Author Topic: Pretty frickin quiet if you ask me...  (Read 4318 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Pretty frickin quiet if you ask me...
« on: June 03, 2022, 05:38:44 PM »
What's up with everyone?  Plans, dreams, etc..
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
Re: Pretty frickin quiet if you ask me...
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2022, 06:51:10 PM »
Riding maybe?
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2022, 08:31:24 PM »
I would think so but pulled the bike out of the garage to ride it and work called...da**it.

Will work on my grandson's Jeep Comanche brakes tomorrow.

Had some good Jack Daniels Rye whisky tonight though.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
  • 2001 Concours, ~35K miles
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2022, 10:09:09 PM »
Watching HBO's Staircase

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2022, 01:04:13 AM »
What's up with everyone?  Plans, dreams, etc..

Just work, work, more work, and rest recovering from work.  I got in the special glue to fix the pannier handle cover but just haven't been motivated to use it yet.  The few times I had, it was so hot outside it sucked the life out of me.  Nice ride last weekend, though... hopefully will ride tomorrow for a while.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2022, 04:46:09 AM »
Supposed to be nicer in the way of temps for a few days at least.  Get that glue on. 

I've got small glove boxes on the Indian.  I'm going to put locks on them today.  At least with the Indian there is no shortage of accessories you can add.

Offline Stasch

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2022, 05:56:01 AM »
COG National starts 6/6 - Could be quiet because many are en-route or preparing to do so.
Stan Visser - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - > C10 STUFF FOR SALE - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2022, 10:27:41 AM »
Spent Thurs & Fri (Queens Jubilee 4 day weekend 😁) fitting my Maxton rebuilt, revalved, resprung, reconditioned ZX14 front forks and fixing busted plastic (those flimsy well nut pieces) on my C14. Also fitted a better condition front fender and some Titanium caliper bolts. Once I get the fat boy spring (160N/mm) on my Ohlins shock will be fitting that too.

Removed the Delkevic mufflers from my C10 replacing them with Motad N-Eta which I have always preferred. They currently smell odd because I painted them with black stove enamel but sound and look good.

Finally, as I went to close the garage door, the cable that connects to the counterbalancer spring snapped, so now I have to wait until Tuesday to get the garage door fixed so can't get out for a ride. 🙄

George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2022, 03:04:49 PM »
I hate it when garage doors go bad..  Was it a torsion type or one of those long springs on the older doors?

On a high note I got one of the locks installed.  Twenty minute job they say for two locks.  Took me a couple of hours and a trip to the hardware store for one.  I'll work on the other one tomorrow.

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2022, 08:54:42 AM »
Work, mostly. Installed Murphy’s bearing shifter kit yesterday. Went for a little ride with the ol’ lady and the boy by Saguaro Lake. About to head out to my buddy’s house to go work on the Chevy C20 conversion.
2010 C14, Shoodaben Engineering MRP Flash, Delkevic slip-on, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, highway pegs, tail tidy, AST peg lowering brackets, LED switchbacks all the way around, Bright2Wheels tail light, StompGrips, custom seat, 2015 C14 vented and blacked out windshield, Dunlop RS3s, and a Fat Ninja hat.

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2022, 09:05:17 AM »
Finally got my bike inspected for 2022. Need to wash and change oil soon.

Got a extremely tiny fireglass splinter stuck in my finger. Can't seem to get that out.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2022, 09:21:14 AM »
Finally got my bike inspected [...]

I have never done that before :)
I suppose I could get in trouble some day.  But hey, 11 years and no issue so far.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2022, 03:14:05 PM »
You haven't had the bike inspected in 11 years!  Wow.  I don't think the cops in VA really care about MC inspections that much.  I'm paranoid about it but that's me.  LOL

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2022, 03:53:19 PM »
Inspection? What the heck is that?!?
2010 C14, Shoodaben Engineering MRP Flash, Delkevic slip-on, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, highway pegs, tail tidy, AST peg lowering brackets, LED switchbacks all the way around, Bright2Wheels tail light, StompGrips, custom seat, 2015 C14 vented and blacked out windshield, Dunlop RS3s, and a Fat Ninja hat.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2022, 04:13:26 PM »
You haven't had the bike inspected in 11 years!  Wow. "

I guess it is technically 10, since it came to me with the inspection when I bought it new.  It was on the fork tube and I removed it after a few years (which was a pain).

