Author Topic: fork oil drain plug  (Read 649 times)

Offline axel

fork oil drain plug
« on: January 19, 2021, 09:29:20 PM »
G'day. The service manual shows a picture of a fork leg with a drain plug at the bottom of the leg, but my '99 doesn't have one. There's nothing in the supplements that shows any change over the years.

My question is, might the forks be off something else (the bike was once written off due to a front end crash) or can someone direct me to where I might get info on this version of the forks?

hooroo
axel

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
  • 2001 Concours, ~35K miles
Re: fork oil drain plug
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2021, 10:36:19 PM »
My 2001 doesn't have a drain plug either. Perhaps after a certain year they discontinued them.

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2021, 11:00:58 PM »
Early models of the C-10 (1000-GTR/Concours) from 1986-1993 did have a fork oil drain screw. From 1994 on, there was none.

On late model C-10's, you can drain the fork oil out several ways. Turn the bike upside down over a bucket, or remove the fork cap (jack the front end up first!) and suction it out, or drain it during a normal/regular fork seal replacement.

Rick
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
  • 2001 Concours, ~35K miles
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2021, 11:43:19 PM »
Why do all forks not come with a drain and refill plug? I don't get this. Makes life so much easier.

Offline route66tc

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2021, 04:35:50 AM »
Why do all forks not come with a drain and refill plug? I don't get this. Makes life so much easier.
Anything to lower production costs and making it more difficult drives some folks to have the dealer do it for them.  I suppose drains could be added.  With that said, it's a good thing to pull the forks and clean everything completely.  I bet there are many out there that need new bushings inside.

Offline Freddy

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2021, 05:23:39 AM »

I agree 110% - you don't hafta worry about doing it.   ;D
The best substitute for brains is .............what?

Offline m in sc

• Polluting Rockhill with 2 strokes for decades.
    • 2 stroke world
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2021, 01:27:41 PM »
just take forks out and turn them over. then flush with mineral spirits, let dry, then refill after draining that out. the muck in the bottom should be cleaned out when you change fluid.   .02

I break and fix stuff.  No more concours's in the stables. see you guys around...