Author Topic: Post your light bar photos?  (Read 26154 times)

Offline timsatx

• Arena
Re: Post your light bar photos?
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2012, 08:14:12 AM »
MR. SNARF, man don't go giving him a big head  ;)

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2012, 08:20:41 AM »
MR. SNARF, man don't go giving him a big head  ;)
You have to admit; it does have a nice ring to it  :chugbeer:
I'm kinda leaning towards "all hail king Snarf"  :hail: I think that title is reserved for SISF
Tony, that is a great idea to keep from mucking up the paint, I have had my brackets off many times and have not seen any noticeable damage; an ounce of prevention is worth a ton of cure
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline Stasch

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2012, 10:30:08 AM »
Here's mine:

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2248100280089716678qsvFJT?vhost=rides

use the 'Prev' and 'Next' buttons to see additional views as well as details on the homemade bracket.
Stan Visser - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - > C10 STUFF FOR SALE - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2012, 01:58:18 PM »
Here's mine:
http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2248100280089716678qsvFJT?vhost=rides

What are they and where did the pre-made brackets come from?
What is it biting onto on the bike (would it matter if it was an '87 vs. an '03)?
Whats the center to center distance between the threaded rod.?
What size and length threaded rod?
What size and length square tube
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline Stasch

« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2012, 03:08:22 PM »
Here's the recipe:

Obtain the following parts, available at HD or Lowes or any Hardware

- 1 aluminum 36" square tube from Home Depot.
   (I made 2 lightbars for 2 bikes out of it - a C10 and a Voyager XII)

- 2 beam clamps (electrical section I believe) Less than $2 ea.

- threaded rod to match the beam clamp holes - enough length to reach the bottom bar of fairing stay (see text below).

- 4 regular nuts and 6 washers to fit threaded rod.

- 2 nyloc nuts to fit the threaded rod.

Holes in square tube for threaded rod mounting are 3 3/4" apart measured O.C.

The threaded rods are 4 3/16" to 4 1/4" long.  There is some adjustment available in them depending how far up you thread them into the beam clamp and how thick your washers are on the bottom.  Measure twice cut once!  Run a nut onto the rod BEFORE you cut it with a hacksaw or dremel tool.  Then you can lightly dress up the jags of the cut on a grinder, backing the nut back off to straighten any thread boogering.

The bar itself is 19" long.  This could vary for you depending on the size of the lights you select.

To get the holes right for the rod, cut the tube to length, measure and marked the exact middle of the tube.  (9.5" for mine).

Then I measured half of the 3 3/4" to the left and right of the center mark at 1 7/8" each way. 

Use a point punch to make the holes exactly where you want them, centered on the tube.

I used stainless hardware whenever possible due to weather exposure.

Assemble as shown in pic:  http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2324963860089716678OgEjAi?vhost=rides

The beam clamps fasten the assembly to the bottom front bar of the fairing stay.  I believe that part of the fairing stay is the same for all C10's.  Measure first so you are sure to get the right length threaded rod.  I don't remember if I had to remove the fairing access panel on the bottom for this to fit, its been a while.  With ratchet drive extenstions, I was able to get a socket wrench on the beam clamp screws without removing any inner or outer fairing pieces.  Just had to turn the handlebars just right to provide a straight shot.

I also went to the trouble of drilling holes and running the wire to the lights inside the square tube to keep it neat.  That was the biggest job of the entire project.

Its worked out for over 5 years for me, and it cost about $30 - $35 for each of the 2 bikes including the lights.
Stan Visser - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - > C10 STUFF FOR SALE - Parts List

Offline elvin315

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2012, 04:45:32 PM »
Just a reminder that only driving lights should be mounted that high. Fog lights will throw a scattered pattern than blinds traffic and does little to improve your vision. Read more in the FAQs:

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=570.0

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2012, 06:15:50 AM »
Excellent write up - Thanks Stan!  Off to Lowes this weekend.  And, thanks for the fog light reminder too Elvin. 8)
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline Stasch

« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2012, 10:28:47 AM »
Yes Elvin is right - those are briving lights I used.