I don't think the cops in VA really care about MC inspections that much.  I'm paranoid about it but that's me.  LOL

They rarely look.  Of course, I have only been stopped once, and it wasn't noticed.  If it were, it would be $81 total for the fine and "court costs", I believe no points since it is not a "moving violation".   I find inspections a total pain in the ass, and a joke.  I inspect the bike far better and more often.

The car, yeah, I get that inspected.  The sticker is far more visible.

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2022, 06:35:43 PM »
Motorcycle inspection is always Quick and painless. I just go to my local gas station repair shop. And you’re right I inspect my motorcycle far more thoroughly than an inspector would.

Inspections are somewhat useless but I have seen some crappy cars from Maryland that drive around in Virginia and DC. Maryland does not require annual inspections and so They have the shittiest old,  busted cars in the area. I bet a lot of **** in their cars are broken and not safe for the road.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2022, 07:46:27 PM »
And you have no opinion on this...lol.  I get both of mine inspected by the dealer.  It's easy and it doesn't cost me anything......yet.  I inspect the vehicles myself so I know what needs to be done.

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2022, 04:43:31 AM »
I hate it when garage doors go bad..  Was it a torsion type or one of those long springs on the older doors?
Torsion type. It's the cable that links the door to the torsion spring that snapped.
I can open the door, but it's damned hard to lift and then I have to hold it open whilst someone props it up.
The repair man is here tomorrow, so hopefully he can fix it and I can finally ride again for the first time since October.

As for Inspections, here we have compulsory annual inspections (MOT Test) and they are pretty thorough.
Any safety related stuff is checked and on later vehicles (except motorcycles) the emissions are also tested.
It's a hassle, but I kinda like it as it forces people to fix or scrap their vehicle every year, so we see far less rolling death-traps here than I have seen in the US.

Like most of you I check all my vehicles far more often than that, but we are a minority.
Many vehicle owners will only get their vehicle serviced when it forces them to (modern Mercs actually put the engine into limp mode if you exceed the service interval by 1000 miles) and they NEVER ever check if their turn-signals, brake lights, headlights, ABS systems, brakes, or tyres are in a functioning, roadworthy, SAFE condition.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2022, 07:55:49 AM »
Been riding a lot, 15,000 miles so far this year. Rode my BMW R1200RT to California with some friends in April, 4800 in 13 days. The wife and I attended an MSTA rally in Harrison, AR in May me on the C14 she in her jeep. We are packing now for the MSTA annual STAR in Cape Girardeau, MO then up to La Crosse, WI.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2022, 08:58:52 AM »
I don't have a garage but my sister does. She has this old system from the early 90's.

Just a couple of weeks ago a cable broke. She has 2 springs on 2 sides of the door, and 2 cables one attached to each spring. One of those cables broke. Is that what you are speaking of? She can still use the door.

Torsion type. It's the cable that links the door to the torsion spring that snapped.
I can open the door, but it's damned hard to lift and then I have to hold it open whilst someone props it up.
The repair man is here tomorrow, so hopefully he can fix it and I can finally ride again for the first time since October.

As for Inspections, here we have compulsory annual inspections (MOT Test) and they are pretty thorough.
Any safety related stuff is checked and on later vehicles (except motorcycles) the emissions are also tested.
It's a hassle, but I kinda like it as it forces people to fix or scrap their vehicle every year, so we see far less rolling death-traps here than I have seen in the US.

Like most of you I check all my vehicles far more often than that, but we are a minority.
Many vehicle owners will only get their vehicle serviced when it forces them to (modern Mercs actually put the engine into limp mode if you exceed the service interval by 1000 miles) and they NEVER ever check if their turn-signals, brake lights, headlights, ABS systems, brakes, or tyres are in a functioning, roadworthy, SAFE condition.