Author Topic: Guy tried to run me over  (Read 1697 times)

Offline Big Red

• Arena
Guy tried to run me over
« on: January 22, 2023, 04:38:29 PM »
Guy who got off the freeway decided to get back on, completely not seeing the giant man on the giant bike. He hit me right on the crash bar, thankfully. I kept the bike upright. My first motorcycle accident. It’s a bit freaky.

Untitled by bigangryscot, on Flickr

Untitled by bigangryscot, on Flickr
2010 C14, Shoodaben Engineering MRP Flash, Delkevic slip-on, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, highway pegs, tail tidy, AST peg lowering brackets, LED switchbacks all the way around, Bright2Wheels tail light, StompGrips, custom seat, 2015 C14 vented and blacked out windshield, Dunlop RS3s, and a Fat Ninja hat.

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
Re: Guy tried to run me over
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2023, 06:07:12 PM »
How in the h%#€ does that happen?
Glad to hear you’re OK after you pulled over and cleaned out your shorts.
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2023, 06:50:34 PM »
This is how that happens. I think the dude was going to run, too. He looked like he was going to turn left where I started, then went straight. Saw me coming, then changed his mind. Posted for educational purposes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ub86T7w8fw
2010 C14, Shoodaben Engineering MRP Flash, Delkevic slip-on, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, highway pegs, tail tidy, AST peg lowering brackets, LED switchbacks all the way around, Bright2Wheels tail light, StompGrips, custom seat, 2015 C14 vented and blacked out windshield, Dunlop RS3s, and a Fat Ninja hat.

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2023, 07:21:38 PM »
100% had no intention of stopping otherwise he would have followed you to a safe place to stop.
Would like to have heard that conversation…I think.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2023, 04:33:28 AM »
How in the h%#€ does that happen?
Glad to hear you’re OK after you pulled over and cleaned out your shorts.

Pretty darn easy to happen unfortunately with all the fidiots on the road these days.  You need Spidey senses try to avoid them but even then it's not enough.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2023, 03:24:35 PM »
Holy cow! Glad you are OK. You asked about how he could not "see" you. I drove a 40 foot dual axle 110 foot RED ariel ladder truck with enough lights to blot out the sun and horns and sirens loud enough to wake the dead and I still got hit and was constantly avoiding morons intent on hitting me.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2023, 03:40:37 PM »
When you don't look, you don't see.  It really is that simple.

I am glad you are OK and there is minimal damage and you can hold the driver accountable.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2023, 02:29:30 PM »
Thanks to the dash cam, things are going really well. First payout was made already. Pics of the bike going to them this afternoon for review. Y'all need to get one. Even cheap chineseium is better than nothing.

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2023, 04:51:56 PM »
Gotta ask, were there any other witnesses stop to help you out?

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2023, 05:19:12 AM »
Nope. No one else stopped.

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2023, 06:40:14 AM »
People are too self centred. They don't want the hassle of being involved, until it's their turn and nobody wants to help them. THEN it's a drama. ::)
I always stop and give both parties my phone number in case they want a witness.
In one instance my statement made the crashers insurance agree that they were liable.
In another instance the driver at fault got a 6 month driving ban and a big fine, as well as having to pay for repairs to the crashees car.
The fine was due to not having insurance which is a legal requirement here in the UK.

Glad yer OK. ;D It is ****ing scary when it happens.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2023, 09:13:52 AM »
Yeah, it was pretty freaky. While minor, this was my first accident. Other that dropping it in the driveway, of course. I definitely need to wire up my rear camera and get one for my ol' lady's bike.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2023, 06:35:50 PM »

In fairness, seeing the video, from many angles it might not look like a collision but just an avoidance.  You didn't go down (which is pretty typical for a motorcycle hitting something).  And I have to believe/hope some would have stopped had you been down.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2023, 09:24:31 AM »
It all ended up working out at any rate. Insurance issues are almost done already. Yay video!

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2023, 02:41:10 PM »
Sadly, you are correct about videos. My wife had backed out of a parking space and was putting it in drive when another woman sped around the corner, was going too fast and blasted into my wife's car. She was going too fast because she could not see because there was a huge mound of plowed snow on the corner of the parking row. My wife was judged at fault as the woman lied and said my wife was in motion and backed into the other car that she claimed was stopped, how you can think that a car going backwards from a parking space can do that much damage is beyond me. A video would have solved it all.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2023, 05:20:52 PM »
What is astonishing is how quickly, easily, and without guilt or remorse that people can just lie.  It is not like humans haven't been lying as long as we could speak, but I could swear that each decade it just gets worse and worse.

I hate having to assume [a large and ever-growing proportion of] people have no morals and are out to screw me.

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2023, 02:58:54 AM »
I trust people I don't know (and a few I do know) about as far as I could spit a Rhino.
Lying and selfishness seems to be the new way to be. Whatever happened to honesty, integrity, and taking responsibility for your own actions?  :'(

I got tail-ended (in the car) 15 years ago. The guy who hit me didn't want insurance companies to be involved. He offered me 400UKPounds to not go via the insurance and I declined and insisted on getting his details and gave him mine. I also took several photos of the crash, the damage, his tag number, etc. The repair cost to my car was 1600UKPounds and about 3 weeks after it all got fixed I got a real nasty phone call from the idiot driver. It turns out that it was a company car and their insurance company had decided to no longer insure him due to him having had several other crashes prior to hitting me, so his employers had laid him off. His attitude was that it was MY fault he lost his job! Well, I blew my top at him and told him that he needed to grow the **** up and start taking responsibility for his own life and his own screw-ups. He hung up on me. <LOL> I have since given up on being nice to "entitled" people and liars.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2023, 10:23:18 AM »
Absolutely agree with you Boomer. Reagan said it best and I have applied this most recently in dealing with healthcare and all associated dealings, "trust, but verify". It's essentially a diplomatic way of saying what you said and did.

This behavior should not surprise us at all.

There is this thing that says "innocent until proven guilty", so I guess just deny, lie and never admit to anything even it it's caught on video.