Author Topic: Larry Leranth  (Read 3778 times)

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
Larry Leranth
« on: October 28, 2013, 09:23:10 PM »
I met Larry at a rally many moons ago. Though we lived far apart, we meshed like brothers. He was a Cheese-head, I was born and raised to the west of him in MN. You can think upper midwest humor if you will, those that are from there will understand our brand of stoic laughs. The movie "Fargo" explain things?

Larry was the 'Sconsin rep for the club for a few years. Advanced to become the NC Area Director prior to handing off to Ken McKlurg 3-4 years ago.

Larry was diagnosed with ALS (Lou Gerig's Disease) earlier this year.

I flew up to Waukesha to see Larry a couple of months ago. We all had a nice meal, chatted about the price of wax worms at the bait store, Walleye fishin, home brews and "korny' kegs, possibility of landing a 'small' plane in his back yard, and how to fit crash bars to his wheel chair.

Got an email from Larry this evening, I had no idea it was from Sue his wife. The email asked for my phone number. Sue called me back, she said Larry passed away today.

Rick
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline timsatx

• Arena
Re: Larry Leranth
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 09:44:07 PM »
Wow, sorry to hear about that. Was his passing natural? That is faster than I have ever heard. Usually it takes years.

Offline 2fast

• COG #6497, North Central Area Director
    • C-10 Heat Shield photos
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 09:58:59 PM »
Very sorry to hear this, but expected it to be coming soon. A few of us went over to visit him during the Hunt for Red October a couple of weeks ago. Larry was a great guy, and I was honored to have known him.

Ride the back roads Larry.
Brian in Minnesota
Red hair and black leather, my favorite color scheme. Richard Thompson

Need Heat Shields for the C-10? 86-93 Front Brake upgrade brackets?  I got em! Click the little green globe under my Avatar on the left.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 04:39:24 AM »
Thanks, Rick.  Sorry to hear about that.  His pain is over now.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2013, 05:51:14 AM »
So sorry to here about this too.  My dad passed away from ALS two years back in April.  I sent Larry a few long emails to to hopefully help him along his journey.  I have been working on another one that won't be sent.  ALS is really a tough disease that sweeps along pretty quick once it is diagnosed.  It takes your body from you, but you're still there.  There are currently no known cures or even anything that even remotely slows it's progression down.  Looking back, my dad had the signs maybe ten years before he passed.  He was only diagnosed with it about 3 years before he passed.

We talked of trikes and Spyders just like my dad and I did because he wanted to keep riding for a while.  He even had his eye on a 2009 yellow Spyder with an automatic trans at a local shop near him.  I don't think he ever got one because it weakened him so fast.

I like that phrase so I'll repeat it: "Ride the back roads Larry".
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2013, 07:20:48 AM »
Just saw this. Didn't expect this so soon, but knew it was coming.
I've also tried to keep in touch with Larry. Now I wish I had done a better job of it.
Larry was a great guy to be around. I always enjoyed being around him. Did a lot for the club.
Hard to believe that he was riding with us at the National in Arkansas, and now he's gone.
My prayers go to his wife as she has had to deal with this Disease previously..

I like that phrase too but think it needs a COG tweak:   "Ride the "Twisty" back roads Larry".

Ride safe, Ted

Offline Cookie

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2013, 07:34:44 AM »
Thanks for the posting Rick. Larry was one of the good guys. Always great to be around. Someone you wanted to spend time with. He will be missed.

I was one of the group that went with 2Fast to see Larry two weeks ago. All of us knew he didn't have much time left. I'm glad we had a chance to see him for the last time.

Larry's ALS progressed quickly. It's a horrible disease. Trapped in a non-responsive body, yet mentally aware of everything. At least his pain is over.

Thank you to everyone who donated money. Maybe, with enough resources, better treatments or a cure can be found.

Godspeed Larry. Until we meet again.

Jim
01 Concours - Bluto
04 CBR 600 F4i
05 FJR 1300 ABS

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2013, 09:32:19 AM »
RIP Larry.  :chugbeer:

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2013, 04:10:05 PM »
Ride on.
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2013, 11:58:09 PM »
The service will be this Thursday. Weather prevents me from attending  :(

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/jsonline/obituary.aspx?n=Larry-Leranth&pid=167767848

Leranth, Larry Of Big Bend passed away peacefully at home surrounded by the love of his family Mon., Oct. 28, 2013, age 64. Lovingly survived by his wife of 40 years, Sue. Loving father of Erica (Jack) Rondeau and Scott (Gina) Leranth. Proud grandpa of Camden, Elise and Lia. Beloved brother of Lynne (Gene) Neyhart, Lois (Dale) Poisson and Linda (Jay) Carlson. Larry was loved and will be remembered by many nieces, nephews, other relatives and friends. Visitation will be held on Thurs., Oct. 31, at ST. JOSEPH CATHOLIC CHURCH, S89 W22650 Milwaukee Ave., Big Bend, from 9:00 AM until the celebration of the Mass of Christian Burial at 10:30 AM. Interment 2:00 PM Southern Wisconsin Veterans Memorial Cemetery, Union Grove. In lieu of flowers, memorials in Larry's name may be made to the A.L.S. Wisconsin Chapter. Proud U.S. Air Force veteran. Larry was a longtime dedicated employee of WE Energies. He was an active member of Concours Owners Group. Special thank you to the staff at the VA Medical Center and Allay Hospice for their compassionate care.

Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2013, 04:49:35 AM »
 :'(
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Chris Baum

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2013, 10:18:40 PM »
I met Larry for the first time at the 2002 COG Rally in Montrose, Colorado.  Every since that meeting I have always considered him a very wonderful friend and rider. He was instrumental in helping Jerry Layman and myself host the 2006 COG national rally in Hill City.  It would not have been possible without his help and guidance.  You will be missed but remembered in the hearts of many.  Thank you Larry!!
Chris Baum - COG #3088 - 1986 Concours
"A Nebraskan Looking for Twisty Roads!!!!"
2006 Co-COG National Rally Director -
"OTP" Host (2007-09-11-14)     IBA #7474