I find it handy when I'm with a group (and not leading) so I can see where we went during the day.

For real GPS duty, I use Copilot, which has its own maps, so I don't have to rely on having a cell signal.  (OOH!  Look!  There's a map update!) 
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 09:59:36 AM »
I use My Tracks when I'm on the bike, so I can find out where I was.  I haven't used it a lot yet, but from what I understand, you can use the files it generates in Google Earth to replay your route.  I like that it shows elevation changes as well as where you've been.  It even records your location when you don't have cell service, which often happens when I ride.  I find it handy when I'm with a group (and not leading) so I can see where we went during the day.

For real GPS duty, I use Copilot, which has its own maps, so I don't have to rely on having a cell signal.  (OOH!  Look!  There's a map update!)

Thanks!  Is there a way to make the MyTracks app show people on the web in real time where I'm at such as Latitude, thats the problem I'm having, all the apps I find that show in real time....time out after a 4 hour or so period. So people can see in real time where i'm at but there's no history like spot locator. Or maybe i should run a real time app PLUS a Mytracks app..... sh*t maybe I'm just getting greedy hehehe
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2013, 10:54:43 AM »
Thanks!  Is there a way to make the MyTracks app show people on the web in real time where I'm at such as Latitude, thats the problem I'm having, all the apps I find that show in real time....time out after a 4 hour or so period. So people can see in real time where i'm at but there's no history like spot locator. Or maybe i should run a real time app PLUS a Mytracks app..... sh*t maybe I'm just getting greedy hehehe

Making sure the ladies know where you are at all times? 8) Does Theresa know about this? ;D

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2013, 07:12:08 PM »
Thanks!  Is there a way to make the MyTracks app show people on the web in real time where I'm at such as Latitude, thats the problem I'm having, all the apps I find that show in real time....time out after a 4 hour or so period.
I haven't tried to do that, since I usually don't want people to know where I am when I ride.   ;D
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157