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2012, 12:21:30 PM »
Here is a link I had for a light bar. This one does not clamp to the crossbar.

http://rides.webshots.com/album/271748812GdeoCQ

Offline 2fast

• COG #6497, North Central Area Director
    • C-10 Heat Shield photos
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2012, 05:13:56 PM »
Here is a link I had for a light bar. This one does not clamp to the crossbar.

http://rides.webshots.com/album/271748812GdeoCQ

Nice link......looks familiar :o  Oh yeah, those are my photos of the bar I built :nuts:
Brian in Minnesota
Red hair and black leather, my favorite color scheme. Richard Thompson

Need Heat Shields for the C-10? 86-93 Front Brake upgrade brackets?  I got em! Click the little green globe under my Avatar on the left.

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2012, 09:58:26 AM »
Great, thanks for fessing up. I couldn't remember who did it. I would like to do it too but the problem is finding a light I would want to use that wouldn't cost a ton (for me).

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2012, 11:46:41 AM »
I am with you on that. I don't do enough night driving to spend 300plus on lights.
Wayne

Great, thanks for fessing up. I couldn't remember who did it. I would like to do it too but the problem is finding a light I would want to use that wouldn't cost a ton (for me).
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2012, 12:02:43 PM »
I am with you on that. I don't do enough night driving to spend 300plus on lights.
Wayne

I don't ride at night a lot either but they make you more noticeable from the front during the day.

Offline Tele130

« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2012, 12:15:34 PM »

The most expensive part of my set-up was the light bar. Sorry I can't remember who here made it but that was $75.00 shipped. The Hella driving lights I'm using we're under $40.00. I picked up a waterproof marine switch for $7.00. If your just wanting to be more visible, try a set of LED driving lights. Their all over eBay for under $30.00. I work the second shift so 50% of my riding is at night. The Hellas work very well. Clearwater and Piaa's will rock your wallet pretty hard. I couldn't do those either but the cheaper route has worked very well so far.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 10:52:37 PM by Tele130 »
Does this mean we get a "Re-Do" on life too?

Doug Colton
2006 Concours............nice ride!!!!!

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2012, 01:48:32 PM »
So what model lights are those?

Offline Tele130

« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2012, 02:26:48 PM »
So what model lights are those?

I'm at work right now but I'll get the info when I get home tonight.

Doug Colton

Offline Tele130

Doug Colton

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2012, 06:41:09 AM »
How well do those lights work? Are you running HID? I have HID and I know when I go out into the country at night it does a great job of lighting the road. I just wonder what else these might bring to the table besides being seen better? It would have probably helped when I was coming back from my SS1K ride when I was riding thru the Texas Hill Country at night on an old 2 lane road with grass about 4 feet tall on the side of the road. It scared the hell outta me waiting for some deer to run out in front of me.

Offline Tele130

« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2012, 07:31:15 AM »
How well do those lights work? Are you running HID? I have HID and I know when I go out into the country at night it does a great job of lighting the road. I just wonder what else these might bring to the table besides being seen better? It would have probably helped when I was coming back from my SS1K ride when I was riding thru the Texas Hill Country at night on an old 2 lane road with grass about 4 feet tall on the side of the road. It scared the hell outta me waiting for some deer to run out in front of me.

Yes, I'm also running a VVME 35W H.I.D. system.  The driving lights I posted will widen your field of vision greatly.  They will light up the side of the road by about 20 feet or so.  Mine are mounted down low which I like.  The driving lights light up the whole front (up close) and sides of the road.   They however DO NOT throw a laser beam of light down range........That's what the H.I.D. does :thumbs:  I don't worry about creatures at night any more.  I'll (hopefully) will see their eyes glowing long before I reach them :o ;D

Doug Colton

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2012, 09:42:17 AM »
Did you wire them separate with a switch or do they come on with the high beam? Do you run the HID on high to see way down the road and use the aux lights for up closer and ditches? Sounds like I may have to get some more lights!
Wayne
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1