Author Topic: What goes with tonic water?  (Read 9406 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
What goes with tonic water?
« on: September 09, 2011, 05:07:49 PM »
Ok, I've got this fizzy making machine and one of the flavors is tonic water.  What goes with tonic water besides gin?  Not much on gin as both me and my father-in-law had way too much of it many years ago.  I've got Vodka a plenty  and loads of other stuff but not sure what's good with it.  Any help appreciated....
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline GeeBeav

Re: What goes with tonic water?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 05:39:01 PM »
I've heard of vodka/tonic but never tried it - go ahead, can't hurt ya  ;D
In the days of my youth, I was told what it means to be a man.

Offline Timalan

• www.thismotorcyclelife.net
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 05:58:26 PM »
I love gin and tonics. Fresh lime squeeze. Some simple syrup and top with tonic. Good stuff!
Hate gin. But some thing works in a gin and tonic.
Did a quick search. Bourbon whiskey scotch vodka all have a tonic recipes

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 06:25:40 PM »
Ok, I've got the fizzy tonic water made and have added vodka and a splash of lime juice (sorry, no real limes available)....not bad.  I'd drink it again.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 07:28:07 PM »
Throw a little cranberry juice in there too Jim...  :)

Offline Boomer343

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2011, 07:35:16 PM »
Some perverts like tonic with their scotch but I like it straight up after rinsing the glass with some spring water and dumping out the water. Course if I was drinking blends then I'd consider the tonic....VBG

I'll second the vodka tonic especially on a hot day. I'll even drink tonic straight while sitting on the beach.

Tonic is good in place of the hair of the dog the morning after......

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2011, 08:09:14 PM »
Malaria. Tonic water contains quinine (the source of the bitter taste), which used to be a primary treatment for malaria. So if you have a supply of tonic on hand it would only make sense to get the disease that it treats. That way you can mix the tonic water with the alcohol of your choice and tell everyone it is medication. You may even be able to beat a D.U.I. with that story situation.

Now the downside to all of that is that quinine is only a treatment for malaria, not a true cure. So you will have to continue to consume it for the rest of your lif.... wait, that might not be a downside at all!

:D

Brian

Ok, I've got this fizzy making machine and one of the flavors is tonic water.  What goes with tonic water besides gin?  Not much on gin as both me and my father-in-law had way too much of it many years ago.  I've got Vodka a plenty  and loads of other stuff but not sure what's good with it.  Any help appreciated....
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2011, 08:23:13 PM »
Thanks, Brian, you make my drinking worthwhile.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2011, 08:30:30 PM »
Glad to help if I can Jim.

Want me to look around for any other diseases / conditions you might want to treat with other drugs? Heroin was initially used as a cough suppressant....

Brian

Thanks, Brian, you make my drinking worthwhile.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2011, 09:42:21 PM »
Glad to help if I can Jim.

Want me to look around for any other diseases / conditions you might want to treat with other drugs? Heroin was initially used as a cough suppressant....

Brian

Got anything for Neurontin?  What does that go well with?

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2011, 10:01:31 AM »
I actually just like tonic water by itself for some odd reason.  Schweppes Bitter Lemon is just tonic water with lemon in it, a very nice refreshing drink.  But yes I like gin & tonics too, problem is after I've had five or six they leave a really bitter taste in my mouth.  This is why I've been sticking to wine, diet beer and scotch for my drink of choice.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2011, 10:03:25 AM »
Excellent!  So many choices, so little time.

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2011, 11:16:46 AM »
I'm looking for a tonic water that isn't LOADED with high fructose corn syrup. I would think you used regular sugar? You might have something here.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2011, 11:45:37 AM »
I'm looking for a tonic water that isn't LOADED with high fructose corn syrup. I would think you used regular sugar? You might have something here.

This system is from Sodastream...  It comes in a kit.  The tonic soda mix does not use high fructose corn syrup.

http://www.sodastreamusa.com/

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2011, 11:49:17 AM »
Some perverts like tonic with their scotch but I like it straight up after rinsing the glass with some spring water and dumping out the water. Course if I was drinking blends then I'd consider the tonic....VBG

I'll second the vodka tonic especially on a hot day. I'll even drink tonic straight while sitting on the beach.

Tonic is good in place of the hair of the dog the morning after......

What is wrong with being a pervert?
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2011, 12:16:03 PM »
What is wrong with being a pervert?

Nothing in my book....

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2011, 01:04:25 PM »
Only thing that goes with my tonic water at my house is my Nikon, studio lighting, and a slice of lemon  ;D

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2011, 02:36:46 PM »
Well I had to go look that one up; it seems it is used primarily in the treatment of seizures, neuropathic pain (as opposed to neurotic pain I suppose) and hot flashes. So of those three things, I would recommend hot flashes- they seem to be the least undesirable of the three things mentioned.

Ever see that comic who has a routine about Adam negotiating with God about what 'downsides' man and woman will each have? Kinda' funny and it ends with something like: OK, OK, we'll take bald and color blind but they get that menstruation thing!

Brian

Got anything for Neurontin?  What does that go well with?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2011, 05:18:13 PM »
Well I had to go look that one up; it seems it is used primarily in the treatment of seizures, neuropathic pain (as opposed to neurotic pain I suppose) and hot flashes. So of those three things, I would recommend hot flashes- they seem to be the least undesirable of the three things mentioned.

Brian

It's for a pinched nerve...and to tell you the truth I would rather have hot flashes than the issues I'm having with it.  It's affecting my riding as in not as much.  Which means I'm on here more which can be discerned as either a bad thing or good thing.

Offline mr t

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2011, 08:22:16 AM »
Try rum and tonic with a wedge of lemon. Yummy! Try two!!!!!

Tom Taylor COG#7173