Author Topic: Picked up an '08 stock windshield today...  (Read 2692 times)

Offline twowheeladdict

Picked up an '08 stock windshield today...
« on: September 30, 2012, 06:29:07 AM »
Definitely an improvement for summer riding now that summer is over.  LOL!

I might cut an inch off so I can get more wind on my chest, but I do notice more wind on the arms as well with this shield. 

I am glad that Kawasaki put the shield they did on the new bikes, but it was just too much protection for the summer heat here in the south.

I will probably paint it either black or chrome if the humidity ever drops.

My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
Re: Picked up an '08 stock windshield today...
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 09:59:56 AM »
Chrome, on a black bike?  You'll give ZG a heart attack!

I bought one of those too, and it was great for the few weeks it was warm here.  Now I'm back to the Euro Tour, and the hand wings.  :(
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 10:14:01 AM »
I will probably paint it either black or chrome if the humidity ever drops.

:yikes:

Chrome, on a black bike?  You'll give ZG a heart attack!

:banghead:

I bought one of those too, and it was great for the few weeks it was warm here.  Now I'm back to the Euro Tour, and the hand wings.  :(

Yep, I ran the CB euro mini this summer, but now also have my CB euro tour and hand wings back on for winter.  :)

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 05:15:58 PM »
I knew ZG would just have to post.   ;D

I do have a chrome and black theme going.  Plus I figure the chrome would help the cagers see me better.  I will have to look see if I can find photos of other black bikes that sprayed the windshields chrome.

My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 04:47:05 AM »
I'm currently running the C14 stocker on my 08.  I have been running the CB Euro.  Typically I use that one in Spring, Fall, and Winter but have been using it this summer until recently.  What caused me to move away from the stocker in the first place was a severe head shake that worsened when my wife was with me.  No, it wasn't her grabbing my helmet and telling me to slow down because it did the same thing to her, but worse.  It also happened when close to the big rigs.  By the way, by head shake, I don't mean a mechanical issue with the bike.   It wasn't a loose nut between the bars if that's what you were thinking.

So I went with the CB Euro which gave more protection and eliminated the head shake.  Fuel economy dropped by about 2-3mpg.  Over time I've noticed more buffeting noise with the CB.  This was due to the unintended consequences of getting a Russell seat which put me up at least an inch or more in the saddle.  Evidently I was close to the edge (pun intended) of the top of the shield.  Rain and general wind protection were better than the stocker.

So back to the stocker about a month ago.  The wind noise is there but it's quite different and strangely enough more tolerable as it isn't of the drumming variety.  MPG went back up and I actually averaged about 50 on a three hundred miler on a combination of two and four lane with significant Interstate travel.  I didn't experience any of the head shake I had before but then I am also running Baker hand wings....   Don't know if that has anything to do with anything.

End result, I think I'll stick with the stocker for the summer months and not carrying a passenger.  I'll use the CB for trips in cooler weather.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, 06:09:54 AM »
So far I have noticed that my head is in the clean air above the shield and I have been up to pretty good speed to assess the '08 stock shield.  I don't have to worry about big trucks because I am only on the interstate for short bursts between the back roads I travel on.  If you can get the wind off the top of the shield to hit you just below your chest muscles your helmet should be in nice clean air.  Also, the wind helps support your body so you don't have too much weight on your hands or overtire your core muscles from holding you in the sport rider position.

I will put the '12 stock shield back on for the winter because it does provide a lot of protection when needed.  I usually raise it just enough to get the wind above my neck.  Any higher and it creates negative pressure.
My Concours Travels: